Battlefield 4 features include return of 64-player maps, more – rumor

Tuesday, 19th March 2013 18:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A list of purported Battlefield 4 features have popped up online courtesy of the fella who leaked the artwork last week.

According to information provided to Battlefield 4 Central, the next iteration in the franchise has three factions, a Commander feature, and the return of 64-player maps.

Maps in the game will supposedly be larger and have more details and will ship with the same number of maps as Battlefield 3 with plans for “lots” of DLC – already in the planning stages.

The three factions listed are US, Russia, and an unnamed “Eastern/Asian” faction and four playable classes which have been tweaked with additional features. The game will also come with more game modes and more close quarter infantry maps than BF3 before it.

Battlefield 4 Premium will be available on day one “and include some perks,” and some sort of integration between BF3 and BF4 will be available – most likely through Battlelog-only.

Hit up the link for the full rundown of the rumors.

Battlefield 4 will be revealed at an off-site event during GDC March 26.

Thanks, James.

1. Badumtsss

What do you mean “return”. 64 players map are present in BF3.

2. OnionPowder

@1 Not on consoles.

3. powerbuoy

Sounds really promising imo.

4. Badumtsss

@2 nowhere in the source text is said that the 64 player maps will “return” to consoles :P

5. IL DUCE

@1 Yeah seriously I thought I was on crack or something…headlines are so vague, just specify 64-player maps return “to consoles”

6. KineticCalvaria

Next gen consoles most likely will have 64. Commanders back too, woo. Can’t wait for this game, bit concerned about more Close Quarters maps though… eek.

7. Erthazus

If Battlefield 4 will be graphically the same as BF3 on the PC then 64 players is reality for the next gen consoles.

but damn, 2013 year and consoles will get a Battlefield game with 64 players. Battlefield 2 did this long time ago. Even Battlefield 1942 did this.
    Consoles are consoles. The most retarded place to play mp games. EA will probably say that it is TRUE innovation.

I hope for a PC platform they will push numbers even more. I want some serious business on the PC platform.

8. Hunam

Commander mode!!!!

9. Erthazus

^ thousand times YES.

But it won’t happen.

10. The_Red

Maybe PS4 or Xbox Next consoles. I think PS3 / 360 will stick to 32 players ones (Along with Wii U probably).

11. freedoms_stain

Server-side hit or no buy.

edit: @The_Red, 32 players would be an upgrade for the current consoles, they’re capped at 24.

12. DSB

They should double that. 120 soldiers isn’t a lot, especially split in two.

13. Erthazus

64 vs 64 would be awesome on the PC. But that requires some serious balance.

14. nollie4545

If they can finally recapture the team work element of old as found in the original battlefield games on PC, I’ll buy into the franchise. If not, they can shove it.

15. Max Payne

I am pretty sure this is true ” DLC already in the planning stages.”

16. LuLshuck

DLC already in the planning stages

you guys complain about dlc but get hardons when its about battlefield

you guys are mainly the reason why EA does this

tards

17. CPC_RedDawn

I remember there being a game on PC ages ago called World War 2 Online. I think that was something like 2000 players bit obviously the graphics werent that good.

I want BF4 THREE WAY TEAM DEATHMATCH!!!

32 V 32 V 32

Would be awesome!!

18. Iliad

This: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=50722095&postcount=1

In short. 64 players on PC and next gen consoles. 24 players on current gen consoles. Disappointingly, 720p, although 60fps.

19. CPC_RedDawn

@16 Maybe because the BF3 DLC is actually worth it.

More maps, guns, attachments, vechiles, game modes, skins, and achievements.

Not like COD £15 for Three new maps and two rehashed ones. They are only just adding more guns.

20. RocknRolla

Day one buy! Going Premium agaigain as well :) this is not COD guys this is Battlefield and Battlefield is worth every penny! Takes skill to play this not to say that the visuals and feel in the game is 10 times better :)

21. LuLshuck

@19 lawl didnt even say cod was good for value but BF3s season pass is still a fucking rip, remember when you could get all that shit for about $20 *expansions*

tard

22. Fin

Mmmm, 720p 60fps!

23. LuLshuck

@20 yeah skill to camp the whole map with sniper rifles

DAAA FKN SKILLLZZZZ ONN ITTT

24. OlderGamer

I hope they don’t do more player renting server stuff. That is when I stoped playing the game on xb360(BF3). It became hard for me to get the servers I wanted, ironicly I just wanted DICE run ones with mostly normal peramiters(I did like the hardcore ones), but hated stuff like xXs tickets.

I really have enjoyed this game over the years. I only bought the early BF3 DLC, infact I think only the Karkand stuff that came with the preorder. It just felt too much for a game that I didn’t enjoy as much as I once did. I agree that the DLC here offers more value then in some other games. But it is only worth it if you going to spend a large amount of time on the game, and by the time the DLC/expansions started hitting, I wasn’t playing much.

Mild interest in BF4. Will wait and see what happens. Or and if I buy a PS4 or even if BF4 is on the PS4(you would assume so, but ya never know).

25. Len

Commander mode will, hopefully, make all the diff on random public servers and make more team work the norm. Absolutely can’t wait… :)

26. KineticCalvaria

720p on next-gen? That can’t be true, the new consoles should at least be capable of BF3 PC graphics at 60 fps/1080p. I hope its not true!

Also hoping that supply crates, artillery etc return for BF4 with commander mode.

27. Hussar

Another crapshooter with redundant features and cliche SP, hence the so-called “storyline”. Totally will not buy BF4. Boycotting.

28. splashofartstudios

This premium garbage…and dlc already planned…Never again EA…Never again.

29. CyberMarco

I really liked BF3, it was my first game in the series. I want to see how BF4 turns out and if I’ll like it I’ll do what I did with BF3. Get the base game from a CD-key store for ~18€ and get the premium on sale for 50% less than original price.

30. nollie4545

Lol to the max, 720P, but yeah 60fps, we’re beating PCs now!!

31. harr0w

Sounds like what I’m playing on my PC now but with more CODlike influence. Good old super consoles holding back progress as usual. My interest withers by the day.

32. Erthazus

“720P, but yeah 60fps, we’re beating PCs now!!”

I played BF3 in 2560×1440 resolution in 60 frames per second. Man.

33. Max Payne

@32 I think he was sarcastic.

Also I think there was some research and lot of people still have crt display or 720p lcd.
    So kinda pointless focusing on 1080p on consoles

34. strych9

how about mod support like the original 1942/bfv/bf2 series!!! Dice has lost all respect from me after they sold out to EA. what happened to dices “map making contests”? hows this for a win-win situation, sell us a dev kit. which you have to have to play mods, for 50 bucks. that way we can make all your expacs, and you dont have to do crap. or you can still make expacs and make even more money. As for me, I think ill be passing on the new battlefield “every year” thing. bad company 2 was a flop because of “cooking files”. and we were promised a “back to the roots” with bf3. well got suckered again. It was a good game, but the lack of maps/mods and server controls killed it for me(not to mention its a console port). instead you had to drip feed expacs to get more money. It seems like its the players fault that this is going this way too. people get excited thay can throw money at them for a few more vehicles/maps. and thank them. obviously they are not veterans of the original series. where mods were promoted by dice. and we got many maps/mods/weapons/vehicles/game modes/etc/etc for FREE. now its why make 500 million when we can make a billion? and be thanked for it.
    as for consols, thats a whole nother rant. but in short, they killed/stalled gaming evolution.

35. nollie4545

Yeah but we’ll have GDDR5 RAMS,…you PC master race haven’t got GDDR5 RAMS. That means our $400 console will whoop your £1000 PC into the ground… Got it?! Better to have 720P with 60fps than 1080P with only 40fps fules!! Console FTW! All about the RAMs!!

Seriously, frames per second is an irrelevance, provided it is high enough and smooth enough to provide sound gameplay, it doesn’t matter if it is 30, 40, 60 or 100 fps the average gamer won’t be able to tell the difference if draw time remains stable. Also your average gamer has no way of knowing his true FPS so that kind of blows him.

The real bug bear is quality settings. I know a lot of console goons won’t admit it, but ultimately, if you aren’t capable of running at at least medium or high settings, ultimately, you’re not getting full value for money from your that software you are shelling out for. Anyone who really disagrees with this is being dishonest, you can’t say that a game played on low settings vs a game played on high settings is truly a match. I know not all gamers are graphics orientated but then better graphics is surely the major justification for buying next gen consoles anyway?