Red Dead Redemption PC looks increasingly unlikely

Thursday, 6th October 2011 03:20 GMT By Brenna Hillier

While reaffirming its commitment to the platform in one breath, Rockstar has dampened hopes for a PC release of Red Dead Redemption in another.

“We do know that, yes, there is just one title absent from our PC release plans – that game of course being Red Dead Redemption, and of course we’re well aware that some fans have been asking for it,” a spokesperson wrote on the Rockstar Blog.

“All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100 percent of the time for all platforms.

“To PC gamers, we hope that between the Grand Theft Auto titles, and the forthcoming L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3, you’ll have plenty of great Rockstar action to enjoy.”

Rockstar announced a PC version of L.A. Noire late last month; it’s due in early November.

Red Dead Redemption arrived on consoles in May 2010, blitzing award ceremonies for the next twelve months and topping the charts.

Thanks, Ausgamers.

1. Colin Gallacher

I think that’s the right choice. I don’t think it would make financial sense for them to spend money and resources porting the game over for a few hundred thousand sales, especially when all the hype surrounding the title has fizzled out.

2. Sini

fuck. This game is so much better than gta, loved it on my ps3

3. turin

Shame. For me, this is one of the best games never to appear on the PC…

4. jacobvandy

@1 Do you realize that a “few hundred thousand sales” would be like $10-15 million gross? If they can’t make a profit from that (spend no more than 4/5/6 million on porting), maybe you’re right, they shouldn’t bother.

5. Joe_Gamer

Every gamer I know would love to have this on PC, I guess they just don’t like making money.

6. YoungZer0

Idiots. Everybody was asking for RDR and not L.A. Noire and you give us L.A. Noire! That fucking shitty game!

7. GrimRita

I dont know if people would buy a port. Who cares anyway? There’s lots of brilliant games out there for PC Gamers.

8. VieS

and what? pc sucks anyway..

9. blackdreamhunk

@5 not every game like or wants Red Dead Redemption or cares for it. Oh one more thing I guarantee the will be on the pc in the future if there is any new consoles or when the console market dies.

10. deadstoned

I dont get it Rockstar, everyone asks for RDR and you give LA Noire? /facepalm Red Dead Redemption was the superior game out of the two from review scores, to sales and hype. Why the fuck would you port your worse game over when your looking for more cash?!

11. blackdreamhunk

i honestly hate cowboys theme in movies, songs or games. Nothing pleases me more not to see trash and rehashed game play RDR retarded on the pc.

Oh I still think it should have never made game of the year and it’s not innovative.

12. blackdreamhunk

/facepalm

LA Noire looks like a much better game!

13. Christopher Jack

Even as a kid I never liked cowboys, thought they were gay before I even knew what gay meant, but Red Dead is still one of the best games that I’ve ever played & even though Undead Nightmares had nothing innovative, it’s still an excellent experience compared to any other add on content.

14. blackdreamhunk

cowboys are stupid theme enough said! I am willing to bet only 0.1 percent of the pc popualtion would buy rdr.

15. Christopher Jack

0.1 percent of the PC population is still a huge amount, let’s just assume that 1billion people own a PC, that’s still 1million people who will purchase the game.

16. Eregol

Loving this comment:
    BDH: every game in history ends up on the pc no matter what even sonic the hedge hog did.

I thought BDH had gone to the big troll forum in the sky. He’s still here spouting his usual crap.

Most games will only end up on PC due to hacked code and emulators. That is not official.

17. IL DUCE

Yeah this is a shame…I might have enjoyed RDR more than GTA IV…

If any of the PC gamers out there have consoles which I’m sure some do, you need to pick it up for the consoles and hit it up if you haven’t already…otherwise, definitely a huge game to miss out on for PC gamers…

18. Sadismek

Good thing I had the chance to play and finish the game on PS3. What a shame, really. Even in Romania, which doesn’t have many gamers, people still wait for RDR to appear on PC :(

19. Topsu

Seeing the prairie in PC graphics would’ve been amazing.

20. booger

That’s fine. Don’t release it for PC. As far as all future GTA titles, L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3 are concerned, I plan to pirate the crap out of all of them. RockStar won’t see another dime of my money. Long Live Piracy!

By the way, just spent a fortune on legit copies of Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim and Assassin’s Creed Revelations. Yup, EA, Activision, BioWare and the rest will get my cash now.

Bye-bye RockStar. You don’t give a shit about us. We don’t give a shit about you.