Quick quotes: DICE “always” looking to grow Battlefield franchise “in different ways”

Tuesday, 11th October 2011 10:44 GMT By Johnny Cullen

“We are trying to grow the franchise in different ways, always, and to do something new for us, whether it’s a feature like the destruction that was added in Bad Company or the single player that was also added in Bad Company. Since then, it’s grown and grown as a franchise. Single player has become a core pillar now, and we’re adding coop for the first time. We’ll see what happens with that; if people like it, if it’s fun, it will probably grow into a core pillar, as well,” producer Patrick Liu, speaking to Gamasutra on advancing the series’ core pillars.

Battlefield 3 releases at the end of the month for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. GrimRita

I’ve not even going to comment on this!

2. Maximum Payne

Do you really need to troll every BF3 news ?

3. Moxifool

“I’ve not even going to comment on this!”

Yet here you are.

Idiot.

4. Hunam

Anyone who buys Battlefield for the single player is doing it wrong.

5. noherczeg

#4

And after he/she finishes it goes back to the retailer and sells it back / changes it in for something else :)

6. LOLshock94

DICE do something else

7. Fin

Maybe DICE should stop talking about BF and fix the bugs in the beta!

Har har har.

8. freedoms_stain

Fin, you’re fast becoming my new least favourite poster. Congratulations.

9. Fin

Hmm, why would you say congratulations after something like that? Doesn’t sound like something that’s good.

I was joking anyway (hence the “har har har”). I don’t actually believe that the bugs in the beta will carry over, or that PR takes time away from developers.
    Y’ve to see the nuances.

10. freedoms_stain

@9, it’s not an isolated incident.

You’re a hostile little shit and 9 times out of 10 I feel poorer for having read your “thoughts”.

11. Fin

Hostile, sometimes. Cynical, yes.

Not my problem if you can’t take a joke bro!

12. Moxifool

“Hostile, sometimes. Cynical, yes.

Not my problem if you can’t take a joke bro!”

Seems to me that you’re pissing on the wrong tree there, ‘bro’.

13. Talkar

I think he hates every game. He flames games he doesn’t know anything about all the time, just look at any SWToR news on this site. I wish there was an ignore feature on this site x)

14. OlderGamer

“We are trying to grow the franchise in different ways” = make more money more money and even more money. Even if that means putting out a bug filled “beta”/demo with gameplay that more closly mimics our rival CoD, then what our fans have come to expect from a Battlefield game.

15. GrimRita

@13 which kind of proves you dont know anything. I HAVE played SWTWoW at various hands on events and I dont mean Eurogamer/public events but at press events.

But its amazing that how not being a total ‘fanboy’ classes you as a troll. The bottom line is, that the truth hurts. Or perhaps I just higher standards and dont fall for the PR crap that springs from these triple A titles.

And yes and ignore button would be great, this way I wouldnt have to put up with people like you butt kissing EA.

@14 I dont know if it was the bugs so much(for some) but it was the choice of map that imo did a lot of damage. It simply WASNT Battlefield and more like BC3.

16. Phoenixblight

“And the PR offensive at kind of proven that they are(and should be) worried because the Battlefield brand simply wont shift CoD from its number spot – unfortunately”

EA never said they wanted to take away COD’s spot however they did want to take away their marketshare. Obviously you don’t know what that means. Instead of 30 million of COD sold, EA wants COD to get 24 million sold, that is their goal.

“The bottom line is, that the truth hurts. Or perhaps I just higher standards and dont fall for the PR crap that springs from these triple A titles.”

Yes because every person that like Battlefield or TOR is just falling for the “PR crap”, nice logic there. I have played the beta and watched videos of beta players playing not touched by Bioware and I know what SWTOR is about and I can’t wait for it. You are a troll, you go to every EA related topic and trash talk. Its to the level Erth or Loki.

17. GrimRita

back to my point about the truth hurting….Yes, having an opinion that doesnt fit with the ‘norm’ might offend but life is tough. When I comment, its constructive and not simple comments like ‘this game is crap’ – because that IS trolling.

Taking away marketshare is the same thing. If marketshare falls to its rival, and its rival marketshare picks up, it means that it will take the top spot. Maybe not today but longer term.

EA are investing too much into this title to come second. Its not in their nature. They want to be #1 in every genre and are not because they had their eye off the ball when Activision and Blizzard merged.

18. OrbitMonkey

The truth is if EA thought they could knock CoD off the top spot, by changing BF into a carbon copy, they would… Hell I imagine the next MoH will better looking twin of MW3…

Which would be gr8 :)

19. DSB

It hasn’t just grown though, it’s certainly also shrunk, in some pretty disappointing ways.

I’d trade all the gimmicks of destruction and beautiful graphics for a more advanced coop system.

I mean, fair enough if people actually believe that BC2 and BF3 are like “THE ULTIMATE COOP EXPERIENCE”, but to me it’s nothing of the sort. They should’ve expanded on the scenario structure of the old games, and tried to force people even further into cooperation, expanding on the brilliant ideas they had for squad and platoon based communications in the old one.

Imagine feeling like an actual fireteam in an online shooter, four guys operating within their own little Left 4 Dead group, with the leader being the only one able to contact the guy above him, trying to order airstrikes and support. Maybe it is too complex to do in an online shooter, but I wouldn’t know, since DICE chose to throw it away.

For me personally it’s just as much of a clusterfuck today as anything else, just on a larger scale. You have a choice to follow the green guys around you, but there’s really no difference between following the green guys, to following the blue guys, with the only exception being that you’re able to spawn on the green ones. And you’re still just watching everybody split up, jump into a vehicle and race off, without any consideration for what they’re doing. Half the time, you can’t even get a lift with the guy who picks up the last jeep. Nobody’s even trying to coordinate.

Somehow pronouncing that the ultimate coop experience is more than a stretch to me.

@18 I think they’ve gone out of their way to add CoD to the BF formula this time around. It’s fast, you die a lot quicker, and the weapons are a lot more reasonable, if still a little dodgy in places.

I also think they took some of the parts of the MoH multiplayer and added it for BF3. It had fewer and more restricted maps than BC2, but the gameplay feels far sharper to me. Less is more.

20. OrbitMonkey

@DSB, less is more… I’d agree. I want smaller more infantry focused maps, no vehicles except for automated killstreaks & 60fps… ;)

Joking aside, maybe Dice/Ea have over simplified the team strategy side, purely to attract the more lone gunman, casual player… But I don’t think they’ll strip It out completly, they’ll probably keep experimenting till they find the magic mix that appeals to the majority.

21. DSB

@20 I see what you did there!

It’s not that I can’t appreciate the big and beautiful maps that DICE make, but they ultimately don’t have a lot of purpose built into them.

Looking at Caspian Border, I can get sniped from 500 yards away by some guy with a machinegun hiding behind a rock that I have no chance of spotting. If camping in corners is a bad thing, then how bad is being able to camp from across the map? Ditto, the last chokepoints in Metro give a lot of slanted advantage to people on the lesser team when defending. I don’t mind a challenge, but I do mind losing to people who ultimately have to do far less to win.

Of course the size of the maps in MoH didn’t allow for massive vehicular combat, but why not cut 30%, and use the time you save to actually improving the quality of the maps themselves, rather than just piling on for scale?

22. OrbitMonkey

Tbh I can’t stand those big open maps -_- I much prefer a smaller, dense map… but if you want vehicles, well people want space to run free & stuff…

Sometimes it feels like they just ain’t enough tanks/jeeps & I end up running across wide open spaces, looking for a bush or something to hide in :(

23. GrimRita

Oasis in BC2 kind of reminded me of a map in Counter Strike. But with destruction!

24. Erthazus

“nd you’re still just watching everybody split up, jump into a vehicle and race off, without any consideration for what they’re doing. Half the time, you can’t even get a lift with the guy who picks up the last jeep. Nobody’s even trying to coordinate.”

Because you need to play with clans. Just because it’s a clusterfuck situation it’s not a bad design. Because it is how the game works. It’s freedom and you still have your objective to complete and while every team is different you still complete it and it’s cool.

Just because you like more personal stuff, does not mean that DICE don’t know how to do it. It’s exactly where they do it right with Bad Company series where it feels more personal and team like.

In Call Of duty or any other multiplayer FPS|TPS is the same clusterfuck. Everyone is doing hat they want and play how they want.
    but in games like Call Of duty kills are important and no matter how you play with team it’s going to be the same experience “kill for killstreaks” and you win.

“I can get sniped from 500 yards away by some guy with a machinegun hiding behind a rock that I have no chance of spotting.”

learn to play damn it. Seriously. This stuff is old. Since first Battlefield or any other FPS with giant maps and vehicles.

If you don’t like that scale it’s your only problem that you don’t like that type of FPS games. Thats how it goes. It’s a war… not an arcade thing with magical powers to summon helicopter or giant plane in the center of small map.

Seriously, this discussion is old. It’s the same thing if someone starts to say that ELDER Scrolls is a REAL RPG, while Witcher 2, DAO, Deus Ex:HR are not because there are more story and there is not much freedom compared to Elder Scrolls game.

It’s a different design and it works in Battlefield. Worked and works today.

25. DSB

@24 If you need players to accomodate your game, rather than making a game that accomodates players, then that’s the very definition of bad design.

It’s certainly true that the weapons and maps were ridiculous in BC2 as well, but I don’t see how it suddenly becomes great because they do the same thing twice.

Maybe I just don’t get it, because BF3 somehow creates its own logic, but you’re really not ever supposed to be sniped from 500 yards by a machinegun. It’s just poor balancing, and sloppy level design.

It wasn’t a common thing in BF2 either. The maps were smaller and far better designed, and the weapons were balanced with far more care.

Sorry I hurt your baby, but it’s flawed.

26. GrimRita

BC2 was more about being shot from hundreds of metres away by a shotgun! But when you create a world with so many stupid and pointless unlocks, the game quickly can become unbalanced.

In BF3 there’s simply far too many – hell, it wouldnt surprise me if you could unlock a toothbrush holder!