Psychonauts 2 needs $18m to happen, Notch backs away from funding

Tuesday, 5th February 2013 12:42 GMT By Dave Cook

Psychonauts 2 looked like a faint possibility last year, after Minecraft creator Markus ‘Notch’ Persson Tweeted Tim Schafer saying that they should band together and make it happen. As it turned out, the game would need $18 million to become a reality. Needless to say, Notch is out.

Persson explained what happened to the proposed tag-team effort in a Reddit thread, “I somewhat naively thought ‘a couple of million’ was two million. I had no doubt in my mind that a Psychonauts 2 would earn that money back easily. Turns out they wanted 18 million dollars, haha.”

While Notch’s studio Mojang made a reported $240 million last year alone, Notch isn’t prepared to stump up that amount of cash readily, but he does enjoy the idea of funding projects once he steps away from development.

He added, “Perhaps in some distant future when I’m no longer trying to make games, I could get into angel investing. I’ve made one private investment into a game so far, at $100K, and it’s frankly a lot more work than I thought.”

Speaking with VG247, Double Fine did confirm that it had more Psychonauts stories to be told and that Tim Schafer always has ideas in mind on where it could go next.

Would you like to see it happen? Let us know below.

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. YoungZer0

#1 1 year ago
  2. foofly

How about a series of Psychonauts episodes? Small, self contained stories. These could be cheaper to make and without a huge, up front investment. Just a thought.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Len

So who is ‘they’? Is he saying Double Fine wanted/needed $18m?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@4 Yes.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Ignatius_Cheese

Come on Tim! Get on Kickstarter! $18m? Pah! You could easily make $20m…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dodg3r

@1 haha that sums it up :D

#6 1 year ago
  7. DSB

Psychonauts aka the last Double Fine title with truly good gameplay.

Erik Robson who was lead design is at Valve now though.

#7 1 year ago
  8. silkvg247

I’d love to know how they came to that number..

#8 1 year ago
  9. NeoSquall

@9 Art Development, Level Design, Audio (Sound and voice) Development, a decent Score, Salary for all personnel…

I’d say it’s even cheap for an AAA production.

#9 1 year ago
  10. mreko3230

I don’t understand why more developers and publisehrs don’t follow the movie model and have multiple investors in on a game. Most movies have 4-5 investors easy. That being said, if I won the lottery, I would invest the $18 million- I think the game would make that back easily. (as long as that $18 million includes advertising and licensing).

#10 1 year ago
  11. DSB

@11 This kinda sheds light on how archaic the games industry is, and how badly independent developers get screwed:

#11 1 year ago
  12. friendlydave

@9 the first Pschonauts had around $15 million budget..

You know..not a big fan of Double Fine games, couldn’t care less for a Psychonauts 2. Iron brigade was the only game I really enjoyed.

#12 1 year ago
  13. TheWulf

All that money, Notch, and you can’t spare $18m for something you claimed to believe in? Well, that’s changed my perception of him ever so slightly.

#13 1 year ago