BioShock Infinite box art features DeWitt prominently

Saturday, 1st December 2012 13:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

2K has sent over the box art for BioShock Infinite featuring protagonist Booker DeWitt. It looks the same for all three formats, except for the PS3 version, which contains Move and original BioShock logos – both of which were announced for the game in March 2012.  Irrational’s Ken Levine said on Twitter he’d have “something to show” regarding Elizabeth on the back of the box, “the tv ad, and the key art soon.” Enjoy the box art below. Game’s out on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 February 26, 2013.

1. Dragon246

Hulky protagonist brandishing a weapon with a “cool” pose……
    Saw that coming.

Worth noting that the ps3 version comes with original bioshock on disc.

2. Sherif Saed

Oh ffs, why didn’t they choose something more generic ?

3. orakaa

Original Bioshock on the same disc and Move support? Sweet ^^
    I’ll definitely take it then. I played the first one on PC but my save got deleted right before the end.

4. pukem0n

only thing missing is voice work by Nolan North

5. Beta

Oh, no. I don’t approve Irrational. Why not put him in combat gear and give him a buzz cut while you’re at it.

6. Ireland Michael

The pose is fitting. The theme of the story is supposed to centered around people’s warped perceptions of heroism and patriotism, and when those kind of ideologies are taken to an extreme. From what I’ve seen of the game so far, it seems Booker has something of an excessive himself ego in regards to that theme, so it suits him.

That and it’s just great art anyway, somewhat predictable as it may be.

Hey, at least he’s not positioned centre stage of the box, walking towards the viewer…

7. zinc

A first-person shooter videogame, which will be purchased by a predominantly male userbase features a male on the cover, holding a gun?

And the internet has the usual mangina twitch :-/

Maybe it should have featured the female character… I forget her name, she looks like a 12 year old, with the tits of Pamela Anderson… No that wouldn’t work, that’d cause a full-on mangina spasm.

8. The_Red

What the FUCK is this? Really? Are they intentionally trying to ruin this game from the inside? First the strange radio silence, then the departure of many key figures from the studio MONTHS before it is released. Then the talk of multi player and then denying its existence / confirming its removal…
    And now this. Why display Songbird, Elizabeth or any part of the interesting world when we have a white mate with a gun?

9. vormison

Soooo, you’re telling me you’re not a fan? Haha.

10. CyberMarco

What’s all this fuss about? It’s just a cover…

11. PapaJustify

Guy looks like Felix Baumgartner. Fitting when you realize that Felix also is somewhat of a hero in the sky.

12. DSB

I miss the days when videogame covers dared to be this awesome:

13. nani17

Remember chin down eyes up.

14. zinc

@8, indeed! Why have the lead protagonist on the box-art? Carrying one of the many guns you will use?

What we’re they thinking!!?

It’s like their deliberately trying to attract an audience outside of the molehill mountain makers, that twitch whine all over the internet!

15. Stephany Nunneley

@12 I honestly laughed my ass off a couple times at that, but not near as hard as with #1. I am laughing as I type this.

@13 – :D – they all look like rapists. And I guess that’s the point.

16. osric90

We hate haters because they hate we hate them.

17. Erthazus

Terrible cover.

18. Phoenixblight

Yeah this cover is pretty horrible but I had games with worse covers come out with gems inside the case.

19. zinc

Actually, bring on the scorn. The more forum hysteria over nonsense, the more succesful the subject will be.

20. Stephany Nunneley

While I have indeed seen worse, I have to agree with many others on the subject: where is Elizabeth?

So much has been made of her since the game was announced, and she is such an important part of the game, so it stands to reason – you would think – that she would appear on the cover somewhere.

Maybe it’s a panoramic and the scene continues on the back – and she’s there. Who knows. I still find it a bit odd though.

@6 “…at least he’s not positioned centre stage of the box, walking towards the viewer…”

THIS. I am so sick of the “look bad ass and walk in slo-mo towards the camera” that I could scream. Whoever came up with that concept needs slapped. Hard.

21. Phoenixblight

Its like having a scantily clad woman with a lollipop to her mouth on the cover of Wizard of Oz.

I wonder if the artist who did the boxart had even played the game or at least read the interviews about the game.

22. Stephany Nunneley

Levine’s tweet on the box art has been added.

23. Gekidami

I dont really see the difference between this guy saying “Look at mah gun, imma badass” and the original Bioshock cover with Big Daddy saying “Look at mah drill, also imma badass monster”. I mean the original Bioshock’s cover was less generic than this, but its not like the series has a high standard to respect. ICO this is not. And having Elizabeth’s boobs spilling all over the cover would just have caused a whole different argument.

24. zinc

I’m looking at the DVD cover for Inception & god how generic! You got Leo looking all cool with a gun centre stage, flanked with his crew left & right, two of whom are also carrying guns, so we know their cool…

For a film all about dreams & altered states, it’s just so bland! I’ve a good mind to tweet about it, or maybe rant on a forum, about the importance of innovative box-art being very important for a medium you watch on your tv.

Oh wait, no I won’t, I’m not a raging freak :-/

Steph, I can’t believe your getting dragged into this madness!?

25. Phoenixblight

Says the person that has gone the same thread, 4 times, complaining about the people complaining. Pot meet Kettle.

26. freedoms_stain

If I was going to do this sort of cover I’d have went for something along the lines of a clenched plasmid fist or something like that.

This looks like an Uncharted game.

27. zinc

@25 Ad hominem retort is ad hominem.

I’m just fascinated at the level of entitlement on display . All these fans who previously were blown away by previews, now reacting furiously to boxart that has failed to excite them.

I wonder what they’ll put on the mantlepiece now? Oh wait they won’t, they never would, because its a box cover.

@26, Like a uncharted “box cover”. We all know the game is completely different… Unless of course we are all now going tojudge this game on box art alone?

28. Phoenixblight

It is just a boxart. People are just saying their opinions. I have not seen a single person on this thread saying “Not getting this game because of the boxart.” Just opinions so your need to bash people because of not liking the boxart is pointless.

29. mathare92

It’s basically the Drake’s Fortune cover in reverse.

30. BLACK RAZOR

curta>>>http://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-of-Games/147950182010844

31. zinc

@28, I’m stating my opinion on the hysteria of the box-arts reception. I can’t remember the last time something so minor was so critically addressed . Its laughable.

But please, people feel free to whinge about how something that will spend most of its time wedged in your collection, with only its spine showing, has somehow let the game down.

32. Dragon246

I never expected 31 comments on this (just checked, 32 comments). I just made the first comment on impulse, in a sarcastic way. But I guess more than a few people are bummed on this.
    What #28 is said is true, just stating opinions. The game, from what we have seen so far, is awesome. Buying it on ps3 after June, as I have crunch time before then.

On topic again. The concept of having a single protagonist badassing/looking angry/masturbating of game cover is a pretty strong idea. I don’t know about the first games that latched onto it, but this idea works otherwise 90% (made up %) of games wont have featured this. In fact, as far as I know, proper research is done by marketing companies to find out the best, eye-catching cover designs.
    But now the problem arrives. The idea , no matter how good it is, loses its shine when everyone copies it. A good cover art is not only meant to look good, but also allow itself to get differentiated from many others that are lying besides it on shops. Only then it can be considered great. The idea here has been used far too many times on far too many games that it has lost its “differentiation” value.
    And remember, outside of core gaming community, there are quite a few gamers who buy games just based on cover, like many of us would have sometime in their lives bought a book/magazine/something else just based on title or cover.

Or its just me getting high and picky on an non-issue on a gaming site for nerds (which all gaming sites are) :P

33. Dragon246

Just a trivia, Booker is voiced by Troy Baker, a famous voice actor who is also voicing Joel in The Last Of Us , Vincent in Catherine and many other notable roles in various games and animes. Nearly as many roles as Nolan North, with animes being a plus.

34. Ireland Michael

@20 I’m pretty sure it was Call of Duty that popularized the whole centered character boxart. It was okay the first five dozen times. Now it’s just tedious.

35. zinc

^ Actually, centered character box-art has been popular since VHS… Well actually since anyone used anyone to sell anything…

But hey-ho videogame nerds ignoring the whole history of “other” media, is nothing new.

36. Maximum Payne

Well before modern warfare , call of duty games had more group soldiers and showing battlefield

And after modern warfare is random generic soldier.

37. Dave Cook

It’s just a cover, I don’t see the big deal. As long as the game is awesome I don’t mind.

Could be a naked Gabe Newell for all I care.

38. Ireland Michael

@35 I was solely talking about the existence of this sort of boxart image as it relates to video games.

You criticized someone for making an ad-hominem attack earlier in The thread, and then proceed to do the exact same thing a few posts later? Get off your inflattable, rubbery, polka dotted high horse, please.

The almost dead centre character, faceing towards the viewer, has become such a common image for video game boxart in recent years that it’s pretty much become a cliche of its own. It wasn’t even a criticism of Call of Duty either, just an observation.

For a perfect example of it, just compare the boxart of Darksiders 1 to Darksiders 2.

@37 Be careful what you wish for…

39. zinc

@38, No, I’m staying up here. The view is hilarious ;-)

@37, At last a voice of reas… Wait what!?

40. DSB

It’s just an example of piss poor branding. It’s not offensive, it’s just uninspired and utterly forgettable.

I’m sure Irrational Games has artists capable of a lot better than that.

41. Phoenixblight

They don’t use their own artists for this they hire a marketing firm outside of the company to do the box arts. Its cheaper that way.

42. HauntaVirus

This is all just a little bit irrational…

43. Maximum Payne

The amount of comments for simple cover is just bioshocking.

44. freedoms_stain

Would You Kindly cease the puns.