Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 revealed: every detail

Tuesday, 1st May 2012 08:00 GMT By Staff

Activision has officially announced Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 for a November 13 worldwide release, envisioning a new Cold War in the year 2025.

Activision released the first trailer for Call of Duty: Black Ops 2. The video confirms a 2025 setting, featuring glimpses of Los Angeles under attack. A Middle Eastern setting, robots and even horses are spotted in the trailer.

Sgt Frank Woods, the co-protagonist of the original Black Ops, also appears in the video. The game will take place in two timelines: the late 1980s as the end of the Cold War as Alex Mason from Black Ops 1 and 2025 as Mason’s son David.

The story sees the US and China in a second Cold War over Rare Earth Elements, used to built tech devices and military weapons. Part of the war is also instigated by antagonist Raul Menendez, who’s hacked into drones and various robotic weapons to kick off the war’s combat. The 80s timeline will show what started Menendez’s path down the events in Black Ops 2.

Its story will come from co-writer of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight David Goyer.

Black Ops 2 will supposedly answer the question of what happened at the end of the first game, according to Kotaku, regarding Mason. When asked about the return of Gary Oldman’s Reznov character, Treyarch boss Mark Lamia and game director Dave Anthony played coy.

Pre-orders have now gone live in the UK, and GameStop stores will offer pre-order incentives in four waves.

The first wave starts May 2 with the offer of a limited edition, two-sided poster. PowerUp Rewards members who pre-order by June 30 will also net a Prestige Token for MW3 as well as all bonuses coming in the additional waves which are to be announced in July, August, and October, respectively.

The publisher has gone live with an official website for the game, which will release on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on November 13, and released two early screens:

In the wake of the trailer’s release, information has begun hitting in earnest. Although multiplayer is still largely under wraps, Treyarch boss Mark Lamia confirmed the game will have the biggest and best zombies mode to date. The developer hopes to support eSports, but won’t commit to dedicated servers just yet.

Treyarch game design director David Vonderhaar told OPM UK multiplayer would go down “a different route” than whats previously been on offer.

“Lets take all this stuff we had and strip it down to its core. Let’s challenge these long held assumptions we’ve had about how systems work. Why does create a class work the way it does. Why do killstreaks work the way they do. Why is the unlock progression exactly the way its been before. Why do we have to start with what we had before?”

Vonderhaar added Black Ops 2 would have a “well-designed gameplay system” instead of refining it from past games.

“Let’s challenge the assumption we have to start from the game we had before. Figure what’s really important to the game and keeping it simple and fast and pure and clean. Let’s get rid of some baggage. Let’s just create a really well created gameplay system period; regardless of whether we had it before.”

On the single-player side, the series will venture into non-linearity for the first time with Strike Force missions, allowing players to take on various roles around the battlefield and directly impact the game’s plot. The game’s story follows on directly from the first Black Ops, and is part of a different canon than other Call of Duty games.

Retired US marine lieutenant colonel Oliver North, who was convicted of selling weapons to Iran in the late 80s before being cleared on appeal, has been brought in as a consultant to the game. Watch him talk about his involvement in the game below.

Activision has 300 staffers on Black Ops 2 at the moment, and some of the tech Treyarch is using is shared between studios.

Treyarch has also promised (via OneofSwords) a “visual overhaul” for the game. The studio’s Dan Bunting showed off an unpopulated level from Socotra Island in Yemen featuring work on HDR lighting, self-shadowing, bounce lighting and reveal mapping, a new texture technique.

Leaky

The debut of the trailer came ahead of what was expected to be an official reveal during the NBA Playoffs overnight in the US, but the identity of the game began leaking in earnest last weekend.

The reveal confirms a video last week from FPSRussia indicated the next CoD would be set in a futuristic timeline by at least 10-15 years; the original Black Ops took place within the 60s and 70s during the Vietnam War and the Cold War..

Assets from the game’s website were spotted online before the website went live, showing the game’s box-art, logo and the release date of November 13 (thanks, Robotix).

[By Johnny Cullen, Patrick Garratt, Stephany Nunneley and Brenna Hillier]

1. Johnny Cullen

Very excited by what happens with this year. Didn’t feel it last year with MW3, but I really enjoyed Black Ops a great deal more than probably MW2 or MW3.

2. The_Red

Same here. I don’t play or care about multiplayer but my god, Black Ops’ campaign was a real treat. Crazy B-movie action with sublime soundtrack (Using many awesome and famous tracks instead of “glorious / tragic / Trailer-ready” music of MW games).

3. Freek

Doesn’t everybody already know exactly what game this is going to be? We know how CoD sequels go by now. Same game as last year. Except some new guns and levels.
    It’s the Fifa of FPS games.

4. Patrick Garratt

@3 – Yeah. That’s the problem, for me. We all know what it’ll be. You can change the setting, but the formula can’t ever change. Like, I’ll still play it, but I’m starting to think it’s caught between a rock and a hard place.

5. Edo

@1 I’m actually more interested about what will they do next since after a long time it wont be a sequel…probably :) .

6. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, the FIFA analogy is spot on.

You can try and add cheerleader breaks every 10 minutes, make the goals bigger and get the teams to play with two balls at the same time, but people just want regular football.

There’s no need to change the standard formula much at all, because doing so will probably just make it worse.

SP could do with a shake-up though.

I still haven’t finished the Black Ops SP, ‘cos it just bored me.

Way too many unskippable cutscenes.

7. Patrick Garratt

Black Ops SP was OK. It’s actually a pretty brave stab at a “proper” thriller narrative. There’s a lot going on in it, and there are tons of twists. The pacing was off, though; you’re right, it did feel boring in places.

8. Freek

I’m not saying it’s wrong. Fifa is verry popular also, and people enjoy it. Wich is fine. But there’s no real reason to get excited about a reveal or anouncement about either game, it’s a known quantity.
    You know what you like, you know what it is, and here’s another one.
    It’s practicly a subscription service that cost you 60 bucks a year for multiplayer and level packs.

9. M. K.

Black Ops offers best CoD campaign and second best MP right after modern warfare. After the mw3 disappointment black ops 2 is the last chance for acti to get another good shooter on the market this generation imo.

10. AHA-Lambda

guys they aint even trying to hide it now

11. G1GAHURTZ

Well, it’s definitely futuristic.

The screen cap for the (currently locked) video shows a giant ‘Bladerunner’ type hologram on the side of a skyscraper.

12. Colin Gallacher

Well looks like this is the trailer – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upCWKsa9Skw – but it’s still private for the moment.

13. Patrick Garratt

Updated. Thanks AHA.

14. AHA-Lambda

^_^

BTW It’s definitely future warfare. This was taken from the description when I pasted the link on facebook.

Quote:
    Experience near-future black operations with the next evolution of the legendary Call of Duty: Black Ops

Quote from website:
    Call of Duty®: Black Ops 2 propels players into a near future, 21st Century Cold War, where technology and weapons have converged to create a new generation of warfare.

Activision has had a BIG leak =/

15. Patrick Garratt

Ha. Whoops. I’ve added your name into the story.

16. djhsecondnature

Re: The FIFA Analogy – The difference is that in the last few years, FIFA has had massive overhauls in gameplay, engine features, design and game modes.

Call of Duty is essentially the same game as when Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare came out…

17. freedoms_stain

What? I had no idea there was a new Call of Duty game coming out this November, colour me shocked!

18. Patrick Garratt

Added the splash image from the blocked trailer. HELICOPTERS CONFIRMED.

19. Patrick Garratt

I bet whoever put that live is having a fucking great day.

20. Colin Gallacher

“this YouTube preview pic shows up if you change to the Australian site.”

21. Patrick Garratt

Cheers. I’ll add it.

22. absolutezero

So much apathy.

Im so proud.

23. Patrick Garratt

Check that box near the bottom. Appears to say clearly this stuff’s from LA.

24. Erthazus

Trailer sure is going to have explosions…

25. silkvg247

oh yay, it looks so different and new.

26. G1GAHURTZ

Grrrr!

27. silkvg247

Leave my kitty out of this! :p

28. Edo

Two new screenshots http://www.abload.de/img/img5051_02cubwk.jpg

29. Johnny Cullen

Thanks, dude. Added those in.

30. Gekidami

So yeah, clearly the future. Looks like that first pic is showing war in the US. I have to say, it’ll be really dumb if the enemies are Russian, we’ll have both CoD universes with Russians invading the US.

31. Edo

@29 No problem @30 Yeah,it reminds me of Ghost Recon:Future Soldier(or at least those drones do).

32. Maximum Payne

@30 hahaha yea I hope that is not true.
    I think its too early for future warfare somehow.
    Maybe there will be only one or two mission in future ?

33. Edo

@32 The description from the official site explains it:
    “Black Ops 2 is set in the near future, during a 21st century Cold War where technology and weapons have converged to create a new generation of warfare”.

34. freedoms_stain

It should have laser guns and aliens.

35. OrbitMonkey

Oh… Well this is disappointing :-(

Enjoyed the retro vibe of Blops tbh, but they’ve ditched that for a Ghost Recon wannabe. Guess they ran out of ideas concerning secret history.

36. G1GAHURTZ

Lasers and aliens are crap.

37. Gekidami

“Cold War” always insinuates Russia… But it really doesnt fit with the future setting, i mean lets face it; Russia arent exactly known for their cutting edge tech. I guess it could be China?

38. G1GAHURTZ

I wonder if it’ll have mech…

39. reask

I want WW2 again. :(

40. Erthazus

@34, all guns in CoD series are basically laser guns. Cause you know? They shoot “straightforward” like in QUAKE 3.

But to be honest, Alien weapons could be done without any issue with that engine.
    Quake 3 proves that. Rail Gun is still the best thing ever.

@37, China is very cutting edge indeed. LOL. If you are interested in the cutting edge military technology check out tanks, helicopters or fighters comparison in Wikipedia… and China is not one of them.

41. freedoms_stain

@40, yes but they look like modern guns and sound like modern toy guns.

42. OrbitMonkey

@40, “all guns in CoD series are basically laser guns. Cause you know? They shoot “straightforward”?

As opposed to the real world guns that shoot backward? :-/

43. Patrick Garratt

@38 – That’d be bonkers.

44. OlderGamer

Instead of 60usd pirced full game releases each year, perhaps a more sensible model could be found? This series(and I would agrue entire genere) is on the brink of over exposure.

I have the same trouble with EAs sport games. So the Fifa analogy really fits well. I think what most fans want for these games are more maps and more modes, both of which could be released as download installments. I really have to wonder if the bulk of the user base care for the SP portions of the game. I know some of you do, but I bet most don’t. But even campaigns could be released digitaly as 20usd episodes.

New generation of hardware will help, but thats still esntaily 2 years out for stuff like this.

I have never been a huge CoD fan, but I have no inclination to play a BF, Halo, or any other omp fps anymore(and I used to, alot). The whole of the genere is very stale for me. I prefer the PVP in a game like WoW, more variety and more dynamic.

45. StolenGlory

I’ll say this though, as desperate and uninspired as this change of setting may seem to some people, if anything was going to get me back on the CoD wagon, it was going to be a change of setting to something a little more futuristic.

Or a new engine.

I’ll happily take 1 out of 2 :)

46. Erthazus

@OB, nah, they just have super precision, that’s why :D

“CoD wagon, it was going to be a change of setting to something a little more futuristic.

Or a new engine.”

47. StolenGlory

“New engine is not always better. Let them change it to CryEngine 3 it may look beautiful but core of the game will be the same.”

True, but if they changed to a new engine I would just be excited because it would be something different to make me pay attention rather than being all cynical about it year after year :)

48. freedoms_stain

@42, in real life you squeeze the trigger and a bullet is explosively pushed out the barrel at lethal velocity, this causes the gun to jerk and move, called recoil. Experienced gunmen can control recoil, minimise it and adjust to it, but it’s never perfect aim.

In CoD bullets actually come out your forehead and the gun bouncing about on screen is just an animation. I’m not kidding either, in most games bullets come out the characters head rather than the gun model.

CoD also uses no ballistics model, so yeah, the bullets act a bit like lasers.

49. Erthazus

By the way there will be MECHS.

New screen http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17laeoem3490vjpg/original.jpg

50. Maximum Payne

@49 oh god why.
    Graphics remind me of bf 2142 :P

51. Len

Not for me. Stopped playing blops at some rocket launch level I think, stopped playing mw3 at the Docklands bit and I just ain’t going back. Not for me anymore…

52. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Halo?

Is it me you’re looking for?

53. ASBI

there are new stuff in here

one of them redirects to FPSrussia :)

54. _S_E_R_G_

your IP is blocked

for me on official site

55. JimFear-666

my ip is blocked, i guess they only accept u.k ip?

56. ASBI

i think they hired him or something

this video has a lot of stuff from the official COD website

check his shirt + the future weapon

57. ASBI

the logo on FPSrussia’s shirt

58. JRNO

Call of Duty set in the future? I’ve been waiting to see this one!
    I’m getting a BF2142 vibe from the screenshots, which isn’t half-bad.

59. mad1723

I’ve just watched the trailer and one thing has really been clear throughout the trailer: The engine is getting more than long in the tooth. Textures are muddy or downright horribles, models are very low res and animations are ok at best. Honestly, the 2 year alternance with the studios is starting to make victims me think.

60. mathare92

Eh, nice modelling on the narrator dude, but visually, there doesn’t seem to be any improvement. They’ll have to buck it up significantly if they want to compete next-gen.

61. Sam Clay

Anyone subscribe for some Horse of Duty?

62. ejams

Looks strange. Still won’t budge me to buy it yet, but we shall see how much has really changed. Graphics in the video were outright horrendous in my opinion.

63. mad1723

Sam: I think they are preparing a spin off! New wager match: Bet on the horse you think will finish the match alive! :D

64. Sam Clay

@63 They’ve spent their entire budget on horses :D

65. xino

OH MY GOD!

F***KING SICK!

HAHAHAHHA…
    i’m gonna enjoy this man!

awwwww, I still need to play MW3!!!:(

66. G1GAHURTZ

Not sure what to say…

I don’t like the look of it one bit.

I personally don’t like playing games that involve fake stuff. Fake cars, fake football teams or fake guns.

Don’t like them.

I’d be disappointed to find out that Treyarch listened to a handful of idiotic fanboy haters and decided to change the game like this for a few less thumbs down ratings on the internet.

Because from that video, this isn’t Call of Duty.

This is some pathetic attempt to change things just for the sake of it. And changing things just for the sake of it is nothing less than stupid.

Right now, I just want to wait and see the multiplayer, because if it looks like they messed that up too, I’m not going to be in a good mood.

67. naveto

Wow, that was a dumb trailer. Whoever is writing the scripts needs a talking-to.

68. Gekidami

Sounds like its going to have a Terminator vibe, only rather then becoming sentient, the machines get hijacked by the enemy. It looks ok i guess, i cant imagine fans of the series being too pleased though, the series has never really been realistic, but at least being loosely based on actual military equipment has been a pull. But Deus Ex ‘rocket’ helicopters and robot armies… They’re taking a risk i guess, and you have to respect that.

69. Patrick Garratt

That was awesome. It’s very different to what’s come before. Looks extremely cool.

70. Erthazus

Genius as always. They copied Battlefield 2142 and Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (and they enjoyed Deus Ex:HR soundtrack with Uncharted 3 horse stuff). But whatever, sheep that recently bought 50 million Angry Birds will want some “Serious Shooter” and here you have it just around the corner and it’s the reason why this industry stagnate. Because you can sell this to newcomers for at least 10 years like it was before when everything restarted with CoD 4 and Halo.

The engine looks so bad that 10 face palms are not enough. Vita can easily have this port with all the belts and whistles in 30 frames per second. But it’s going to have 60 frames per second on console. Achievement.

71. Fin

This look awesome!

Let’s home it’s better than BF2142 and Tiberian Sun, they were both a bit shit!

72. Erthazus

@71, you never played them to begin with. These games are PC classics and one of the greatest games ever made in the history of gaming.

But you can repeat your experience in 2012.

73. Fin

Please don’t lie, I’ve played both of them.

I wasn’t fond of 2142′s weapon set and unlocking structure, and Tiberian Sun’s voxel technology and general storyline put me off.

You mean I can repeat the experience of playing a shit near-future game? Oh, I thought you said 2142 and Tiberian Sun were good!

“one of the greatest games ever made in the history of gaming.”

NOOOOOOOOOOPE

74. StolenGlory

Holy shit.

I must admit, i’m quite taken with this.

This is the first CoD game in a long while, that i’ll actually care about checking the progress on.

Bravo, Treayarch.

75. Erthazus

” Tiberian Sun’s voxel technology”

It’s 1999.

“I wasn’t fond of 2142′s weapon set and unlocking structure”

unlocking structure? Ok. You never even touched the game. Next thing you will say that Call Of duty invented dog tags?

76. Gekidami

But anyway, as an idiot once said:

“But really it does not matter. If game is great, then why not? Why not to sell it?”

77. Fin

Who gives a fuck if it’s 1999. Voxels. Were. Shit.

Yeah bro, unlocking structure. If I recall correctly, you even had to unlock grenades, that always annoyed me.

78. Fin

Hang on, this bullshit is coming from the lad who put 500 hours in Black Ops 1.

79. Patrick Garratt

We’re all going to play it, right? Isn’t it a no-brainer?

80. G1GAHURTZ

In all honesty, I’m not certain right now, Pat.

81. Patrick Garratt

Because it’s sci-fi?

82. Erthazus

@Gekidami, “OMG, did an idiot really just say BF2142 & Tiberian Sun were some of the “greatest games ever made in the history of gaming”? New levels of saying BS for the sake of trying to prove a point have just been reached.”

You never played them. Tiberium sun is an instant classic and a very good game. If you don’t understand that then you never played them. Bro, you never played games in 1999 and you found out about Battlefield only with Bad Company on your PeeS3, so keep talking trash.

Battlefield 2142 is still a classic to this day and people still play it.

@78, “Talk all you want bro, we know you’re going to support Activision day one, and play it for months.”

WRONG! I did not bought MW3 and will not buy this. I’m not sheep like you.

“Who gives a fuck if it’s 1999. Voxels. Were. Shit.”

Well, of course they are shit. Almost all RTS, RPG games had voxels at that time. Cool story brah. That’s just a good level of stupidity to call voxels “shit” for no reason at all.

83. G1GAHURTZ

@Pat:

Not entirely.

I don’t mind sci-fi in general, but it has to be done correctly.

Watching that video, I just feel like I’m not watching a CoD game. It feels like something that somebody made to make other people happy, and tick some boxes.

People can say what they want to about CoD’s realism, but at least it had the look of being based on reality.

You can do sci-fi based on reality, and sci-fi based on fantasy, and I’m really not interested in the latter.

If they’d have gone for a more realistic sci-fi, I think I’d be more interested, but come on… Are there seriously going to be stealth bombers that can hover 5 feet off the ground flying around in 13 years?

I might as well just play Halo.

84. Gekidami

Played them both, still own them in fact. They’re both either average or bad.

85. Erthazus

@84, if you own Battlefield 2142, show me your EA Battlefield account. If you played it then it must be there like (any other Battlefield game in your account). Also, it shows date when you purchased it (and date for every other Battlefield game in the series)

You can just show me EA Battlefield account/Battlelog. No need for Origin and etc. It’s pretty simple.

If you can’t show, then GTFO and lie somewhere else. Saying that Tiberium Sun is average that was in 1999 is indeed a “stupidity”.

86. Patrick Garratt

@83 – Yeah. The big difference I can see is that the lead character looks like something out of Bulletstorm. Changing the setting and timeframe’s one thing, but changing the “being part of the regular army” bit is seriously different.

As I said, though, I do think it looks very cool and I’ll definitely play it. You’re right about it not looking instantly like a CoD game, though. Maybe that’s what they wanted.

87. Edo

Well that was …different(but like stealing from others “different”).

88. Gekidami

I’ve long since lost my old BF account, but here:
    Now fuck you.

89. Maximum Payne

I watched interview they said PC will support DX11 and some kind of new anti cheat method.

90. noherczeg

This trailer was so shitty it almost represents my opinion on the whole series lol.

91. TheBlackHole

That was… underwhelming.

92. Da Man

Can you ban people for stupidity?

93. Takeshi

Well, color me interested. Hopefully, it’ll feel genuine and be interesting and not just a shallow “oh, look, we did something different, please like our game.”

94. freedoms_stain

@92, keep going the way you’re going and you’d be a prime candidate under that stipulation.

Seriously man, give it a rest.

95. Da Man

Perhaps I really should though.

96. mathare92

“Its story will be penned by co-writer of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight David Goyer.”

Well, actually he was only credited for the story not the screenplays. Still, if they’ve got talent like that working on the narrative, colour me interested.

97. AHA-Lambda

this looks fucking awesome :D

98. Dimaco

^ yup, if by “fuckin awesome” you mean a pile of crap…

Com’on, it looks outdated and… robots? For real? Where are we?

99. Overdos3

Same BullCrap again and again… They take us for idiots.
    Plus, when you play in PC and you see such low resolution cinematics, textures, models etc… It is normal that we should hate consoles because they are keeping gaming behind while PC tries to go forward

100. Maximum Payne

@98 and if was in modern day , you would again say same as modern warfail bla bla. Point ?
    Treyarch at least try to do something different like branching story,sandbox level,controlling Ai,piloting aircraft…

101. quadfather

Looks pretty dull tbh

102. Da Man

#98 ‘s style seems suspiciously similar to one of the infamous regulars.

.. erzafriendo?

103. Lewis247

“I thought to myself a near future setting could be brilliant but this whole unmanned drone turned against america bullshit looks terrible. Also that pistol looks horrific. It’s turning into a true cliche semi-futuristic game. I like when FPS games include futuristic looking guns but when they start…..”

At this very point I was about to delete that all but I just couldn’t find the effort to put my dissapointment in words.

104. OrbitMonkey

Wait… Frank Woods is alive?! Didn’t he take a swan-dive out a window with some guy… Who blew up!!

105. TMRNetShark

Regardless of what anyone says, this game will still sell well because it’s Call of Duty and it actually has a new setting. :P

I just want zombies. :)

106. Edo

“PC players will be able to “take advantage” of the game if they have DirectX11-enabled hardware.”Sorry,but I find that very hard to believe after that trailer.

107. M. K.

Well, I’m not hyped at all… But maybe I’ll buy it if it becomes cheaper like I did with MW3

108. Stephany Nunneley

GameStop pre-order incentive “waves” added.

109. Ali Hayas

Hyped. I really love TreyArch’s take on the series. I really care about the characters in TreyArch, they are deeper than you think.

110. TD_Monstrous69

I guess I’m in the minority on this one, but after seeing both videos that’ve been shown for this, as well as reading the article, I’m hyped. This is exactly what COD needs, and I truly can’t wait to see more. For the first time in a while, I can honestly say, I’m excited for a new Call of Duty. November 13th, I look forward to midnight of that day, so that I can pick this up.

111. Psychotext

That trailer has finally convinced me that we really do need a new gen of hardware. Clearly this gen doesn’t have the power for 60fps and eyecandy.