Boom: Uncharted 3 sells 3.8 million units on day one

Thursday, 10th November 2011 12:25 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Shazam.

Sony’s confirmed this afternoon that Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception sold 3.8 million units in its first day alone.

The numbers were dropped in a very short press release sent out by SCEE. The figure is as recent as early as midnight today (November 10), and is currently “on a clear course to be the biggest selling game in the trilogy.”

The game, which launched last week in the US and Europe, sits at 92 on MetaCritic following rave reviews.

1. Johnny Cullen

Big, big numbers. But well deserved. Props, Naughty Dog.

2. The_Red

WOW. I’m speechless. Never really loved the series but it’s always good to see something that’s not a generic military shooter move these kinds of numbers. Plus, ND rules.

3. daytripper

congrats nd :D

4. MikeWorks

Sold to retail, in other words shipped…

5. Khakimzhan

It is ALWAYS shipped – NOone gives exact numbers of how many have been actually sold to individual buyers.

6. Patrick Garratt

The direct quote from the PR: “Sony Computer Entertainment Europe today announced Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception™ day one global sales of 3.8 million units.”

7. NiceFellow

@5 mostly it’s shipped but its unusual to combine shipped with day one sales statements. Shipped is the amount sent to retail of course and the shipments would be before day 1.

If it’s not shipped then wow, colour me very surprised.

EDIT: thinking about it it’s probably shipped though. Can’t believe that’s sold to customers.

It’s a great game though. Although I’m swamped right now with U3, trying to wrap up riddler in Batman and playing around with different augs in Deus Ex. Not to mention MW3 just arrived and Skyrim should arrive tomorrow.

I need more time.

8. xino

its cool…but from my eyes isn’t good enough.
    Sony already spent too much over the advert.

we’ll just wait and see by the end of this month if it’ll even surpass 5mill:/

9. DaMan

#7: They ‘ve said the same with GoW3 ‘doing 3 million in 3 days’. It ‘s the amount of copies shipped to retailers, which means nothing in regards to how many ‘re bought by customers.

10. NiceFellow

@9 it’s got to be shipped, yeah. I still think the wording is a bit off but clearly they mean sold from their perspective. There’s no way it can have jumped that much at retail vs U2.

Still, it’s up on U2 judging by their other comments so going by previous press releases I’d guess around 1 million WW opening, which is not bad. With the likelihood of sustained sales through holidays I’d guess U3 will be on course to outpace U2.

Last official numbers I saw for U2 put it as closing in on 5 million so I guess allowing for a bump in demand 3.8 shipped to cover the first chunk of front loaded sales isn’t too crazy.

11. Hakkiz

Not saying VGCharts is more reliable than Sony itself, but something just doesn’t add up here. VGC reports a little over 1 million copies sold (to consumers) in the first week – I doubt their figures are so much off that the difference could be millions of units.

For e.g. Gears 3 figures are much more in line with Microsoft’s own statements (three million sold in one week).

Anyway, Uncharted 3 deserves great sales, no doubt about it.

12. NinjaMidget

I don’t want to listen to my sceptical side, but the previous comments on here do make sense unfortunately.

But, even so, 3.8 mil shipped is pretty good. And if it’s sold over a mil already, then that should mean good sales figures for the future, for a great game!

13. Anders

Higher than I’d expected. Well deserved though.

14. pianomanjack

definitely shipped!!!

change the title of the article :P

15. Stardog

Mine came free with a 320GB PS3. Good game so far.

If anyone else wants one, Game are doing in-store 320GB Slim + Uncharted 3 + Battlefield 3 for £249.

16. DarkElfa

@15, have you ran into any of those pesky framerate issues we’ve hear about?

17. Unknown126

You guys are stupid enough to trust VGChartz? They are always off and once official numbers come out they adjust them. Why? Because they have ABSOLUTELY NO WAY of tracking sells in all of Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, etc. It’s a bogus site and you have to be pretty dull to think only 1 million were actually shipped to customers. Do you think retailers would actually order nearly 3 million more copies than they think they would need? Really? Retailers don’t just don’t do that. Btw, this is also counting copies that came for free in PS3 bundles.

18. DarkElfa

@17, youmadbro?

19. Unknown126

@18 – Nah I’m not mad. Just annoyed by the ignorance and clearing the confusion.

20. lexph3re

@19 it’s called denial my friend. The internet is filled with people drowning in it

21. DarkElfa

@20, glub, glub, glub…

22. lexph3re

^like

23. Unknown126

@20 – Well no crap it’s denial. A bunch of people too scared to admit when a game did well to the point of making up things like, “I’d guess around 1 million WW opening”. LOL and some people talking about Microsoft’s Gears numbers… The numbers Microsoft released for Gears were shipped as well. Funny how this gets singled out for being shipped but not Gears. If it’s from a publisher, the numbers are shipped but I guarantee you that retailers aren’t going to purchase nearly 3 million more than what they need. Retailers have a ballpark for what the demand will be for a game.

This reminds me of Gran Turismo 5. Everyone said it was a flop until official numbers came out claiming 5.5 in two days. People never learn that there are places that can’t be tracked.

24. PEYJ

Vgchartz are the only ones using the word shipped in the text. Sony’s own words doesn’t contain that particular word. That article is in other words not a proof of whether we are talking about shipped or sold.

It is certainly possible that it only goes for shipped figures, however Vgchartz are not capable of getting the figures from Pal-territories exept perhaps the UK.

Sony on the other hand has a better chance of obtaining those figures as the work together with these retailers.

25. bryani

well as an Arabic person from the heart of the desert (Dubai) i can say that naughty dog made my wildest dreams come true by this game, not only me but all the gulf area gamers too.. from story, acting, action, cinematography, score & everything just felt pure epicness…

my 2nd best game i’ve ever played in my life after Half-Life 2

26. Erthazus

Who believes Vgchartz is a massive retard. Period.

Vgchartz numbers are from nothing or FAKE and GAY. It’s a site for fanboys that jizz all over the place when they see numbers for a certain games system.

27. Stardog

@16 I haven’t played online, but I’ve had no issues offline.

28. daytripper

agree with erth, site is filled with absolute morons

29. TD_Monstrous69

I knew this would sell well, but not this well because of the season it’s coming out in (week after Battlefield, week before Call of Duty). Kudos Sony, and kudos Naughty Dog on making a great game (speaking as someone who’s played it).

30. jdfoster00

@everyone It’s not shipped it’s sold. Source:- http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212156p1.html …. Sony have confirmed it’s sold not shipped.

31. sg1974

@30 Disproves the meme that all of Sony’s figures are only ever sold to retail. When they said sold, they meant sold. Of course, Sony could turn round and say that the IGN quote is wrong….LOL.

32. DaMan

Sony confirmed to Gamasutra that the figure given is shipped, rather than sold.

Gamasutra or Ign, hmm.

33. Johnny Cullen

I emailed Sony today if it’s shipped or sold. Still waiting to hear back.

34. Psychotext

It’s always shipped (or sold-in if you prefer) unless stated otherwise… always. :)

That aside, should be interesting to see how it does in the NPD figured next month. I reckon around a million for its first 28 or so days.

35. speedxl01

Great game, it deserves this, and a lot more sales, it’s a gem.