Alan Wake has sold over 2 million copies

Tuesday, 30th April 2013 20:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Alan Wake has sold over 2 million copies, according to Remedy’s Oskari Häkkinen.

Speaking with CVG Häkkinensaid the game is now considered a “cult classic.”

“We’ve moved over two million copies – that’s including PC,” he said. “So after a slow start it’s turning into something really positive. It’s definitely had legs. I think narrative experiences just have a tendency for that.

“Alan Wake’s like a cult classic if you like. People who have played and enjoyed the story feel the urge to tell their friends and other gamers out there that they need to try this experience, they need to play it.”

Häkkinen went on to say the series has a future, as it’s very “close” to the firm’s heart.

“It’s our IP – we own it. It’s not something that we’re going to forget very easily,” he said. “After Max Payne we could’ve literally gone, the whole team, and sat on a beach and sipped cocktails for quite some time. It’s no secret that the Max Payne franchise was sold [to Rockstar, Take-Two] for $45 million.

“That put us in a really promising situation, but at the same time our hearts are in making video games and not in sipping cocktails on the beach.”

American Nightmare was the last entry in the series, and it’s been rumored for ages the firm has “Alan Wake 2″ in the works, possibly for next-gen.

1. Triggerhappy

Awesome Awesome Awesome. Love these guys :D

#1 1 year ago
  2. salarta

I wish this game sold more than that, but at least it’s successful enough. Great quality game, we need more like it.

#2 1 year ago
  3. ChameleonX

I’m glad 2 million sold can be considered a success these days…ahem Square-Enix…

#3 1 year ago
  4. _LarZen_

Here’s hoping Alan Wake 2 will be shown at E3 for next gen consoles….

#4 1 year ago
  5. polygem

yep, enjoyed it too. a good game. lots of twin peaks references…but hey, that´s not a bad thing in my book!

#5 1 year ago
  6. fearmonkey

It deserved many more sales, it’s an awesome game.
    The PC version is gorgeous and cheap on Steam sales, i highly recommend getting it even if you have played the console version as I did.
    Remedy is one of those devs I’ll buy from day one.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ManuOtaku

I did like this game a lot and it is one of my favorite games on the xbox, i hope they can work some things that need to be fix in order to have a great game, i cannot wait for alan wake 2.

#7 1 year ago
  8. loki

@6 port sucks

“We’ve moved over two million copies – that’s including PC,” lol including less than 100k copies on PC

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

@3: Again, Squeenix invested a ridiculous amount of money in marketing and development, as well as years of development. I’m also fairly sure that one of the games in question only sold as much as it did because of rampant dislike/hatred toward the starring character in their proper state as a result of undue negative perceptions of that character.

#9 1 year ago
  10. theevilaires

I still have to pick this up for my 360. One of the exclusives I actually want to play now.

#10 1 year ago
  11. roadkill

I bought it, but never had the time to play it.. :(

#11 1 year ago
  12. Moonwalker1982

Still waiting for the reveal of what they have been teasing since last year before E3 and early this year. Has to be Alan Wake 2 :D

#12 1 year ago
  13. sg1974

A grossly underrated game. Great reviews from all the critics who matter, so it should have done better numbers. What went wrong? Marketing?

#13 1 year ago
  14. salarta

@13: Someone around here said that they were involved in the game and the company marketed the hell out of it. It was strange to me to read that, because I’d never heard of it even once until it popped up on a Steam sale. My best guess is that the marketing they did was focused on the 360. It was published by Microsoft and exclusive to the 360 for a while before it finally got released on PC two whole years later. And we’ve all seen how insanely pervasive marketing campaigns can generate at least a few million in sales no matter what.

#14 1 year ago
  15. freedoms_stain

I didn’t like it :p

#15 1 year ago
  16. sg1974

@15 PS3 FANBOI! SDF!

There; just did about 5 commentors’ work for them. ;o)

#16 1 year ago
  17. DSB

I think your mileage kinda depends on how much you love killing disintegrating ethereal lumberjacks.

I’m somewhere in the middle.

It had loads of potential, but it wasn’t smooth enough for an action game, it wasn’t intense enough for a horror game, and it didn’t have enough to discover to be an adventure game, so it really ended up as something resoundingly average.

#17 1 year ago
  18. voxelman

You realise the source is over a year old right? Why does this keep getting posted lately? I mean check the date of the CVG story “13th Mar 2012″ not to mention the story includes a comment that the PC version was “released on PC last month”.

This is just sloppy reporting.

#18 1 year ago