FF Versus XIII now in full development, says Square

Monday, 12th September 2011 08:40 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Square Enix dev Yoshinori Kitase has confirmed that Final Fantasy Versus XIII has now entered into full development.

At the fan meeting held for Final Fantasy XIII-2 in Tokyo over the weekend, Kitase, who’s producer on the Fabula Nova Crystallis series where Versus comes from, noted that “for Type-0 and Versus XIII we are giving 100% to development.”

Back in July this year, game director Tetsuya Nomura said that the game had yet to enter production, even after being announced at E3 2006 five years ago.

A new seven minute trailer mixed of CG and gameplay aired back in January. The game won’t be at TGS in any form this week.

Kitase also touched upon the quickness of the release of FFXIII-2, saying it’s down to the reletively brief development time the game has had, as well as know how from work on FFXIII itself.

Thanks, Nova Crystallis.

1. Patrick Garratt

“Q4, 2016.”

2. Freek

PS4 launch title confirmed.

3. Blerk

Does anyone still care, even?

4. JimFear-666

I wish shit enix will close before the release of another fucking faggot game in this shitty series

5. StolenGlory

I would like to say that this title has been in development for nearly half as long as Duke Nukem Forever was, but that isn’t true; development has only really started NOW which means…

Yeah, will be waiting a bit.

6. Freek

@4 So not excited about the rumoured anouncement of FFXIII-3, then? ;) (a url registration points to that game being considered)

7. StolenGlory

That will probably see a release before Final Fantasy Forever Versus XIII does.

8. Zana

Pretty surprised by the immature reactions to any news related to Final Fantasy but well, I guess people grow up in the end. Versus looks very promising in terms of background and gameplay, really looking forward to it. Fortunately there will be FFXIII-2 before that, it will ease the wait.

9. Blerk

Have we even seen any Versus gameplay yet?

10. StolenGlory

Don’t get me wrong, I am thoroughly looking forward to it having utterly broke the back of FFXIII and love it to pieces in the process, but come on now, it’s hilariously protracted development cycle (they shouldn’t have announced it as early as they did) is certainly poke/lul/troll-worthy I think.

Especially on a shitty Monday morning; after all, I need to get my kicks somehow :)

11. StolenGlory

We have yep.

12. Erthazus

Funny thing is that i bought 80GB PS3 just for this game and (MGS4)

I blame only Sony, not Square Enix. Sony always like to announce a fuckton of software that is not even started development and after that they always forget to deliver on their promises.
    Square Enix problem is that they kinda lost it’s way. But they returned me with Deus Ex and i hope next FF installment.

I still want the game despite all this madness.

13. Zana

@10 Yeah it definitely was announced too early. Wasn’t pointing to your comment though.

14. AHA-Lambda

so another 5 years?

15. Ireland Michael

What, nobody has jumped in with “And not a single fuck was given that day” yet?!

I am disappoint.

16. ultramega

Yes, because this is somehow Sony’s fault. You’re right. You must be a little deluded right now.

17. Clupula

I seriously don’t see how it’s Sony’s fault that a third party is taking a long time to develop a game.

I’m still excited for it, though. The brief gameplay clips they showed in the last trailer looked better than I expected. I can only hope this stays exclusive and they do something like make it a two Blu-Ray game, just to drive the point home.

18. DaMan

Pretty unsurprised by the adequate reactions this unreasonably overhyped, numerously delayed, humorously looking game gets. I ‘d hazard a guess that’s because, well people ‘ve indeed outgrown this dying series.

19. Erthazus

@16, it was Sony’s fault announcing this thing too early first of all. They announced for Ps3 launch hype meter (which in the end was nothing special, except for fanboys that fight over the exclusivity)
    Second is Square enix fault for not delivering the game in the upcoming years.

but i still want to check it out. I remember 10 or 13 minutes video with gameplay and cut scenes and it was really good for the Japanese RPG. IMO

20. Ireland Michael

@19 Sony didn’t announce this. Square did.

Why is this hard for you to understand?

21. Dralen

Whether I get this or not purely depends on when it’s released. If it’s released when there are a fuck ton of other games coming out, I’ll probably skip it, but if there’s nothing else coming out I’ll probably get it.

22. HauntaVirus

Holy shit, why has this game even been announced, games should be announced a year in advance at the most.