Heavy Rain cost €16.7 million, Sony made “more than €100 million” on it

Friday, 19th April 2013 16:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Quantic Dream’s Guillaume de Fondaumiere has said Heavy Rain cost €16.7 million to develop, and once distribution and marketing costs were added, the total came to €40 million. Still, the game was profitable: “Sony earned more than €100 million with this game,” he told the Digital Dragons audience in Poland today.

During his talk, de Fondaumiere said such success should give publishers reason to push for innovation.

“We should stop thinking that innovation rhymes with unprofitable,” he said. “Creating new experiences is also a way to expand the market.

“We need, as an industry, to be probably more creative, and probably stop creating, every year, the same games over again. Maybe create new IPs. We need publishers of course to take the risk to create new IPs. But we also need the audience to [vote with their wallets].

“It’s important that the entire ecosystem be more creative for this entire media to step up. I don’t want to convince everyone. Part of the industry is going to continue to create sequels on a yearly basis.

“There are cycles. We’ve seen that in the past, at one particular moment, a franchise, when you overdo it, the franchise falls apart and needs to be reviewed. Tomb Raider is a very good example of a prime IP that iteration after iteration became almost irrelevant. People didn’t want to play any more Tomb Raider. It took several years for a developer to create a new iteration that would again be attractive to the market.

“What I would like to see is publishers taking more risks and have a balanced approach between the sequels they are financing year after year, and the new projects that they are developing, and this balanced approach will make for a more appealing industry overall.

“Today we are seeing a crisis. We are seeing a market that is in decline… there is a certain creative crisis that is, in part, the reason why some gamers are playing less”.

de Fondaumiere feels this can only be resolved by offering new IP which will help “woo a new audience to games.”

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. DSB

Pssst, headline. Looks like it cost Sony 100 million.

#1 1 year ago
  2. dex3108

Wow 23 million on marketing!

#2 1 year ago
  3. Stu

Is it now beyond VG247 to post stories from anywhere other than Neogaf?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Giskard

@3 This was from Eurogamer. At least check before you complain?

#4 1 year ago
  5. melonbuster1

Yes it made that money because everyone was fooled. ! Myself included. . I purchased this boring ass sleep aid. And took it back 3 days later .. doesn’t count huh! ?.. well it does. The game sucks

#5 1 year ago
  6. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Thanks! Having multitasking issues today. :D

#6 1 year ago
  7. PEYJ

@ 5

Absolutely loved it.

As for de Foundamiere’s example with TR: it wasn’t a annually returning franchise after TR:Chronicles. If they had waited with TR: Angel of Darkness and TR: Legend it would still have sold badly. They needed a new direction and it got just that. For my part they still need to do something different for the next iteration in the series but overall I mostly liked it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gheritt White

It may have cost Quantic Dream only $16.7M in man months, but the actual cost of development would be greater than that, especially when you consider *all* the texture art was outsourced.

#8 1 year ago
  9. DrDamn

Where do you get the idea that wasn’t included already?

Marketing and distribution (from original article).

#9 1 year ago
  10. No_PUDding

Gheritt, outsourcing is LESS expensive, that’s why people do it.

And it also helps they’re in Paris, I mean, it’s not cheap there, but France in general is not like LA, it’s not even like Frankfurt/London.

Living costs are reasonable.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

@5 – Well, I loved it. And not only did I love it, but I have not found a game that turns non-gamers into gamers quicker than Heavy Rain.

#11 1 year ago
  12. dreamcastnews

My favourite game of this generation. By a long way.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Djoenz

My favo game of this generation is UC2 but Heavy Rain is pretty close. So far aye I think The Last Of Us will sweep me off my feet…well I hope it will that is.

Splinter Cell from Xbox however was freaking sweet as well. Screw favorites they all good!

#13 1 year ago
  14. Gheritt White

I simply can’t believe it only cost €16.7 million – I just can’t get my head round it.

Actually, that said it didn’t have very many different systems during play. And it’s not like it was open world or multiplayer. Still, astonishing.

#14 1 year ago
  15. theevilaires

Awesome news congrats SONY. One more win for team PlayStation! :)

#15 1 year ago
  16. DrDamn

They are a relatively small team too aren’t they?

#16 1 year ago
  17. woe

Headline is misleading.

#17 1 year ago
  18. CyberMarco

^ care to enlighten us?

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

BAAARRRGHH!! I’M WOE AND NOTHING THAT EVER HAPPENS TO SONY CAN EVER BE POSITIVE!!! BLAAARRGHH!! *shits self*

That’s what you sound like, Woe.

#19 1 year ago
  20. monkeygourmet

You came across as ‘calm and collected’… But… Troll got you goooooooood! :D

#20 1 year ago
  21. MidlifeAxe

‘Heavy Rain cost €16.7 million’ it cost them €16.7mil to make.

‘Sony made “more than €100 million” on it’ They made over a €100mil from it.

Make sense now?

#21 1 year ago
  22. polygem

i respect the game for trying something fresh…for me it didn’t work at all though. i “played” one third of it and then never finished it. actually couldn’t find ANY fun in the game. the setting, the story, the gameplay, nothing got me hooked. that’s why i am not that interested in beyond at this point.

#22 1 year ago
  23. sg1974

€100 million? Seriously? How? Did it sell 10 million or something?

#23 1 year ago
  24. Digital Bamboo

I think I’ll start this game tonight. I like to switch genres as drastically as possible from one game to the next, and I just finished God of War II, so I figure this is about as far away from that as I can get.

#24 1 year ago
  25. sh4dow

@23: How much do games cost where you live?! o_O

Had they sold 10 million at an average price of say $40 (taking into account discounts later on), that would’ve meant $400M, minus those $40M it cost to make it – $360M.

#25 1 year ago
  26. sg1974

But the price you pay isn’t the price paid to Sony, right? Part of the amount goes to manufacturing and distribution, then a chunk goes to the retailer.

#26 1 year ago