Alan Wake hitting Steam in February, PC specs listed

Saturday, 21st January 2012 14:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Remedy has taken to its official forums to announce a February release window for Alan Wake on Steam, as well as list the preliminary system requirements needed in order to run the game.

The self-published game in partnership with Nitro Games will not support Games for Windows Live or Mac, and there are no plans to release modding tools or a demo for the game. It will, however, support Steam Cloud, will use Steamworks and contain Steam Achievements.

Both The Signal and The Writer DLCs will be available on Steam and are included in all copies of the game.

According to the official post from Remedy, optimization and graphics scalability are still being finalized, so some of the PC requirements listed below “may change.” Still, players will be able to adjust resolution, and change graphics settings, as well as run in full screen or windowed mode. Players will also have the option to turn off the game’s HUD.

It also supports NVISION 3D “very nicely,” according to the post, but as it is “fairly performance heavy,” a high-end GPU such as the GeForce 580GTX and moderate graphics settings are recommended. The AMD HD3D has not been tested as of yet, but the team plans to either look into it themselves, or get confirmation from a third-party as to whether it works or not.

Here’s the list of requirements at present:

• OS: Windows Vista or Windows 7
  • PROCESSOR: Dual core required: AMD: Athlon X2 2.8GHz; Intel: Core 2 Duo 2GHz
  • MEMORY: 2 GB
  • HARD DRIVE: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: DirectX 10 compatible or later with 512MB RAM - AMD: ATI Radeon 3650, 4450, 5550, 6450 or higher (per series); NVIDIA: GeForce 8600GT, 9500GT, GT120, GT430, GT520 (per series)
  • SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compatible
  • INPUT: Mouse and keyboard, Xbox360 controller also supported

Remedy said its goal is for the game to be able to run on Windows XP SP2, but at present, there are still “a few minor but technically challenging” issues its need to solve in order for it to work properly. Official support will be announced after testing has finished, but for now, it was at least run on Vista and Window 7.

Thanks, Edo.

1. LOLshock94

whats funny is that pc fanboys demanded this but i bet they wont buy it…thats the reason why yous get shit ports

2. Hunam

“The AMD HD3D has not been testes as of yet”

Something on your mind Steph?

3. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Maybe. HAHAHA. Thanks, I’ll fix it. :D

4. bpcgos

DX 10 minimum. nice! Sadly, no mod support! I hope its still based on Max Payne engine structure so that unofficial mod still can be done.
    Price please!!

5. Maximum Payne

I think people who actually buy PC games and use XP are in minority anyway.

6. triggerhappy

Awaiting a PC trolling comment from loki….

7. freedoms_stain

@1, although the transformation of a once sandbox PC exclusive into a linear console exclusive was regarded by many as a cock-slap in the face, not many people were bothered about whether the final version of Alan Wake came to PC or not, because it’s not the same game the previews and concept work of which got so many excited about.

If you check out the Steam forums the average response is “I’ll probably get it, but wait until it’s on sale”. And tbh that is the fate of many console ports, particularly lazy ones and particularly ones as late as this.

8. Edo

As always you’re welcome :) .

9. Unlimax

@5 So sad … i’m using XP :[
    let’s see if we can run this game later ..

10. osric90

I didn’t like the game but I need it on my PC to play it naked with a woman besides me, remember?

11. Da Man

#10 Now all you have to do is get the latter ;)

12. Edo

#10 Ne seri!

13. TheWulf

I’ve been looking forward to this one for ages. I had my doubts originally but having seen it for myself it’s a pretty compelling game. I’m glad that the developer/publisher got over their inverse-consolitis too. (PCs are a poor platform for this kind of game, too formal!)

I won’t hold it against them, though, because they seem to have realised the error of their ways, and this is an apology. Apology accepted, I’m definitely going to give this one a go when it comes out.

Sadly, a lot of PC gamers may feel that way and it would be a crying shame if that’s the case. What PC gamers originally objected to was the way the developer treated the PC as a substandard platform.

This sort of naysaying reminded me of elitist PC gamers when they go on about “consolitis,” and that really bugs me. You have no idea how much it bugs me. The suggestion that any platform is inherently ‘bad’ is a ridiculous one. Whether it’s PC gamers going on about “consolitis” or a developer telling us that the PC isn’t “informal” enough.

So I understand their ire, but this strikes me as an apology. And like I said – apology accepted. I’m hoping that the majority of PC gamers will think the same way.

14. HauntaVirus

I’m looking forward to this, and hopefully Dark Souls PC.

15. TheWulf

I would so, so love to see Dark Souls on the PC.

What a game that is.

/sigh
    /envy
    /such_envy

Not to mention Ratchet & Clank, flOwer, Journey, and the Last Guardian (I think it’s called – the game with the boy and the griffin anyway).

Consoles get some real gems.

16. Maximum Payne

@13 I hoping that too.After all is good game.

17. loki

Remedy greed idiots, PC port fail anyway

Who buy it on pc idiot too.

In general, torrent users are happy, Remedy will go bankrupt soon

18. Talkar

^There it is xD

19. Maximum Payne

@18 He was taking to long to show up :)

20. Takeshi

Let’s see.

1. Wait till it releases.
    2. Keep an eye out for any major bugs or issues that would make me unable to play this.
    3. Wait till it goes 75% off just like L.A. Noire.

I can play games released in 2010 like Black Ops, Medal of Honor, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Darksiders, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Mafia II, Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days, Transformers: War for Cybertron, Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 pretty well. So I assume I got a chance with Alan Wake, it seems like an interesting game.

For some reason I keep affiliating it with: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosthunter

Well, I guess it depends what kind of starting price it’s going to have. But I am generally not very wealthy these days, certainly not enough to pour out €40 to €50.

21. DSB

I think there are a lot of elements to it.

Obviously Remedy are doing it exactly right by foregoing useless DRM in favor of Steamworks. I’m pretty sure that’s something all PC gamers can get behind.

Secondly the profitability of a port doesn’t just rely on getting it to PC eventually – It relies on getting it to the PC fast. Generally PC ports are able to bring in as much or more than the console originals, but Remedy made a decision by going with Microsoft, and there’s a price to be paid.

Firstly some gamers might feel snubbed, although I think that’s mostly a case of grabbing a cookie, but more importantly the game is out, it’s been played and judged – And I’d say it’s about 50/50 in terms of the people who love the heck out of it, and people who thought it was lacking.

That’s a lot more damaging than anything else really.