Alan Wake pops up on Steam, Remedy seemingly teases PC release

Tuesday, 13th December 2011 14:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The first Alan Wake is about to finally get its PC release, according to listings on the Steam registry and further teasing from Remedy.

Files for specific language versions of the game – including English, German, French, Japanese, Chinese and Spanish – plus other files all appeared on the registry (via GAF).

Remedy’s Aki Järvilehto recently teased a PC release in a interview with Finnish-based YLEX (via JPS).

“We have received feedback from a lot of PC gamers, and I have to admit that yes, we somehow ignored that. Let’s see if in the near future we could have some positive news to tell you about dating.”

Remedy was originally developing Alan Wake for PC and Xbox 360 together, but the PC version was canned at X10 last February.

“Hypothetically, what we care about is the Remedy brand on any game needs to stand for something… polished quality, cinematic action and great storytelling,” Remedy boss Matias Myllyrinne told VG247 in a post-launch interview on Wake 1 last year.

“If it is created by us or a port it still needs to live up to the same standard. People need to be able to rely on it when they put down their hard earned money.”

The news follows the unveil of the next title in the Wake universe, American Nightmare for XBLA, at the VGAs over the weekend. That’ll launch in Q1 next year, meaning sometime before March 31.

We’ll email Remedy.

1. deadstoned

Steamworks? If its been this long maybe Microsoft arent publishing any more then they can use Steamworks and not shitty GFWL :)

2. DSB

I don’t think Microsoft are prohibitive towards the PC in principle, that’s also a platform they have a stake in. I don’t know what kind of deal Alan Wake is bound by, but stuff like Limbo made it onto Steam just fine, and Toy Soldiers was supposed to pop up as well.

I think it’s the only way for Remedy to gain some extra sales. I doubt Alan Wake is going to be on the PS3 any time soon.

3. Quasar

so they expect us to buy it after been treated like shit? hahahah
    ill gladly pirate it

4. Maximum Payne

Oh god pleaseeee Original Alan Wake + all DLC including american nightmare make it happen !!!

5. OwnedWhenStoned

Wasn’t it shit anyway?

6. Erthazus

No one cares. Good luck guys with “Great” sales.

7. IL DUCE

It was a pretty good game…premise was pretty original…

I love how PC gamers cry foul when the PC version is not released immediately or canned but then don’t give a shit or act like they don’t care or find something else to complain about when a company releases the game on PC…make up your mind already

@3 you’re exactly why PC gamers get a bad rep…support the people that make the games you loser…I know you’re probably too busy jerking off to get a job, but it might be a good idea you bum

8. loki

Just another naive PC gamers dream.
    MS and Remedy just idiots if they doing this

9. freedoms_stain

Personally I put the game firmly I’m the rent don’t buy unless it’s under a fiver territory.

10. DSB

@7 Generalize much? The fact that you find a self-destructive idiot gamer on the internet shouldn’t surprise you, much less give you reason to project that onto everyone else.

I’m pretty sure most of us appreciate Remedy putting it out, if nothing else.

11. The Evil Pope

Alan Wake was the second most pirated Xbox 360 game of 2010, with more than 1.1 million downloads.

Yeah, piracy only applies to the PC. Ho-Hum…

12. YoungZer0

Why? People already know how mediocre the game, the story, the characters, the dialogs, the motion capture and pretty much every thing else about this game is.

Why bother?

Do something new instead of wasting your time with that.

13. Badger

Finally!

I’ll buy it. Don’t care about the ‘politics’, I’ll buy it because I want to play it.

14. Gekidami

lol The fact that your link shows the massive PC piracy numbers, so massive they eclipse the 360 figures (the first most pirated games on Wii & 360 wouldnt even be in the top 10 on the PC list) is just hilarious and shows how much your point fails.

15. The Evil Pope

You’re missing the point, dumb-dumb! That link denotes there is huge amounts of piracy on the 360 as well as the PC. To say it’s only a PC problem is just idiotic, a bit like your post!

16. endgame

f**k yeah! buying it! :D

17. osric90

Steam is saving PC gaming. Hopefully I’ll give a second chance to this when released on Steam… and hopefully Diablo II, Diablo III, StarCraft, Brood War, StarCraft 2, MOHAA and others are released too. I would say Gears of War but that’s so Microsoft that I lost hope since day one.

18. absolutezero

I own the L.E. Collectors thingy with the book and both add ons.

I will buy this if they release it on the PC. Alan Wake was personally one of my favourite games released last year and I think it would look and run amazingly on my PC, beyond 1080p and at 60 FPS. Gorgeous.

Might actually find all the coffee things this time aswell. Stupid things.

19. OwningXylophone

Look at the list of GFWL games on Steam, like Fable 3, Dirt 2, Dirt 3, Dawn of War 2 & Chaos Rising, Bioshock 1 & 2 and more game I cannot be bothered to list. MS just accept that Steam is the best way to get your game out there to PC gamers, they’ll still be publishing AW PC and it’ll no doubt still use “shitty” GFWL… That I have never had a single issue with despite owning at least 15 games that use it.

20. absolutezero

Incoming anecdotal evidence!

I had to use a cracked .exe to run Batman Arkham City because I was being blocked from saving my game or even running it sometimes by GfWL!

Want to buy the DLC for Batman! Sure just head to Xbox.com. Xbox.fucking.com to buy PC content. Buy it there easy peasy! What you want a d-load link from the site? lol no you have to start up the defunct GfWL application and get it through there. Thats if it picks up that you’ve bought anything from xbox.com in the first place.

You’ve had no problems though so thats alright.

21. DSB

@19 I’ve never bought a game with GFWL without having to restart it AFTER I’ve already downloaded and installed it. I had to restart Dead Rising 2 three times in order to be able to play it.

I bought it on sale (like I do every GFWL game) so by the time I had started and stopped the game seven times, only to download yet another update and do it over again before each one, I actually lost interest in playing it. They can’t even be bothered to bundle their never ending stream of updates, let alone streamline the install.

It also never bothers to store my sign-in credentials across games, so I have to type them in again every single goddamn time. And once again after every update.

It’s a terrible system even when it works properly.

22. N2O1990

nah MS still publish it

23. OwningXylophone

Fair point on the updating issue, that is pretty irritating. I guess the console gamer in me has learned to just accept that.

To download DLC in AA you simply click on the big words “Downloadable Content” from the menu and then press tab to open the in game marketplace, you didn’t HAVE to do it via the website.

But as my actual point got missed over a flippant comment, just because Alan Wake PC will use Steamworks doesn’t mean MS won’t be publishing it and that it won’t use GFWL, in fact I think both are a given.

24. albo88

if its DX 11 THEN IM IN

25. bpcgos

@albo88

Agree, and no shitty textures (just use the old resources for their canned PC version!) I hope they trully realise their first Alan Wake vision with this PC release which is non- linear level structure with a bit of open world inside (man,someone can always hope right?)! And no collectible thermoflask , please! Its silly!

26. Phoenixblight

You are getting the same version as the Xbox 360 there is no way around that. Did Fable 3 look any better than the COnsole version? Nope. SO expect the same treatment.