Remedy: Alan Wake XBLA “structured like a full release”

Friday, 4th November 2011 11:24 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Remedy has defended releasing the next Alan Wake game as an XBLA title than at retail, saying it’ll be “structured” as if it was released on disc.

The developer lept to the game’s defence as a digital download following confirmation last night it would be unveiled at the Spike VGAs on December 10.

But despite the XBLA release, fans”shouldn’t feel disheartened that it’s coming” to the service, according to ADM, aka Remedy community boss Peter Papadopoulos, on the dev’s forums (via Eurogamer).

“It’s structured like a full release complete with a pretty damn impressive storyline that expands the originals in some interesting ways,” he said.

“I really enjoyed it so I’m sure you all will too!”

Studio CEO Markus Maki chimed in by adding: “‘Don’t you give you value for money…’ Heh. Oh, ye of little faith.”

This morning, it was rumoured that the new game’s subtitle would be Night Springs. We’re still to hear back from Remedy about that, but we’ll let you know what the sitch’ is if we do.

1. The_Red

Fail in my mind. They can defend the XBLA decision as much as they want, I’m not getting anything until I hear about a AW2 for retail.

2. daytripper

@1 if the game is good then still no buy?

3. Charlie Sheen

@1 see the game first you fucking saddo

4. Ireland Michael

@1 So you’d ignore it as a download title even if it had a substantial amount of content for the price and was just as high quality as the original?

Okay then.

5. Quiiick

I agree with #1.
    If “Alan Wake 2″ is not going to be available on disc = no purchase for me.

Even though I really enjoyed the first game and consider it GOTY 2010.

6. Ireland Michael

@5 Again, I ask, not even if the quality and value for money is there?

7. tezzer1985

I don’t know why people are bitching, when they released Alan Wake on disc no one bought it, instead I bet a lot of people got the 1st game second hand, which doesn’t help Remedy.

Remedy is a very small studio they can’t afford to release another disc based game for it not to sale, so if going XBLA means these guys keep JOBS and continue making good games so be it…I will be downloading day 1

8. Quiiick

@#6 YES!

Same goes for any kind game DLC (not just AW).
    Never bought a single piece of DLC and never will.

This also applies for music purchases. No iTunes, only discs.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 Well… hope you have fun living in 1995, I guess.

10. Quiiick

#9 No problem with that.
    I have lived 36 years full of fun before 1995 even arrived. ;-)
    If you, on the other hand, still play console games when you are in your mid 50-ies like me now: congrats!

11. Ireland Michael

@10 I plan to. It’s my favourite hobby, and I also make money writing about it.

But I don’t plan to stay stuck in the past. I’d rather move with the technology and the advances as they change and grow.

I’m immune to nostalgia I guess.

12. Prof.Dr.Moertel

Ok. What’s the reason to release it on XBLA and not on Games on Demand? (should be possible, right?)

13. daytripper

don’t understand the negative vibes at downloadable games, over priced skins like gears or uncharted i understand but games like Bastion for example are great showcases for the platform

14. Quiiick

@#11 It’s not nostalgia.
    Prices for game-DLC are too high and most of all not flexible enough.
    As soon as I see the prices of DLC degrade over time to at least half of its original value I might consider buying DLC.
    Mind you, I also don’t buy games on disc for full price and wail until they drop to about £20 (new, not second hand). Fortunately this usually happens with discs within 2-3 months after release. Not so with DLC.

15. absolutezero

I would never really call a full game DLC. Its a game that happens to be delivered digitally.

16. Ireland Michael

But what if the game *does* offer a good amount of play time for its price? If it’s not nostalgia, you can’t really argue against that.

17. Quiiick

Yes, you are right. But I have not seen this being the case so far. At least not for any of the DLC I was interested in.

Not even the DLC for GTA4, which I almost purchased.
    But even here the price never dropped over time, IIRC.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 Then you’re playing the wrong downloadable titles, because there are plenty.

19. Quiiick

Please don’t tell me what games I should play. That’s so childish.

20. daytripper

@19 you clearly stated previously you have not bought any download stuff at all and never will so now judging stuff like GTA IV DLC which is available on disc by the way seems bizarre to me considering you haven’t invested time in any content

21. Ireland Michael

@19 I’m not telling you what games you should play. I’m telling you that you obviously haven’t played many good downloadable ones if you can’t find *any* that are good value for money.

22. Quiiick

#20

I “NEVER WILL” buy DLC for console games until prices drop significantly. I that better?

FYI, I have bought more than 20 iOS games so far. Most of them are priced around $1.99. That’s a price I consider adequate for the content you get. At least in most cases.

Now don’t tell me these developers can’t make a living with these prices. If there was not enough profit, they would not do it. It’s that simple.

Again, prices for console games are much to high. This goes for discs as well as DLC. The only difference here is, as I stated, disc prices go down very shorty after release, DLC prices do not.

23. daytripper

“YES!Same goes for any kind game DLC (not just AW).Never bought a single piece of DLC and never will.”

How am i supposed to know you just meant console games? as for the rest, lol i’m done as this is ridiculous

24. The_Red

The reason I oppose the XBLA idea is because it’s more thank a little likely that this game is going to be the end of AW. If they reveal something about the next proper AW game and that this is the bridge, I’ll gladly accept but right now, I get a “Hey let’s release a downloadable game before we’re done with this name” kinda vibe.

From the previous rumors to the way everything is being revealed about this game is worrying and if that indeed is the case, then to hell with this.

25. Blerk

I’m just glad there’s going to be more Alan Wake. After the original pretty much flopped I figured that was probably it for the series.

Hopefully it’s not a Kinect game, as previously rumoured. Or not Kinect-only, at least.

26. sybs

Side scrolling platformer?

27. absolutezero

Top down twin stick torch shooter.

Its Live arcade right? Right guys? Right?

So let me get this straight in my head, Angry Birds is worth $1.99 for about 5 minutes worth of content but Shadow Complex is not worth $11.99 for a good 6 hours of content.

Thats more than most boxed titles and its cheaper. So what the fuck is going on here.

28. Blerk

Some XBLA titles are more than worth the money, others aren’t. It’s exactly the same as it is with boxed releases, the fact that it’s on a disc isn’t some guarantee of quality.

I’m absolutely fine with the series continuing in digital form providing it’s still actually a good game.

29. Quiiick

@#27

“So let me get this straight in my head, Angry Birds is worth $1.99 for about 5 minutes worth of content but Shadow Complex is not worth $11.99 for a good 6 hours of content (…) So what the fuck is going on here.”

That may be your very personal perspective of quality. Not TEH truth.
    It all comes down to personal tastes regarding the judgment of games.
    So don’t try to build an argument on preferences.

In my opinion both (Angry Birds & Shadow Complex) are terrible games. I wouldn’t even buy Shadow Complex if it was $1.99.

And besides, I know a few people who played Angry Birds a lot more than 6 hours … :-P

30. fearmonkey

As an Older gamer myself I salute you Quiiick

Though I prefer buying games on disk, I believe you are kind of missing out regarding downloadable content and games.
    If price is an issue, I understand that, I usually wait for it to go onsale myself.
    I understand it’s your preference, and that is cool, but I don’t understand your strong aversion to downloadable games.

31. Quiiick

@#30
    My strong aversion is directed towards the business practises that came along the introduction of DLC.

Publishers & developers started to remove content from the discs to cash in later via DLC. And prices for DLC content is absurdly high in comparison to what you get on disc.
    In addition they started to charge you for in-game items (horse-armor, anyone?) and in-game unlocks.

Now they try to further cash-in with these online-passes.
    And to make things even worse, the online pass that comes with a disc just works in the country it was bought from, to prevent you from buying cheaper offers from abroad.

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. But they remain exceptions.

32. Phoenixblight

“Now they try to further cash-in with these online-passes.
    And the online passes that come with discs just work in the countries the were bought from, to prevent you from buying cheaper offers from abroad.”

second hand market is worth 2 billion dollars that of which the publisher and developers do not see a penny off of. Why wouldn’t they try to fight that?

“I just loved the days when you purchased a disk and you would get the whole story, the whole experience with it and not just a fragment like nowadays.”

Yeah something happened from 10 years ago to now the game industry has grown exponentially and as did the cost of the game what once cost 50k to develop is now 20-50 million and thats assuming they aren’t making an engine with the game.

Movies used to be 3-6hours long with intermission costing a few pennies and now they are a hour and half long and cost 15-20$ a pop. You will never get that back so it becomes a conflict of adapting to the changes or staying in your 20 year old tech mentality.