Assassin’s Creed 4: the franchise is “relevant”, Ubisoft justifies yearly sequels

Thursday, 2nd May 2013 13:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag creative director Jean Guesdon has stated that his team has proven that the franchise is relevant, and that it justifies yearly sequels. However, he admitted that the brand still has a long way to go.

Speaking with OXM, Guesdon said, “I think we have proven that this franchise is relevant, and that it has a long way to go. Our job as developers of this new opus is to surprise players and bringing fresh, different ideas, while at the same time ensuring that what makes AC such a stand-out franchise remains intact.

“With the scale and scope of the world we are building, the completely new setting, the new gameplay mechanics, and our new characters (both our hero and his supporting cast), we are definitely on track to get the job done and avoid fatigue altogether.”

When asked if his team feared competition from fellow sandbox games GTA 5 and Ubisoft’s own Watch Dogs, Guesdon replied, “We are actually really excited to play those games – both of their universes offer something fresh and different! But when it comes to what we’re doing, we believe our promise and setting are very different from both of those games.”

What do you think? Is Ubisoft’s cyclical approach to Assassin’s Creed wearing thin, or are you still hungry for more white-robed shenanigans? Let us know below.

1. sidspyker

Yeah right…

#1 12 months ago
  2. SolidGamerSnake

They can justify all they want. In the end the consumer will decide if that is the right path for the franchise.

#2 12 months ago
  3. Beta

It’s certainly wearing thin with me. I’ve yet to get round to completing AC3.

#3 12 months ago
  4. SlayerGT

I wish this wasn’t an AC game. I’ve been wishing for an action adventure pirate game forever. One with combat and sword play “just like assassins creed”. But man is the AC story garbage. Careful what you wish for I guess.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Rockin a Jack D

This is why $$$ (triple dollar) gaming is boring, its the same bullshit every year just to make a quick buck.

$$$ games are 90% shite, currently they are 95% shite, that’s my problem with them.

#5 12 months ago
  6. SameeR_Fisher

well I think Ubisoft is releasing Watch Dogs so close because they know Black Flag won’t be that great in terms of sales, or maybe I am wrong.

But Black Flag is not an AssCreed game, I don’t want to be a pirate, I don’t want Naval Battles to be a big part, why not make those a new IP or something ?!

AssCreed got a long way to go indeed, but if it remains like this, then down the toilet it will go, I stopped buying after Brotherhood.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Samoan Spider

Well whilst I’m not sure that its ‘current’ and ‘fresh’ I’m certain that I’ll be buying Black Flag purely on the basis that it merges the best bit of AC3 (naval battles) with pirates. Hopefully my hope isn’t misplaced but it looks to be a lot of fun. I agree that its all getting very stale at the minute, the games I play are so varied that I’m not just jumping from one TPS/FPS/RPG to the next. There’s tons in between so I’m actually ok with it.

#7 12 months ago
  8. salarta

The complaints about yearly sequels by some consumers is ridiculous. These people are judging without knowing a single thing about how Ubisoft creates these yearly sequels. It’s all internal, and only once has an Assassin’s Creed game been made by a branch of Ubisoft that wasn’t the core one behind the franchise.

The rest of the time, it’s different smaller teams within the same development team. It’s still the development team in the same company, and the people that work on these games see each other every day. And they don’t rush the games out, they generally take a couple years to make the games.

People are obsessed with the image of yearly releases that was created by the likes of Activision, where multiple projects are outsourced to other companies and rushed out the door. This is not the model Ubisoft is following, no matter how badly people want to think it is.

#8 12 months ago
  9. TheWulf

Wow. Someone sounds like they’re on the payroll. I don’t recognise the name, and keeping recent Metacritic shenanigans in mind I actually wouldn’t doubt that this is the case.

The problem isn’t that this is a bad game — it likely isn’t. The problem is that the IP is literally ass, it’s terrible. And it’s terrible for the same reason as Moffat’s Who isn’t exactly great right now. It deals with an ongoing plot that should have lasted two games at best, but how many games have we had under this IP, now?

At this point it feels like they’re slapping the IP on it just to make it sell. Which also means that they have to shoehorn in the poorly executed (if good as a concept) story and hold button to win gameplay. I’d imagine that you could probably play Assassin’s Creed with a couple of pecking birds. I don’t want that.

It could be an action-adventure game about pirates, it could be its own thing, and it could be so much more interesting. But it seems like Ubisoft has lost their way around some point after the release of the original Beyond Good & Evil. It’s just been a downhill slide from there.

—Edit—

What I’m saying is that I’m mildly interested enough in this to buy it. I’m very pessimistic about the mainstream so they have to try harder. The intro to Deus Ex: Human Revolution almost lost me because they only gave me a lethal weapon, which is so incredibly not Deus Ex, I stuck with it though and it got better. The initial feel I got from the trailers though of how it had its artsy moments was enough to drive me to buy it.

I want a piratey action-adventure, told well. That sounds novel. I’d love it. That’s enough to actually have me buy a game — but I won’t buy this one. Why? I’m sick of the Assassin’s Creed plot and gameplay, it’s cruel and destructive the way they keep drawing it out. It would be an act of mercy to just kill it off and move onto new IPs. I’m sure at one point AC could have been something, but its own sequel killed that potential, and now it’s just a necrotised corpse, reanimated to dance for the amusement of those easily swayed by big names on boxes.

#9 12 months ago
  10. 9teen

I hope the series doesn’t wear out too soon- I love this series.
    Revelations and ACIII(‘s ending -.-) not so much, but I love this series!
    I’d be happy as a fan for an annual release, if only to see what happens next in the AC universe, but personally I’d be more excited for a release every two years. More time to digest the storyline, work on those freaking multiplayer extras, and save monies for the many preorders for all the collectibles I waste on. ^~^
    Mmmmm, pre order collectibles.

#10 12 months ago
  11. TheWulf

Not only that but that would give them more time to conceptualise and write it. So it wouldn’t be so incredibly, you know, shit.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Cobra951

@9: I agree that it’s gone on too long, but I liked AC through Brotherhood. After that, it sank quickly. Revelations left me cold, and I didn’t bother with 3.

Hold button to win? Not in the games I played.

#12 12 months ago
  13. salarta

@9: … “Someone sounds like they’re on the payroll.” If you’re referring to Dave, I don’t see anything in the article that seems like it’s leaning any which way. If you’re referring to me, do you really think Ubisoft would pay me to defend them given how some people on this site have been really pissy about comments I make about other games? They’d probably sooner pay me to say I hate the franchise than like it. I wouldn’t put Metacritic skewing past any big name video game company, though.

As for the IP and its quality, agree to disagree. I avoided it for the longest time until a fan of the franchise literally gifted me every game except the first one. I agree about Moffat’s run of Doctor Who though, I haven’t cared about the Eleventh Doctor at all and recently stopped watching the show out of disinterest.

#13 12 months ago
  14. aaron_avelino

i hope ubisoft put the same amount of resources to its other franchises like the Tom Clany brand cuz for me they have more potential of being a game changer for the company.

#14 12 months ago
  15. hitnrun

A person likes Assassin’s Creed until they wholly reconcile the sci-fi mystery yarn that unfortunately permeates every second of the series with the fact that Ubisoft plans to release a new title plus a new handheld title every year until they Guitar Hero the franchise, and in actuality the plot we are following does not, in fact, even exist.

It’s basically a Dan Brown novel if Dan Brown attempted to write a 1000 page novel without having any plan beyond the next dozen pages, and also wasn’t married to the 1000 page limit.

Maybe it could work (at least in the sense that Call of Duty “works”) if they ditched the awful metaplot and just let you tool around the city as an Assassin who is some way associated with some kind of Creed, but they insist on making it iterative and connected. I stopped caring with Brotherhood and I only bought that to try the admittedly excellent multiplayer.

#15 12 months ago