Battlefield 3 in-game server browser for consoles, not PC

Friday, 19th August 2011 14:39 GMT By Stace Harman

Additional details reveal that the PC version’s main game menu will be the Battlelog home page. I feel like I’m kicking a hornet’s nest.

In a move that’s bound to cause some consternation amongst PC gamers, it’s been confirmed via the Battlefield blog and in a Twitter response that an in-game browser for finding game servers – a long-term staple of online PC gaming – has been included in the console versions of Battlefield 3, but not the PC version.

Further digging of senior gameplay designer Alan Kertz’s Twitter feed suggests that the PC version of EA’s upcoming shooter won’t have an in-game main menu at all. Instead, the homepage of the game’s online stat-tracking and social tools service, Battlelog, will serve as Battlefield 3′s main menu on PC.

From the Battlelog menu – which does feature a server browser – you’ll jump straight into a game with no loading of splash pages or title sequences. Fundamentally, however, it means that if you’re not best-pleased with the game you’re currently playing you have to quit out and look for another server, not see if there’s one that takes your fancy while you contemplate jumping ship.

Whilst the console versions will also make use of Battlelog’s stat tracking tools, they will otherwise behave in the usual way with the added bonus of an in-game server browser.

Battlefield 3 launches for PC, PS3 and 360 on October 25 in the US, October 27 in Australia and October 28 in Europe.

Thanks, AusGamers.

1. CaptKillsteal

So… in order to swap servers I have to completely unload the game, reopen the battlelog, search for one in there, wait for the game to reload all resources, load the server, and then hope it’s halfway decent?

WTF.

Anyone with a higher end PC can do this fairly quickly, but someone with the minimum reqs is going to have a hell of a time following their squad-mates server to server…

2. Phoenixblight

SO your mad that your PC is not updated?

3. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t worry…

Apparently, DICE always listens to it’s PC fanbase…

lol.

4. El_MUERkO

or you alt-tab, either way the game loads really fast, easily on par with games that are loading from the in-game server browser

5. Yoshi

FUCKKkk YOUUU!!! *walks off*

EDIT: Whoop for twitter abuse.

6. Erthazus

“So… in order to swap servers I have to completely unload the game”

LOL? Noob?

Alt-tab and there will be an option to return to the Battlelog thing without unloading a game.

this just going to reduce shitty loading screens. Nothing new here and it was done before and this is the right thing to do.

small example: Battlefield Play4Free. Something like that.

7. NeoSquall

I’m fine with using Battlelog as server browser, but I’m worried about how can one use the ingame options without having to log in a server and “abuse” its space to fiddle with one’s own options.

Unless DICE plans to put an external “configurator” tool of sorts, then there’s no problem at all.

Think about it, server browsing from the Battlelog is WAY FASTER than it is from, say, BC2 browser and it’s true that the game client loads fast enough, even on a 2008 PC.

8. freedoms_stain

I’m 90% sure Battlelog well be faster than the traditional method.

I’m a chrome user, Chrome has a fairly big memory footprint and I have a lot of extensions which access my connection in the background, not ideal for being on while I game, so I dedicated Firefox as my Battlelog browser, clean install, no extensions, single tab open while I play. The server browser is one click from the main battlelog page, select a server and the game loads directly into the match, I haven’t had to sit through any bollocks animations or be told the game plays better with nvidia or ati, right into the game, and when I quit the server there’s no time wasted loading a menu screen, the game just quits, and what’s that there? Why my server browser is already open, all I gotta do its hit refresh. Marvellous.

As for the extra memory having a browser open while playing consumes, negligible with the gigantic memory headroom anyone with a rig capable of running this game has.

9. guapo

Win for consoles!!

10. LOLshock94

i swear to god if they have true rank skill like on bad company 2 i will throw the game out my window

11. strikkebil

LOL

12. Nissanthen

Seriously guys, many of the alpha testers are saying that this is an amazing feature, to quote one of the posters from RPS:

“It’s VERY fast, quite nice to look at, you can make group with friend by drag-droping them in the group, group join servers, you have more filters than BC2, you can keep browsing while the game is loading in the background and THEN it pops up.

No splash screen, ALT F4 takes 1 second or 2 at max, alt tabbing is very efficient.

I’m sorry, but this system is way better than any I’ve tried.”

13. mongbatstar

I thought origin had a steam style web browser overlay?

If so, can’t you just use that?

14. Phoenixblight

It does and you can.

15. DSB

Same antiquated system, different launcher. Big whoop.

DICE definitely have a lot to make up for after the BC2 interface. It was just hopelessly bad.

I don’t see why this would bother anyone though. PC gamers get to be stuck in the past, and they get a nicer client than the console folks.

16. GrimRita

During Alpha Battlelog was ok. But it didnt have any preferences for servers, you always had to click to order the servers in the best ping order. The game sits over Battlelog.

The one thing players WILL find, its the entire pedestrian nature of playing an online game now.After each game, theres a 30 second wait. This doesnt include the time to load the next game/map – just after each mode is over. zzzzzz

Why Origin doesnt have an overlay is yet another reason why it clearly sucks!

17. _S_E_R_G_

this all can be integrated in ONE thing – The Game.
    i dont like this BLog->Origin->Game->BLog->Game.. BLog->Game

why i should press ATT+TAB to see SBrowser in Web Browser if in other games i only press one Button – Esc and can see all i need.

18. Len

It’s a total non-issue and worked fine when I was playing the beta. Just streamlines things.

19. freedoms_stain

@16, origin does have an overlay, I used the chat through it a couple of times, nowhere near as smooth as the steam one though.

20. Fin

BOYCOTT BF3

21. deadstoned

I’ve played the Alpha on my PC and was afraid of this. The site is functional, but I don’t think it hands down beats a server browser. I would at least like a menu for the single player part of the game and co-op or DICE will really be pissing off the PC players.

22. Xuchilbara

@20 – Hahahah, You post this after calling me a BF3 fanboy? Typical…

In all actuality guys I was bothered by this too, but after playing the Alpha do not see a problem. The Battlelog works perfectly fine. You can either alt tab to the server browser, Exit game, or Alt F4, all of them will take you back to the server browser in seconds, so there really is no issue here, regardless of how it sounds :)

23. mongbatstar

@14 so this is really a non-issue then?

I shift+tab for the in game overlay and pick my new server? That’s possibly better than COD et al, I don’t have to quit my current session to see if there’s better servers available.

24. OrbitMonkey

So this is another non issue, that only pc owners who havn’t been on the beta will get all worked up about?

25. GrimRita

@22 and we all know how the PC likes Alt tabbing……

Either EA are too lazy or just too stupid to build an in game server browser. Must they cut costs all over the place, at the risk of lowering the quality/experience?!

I’m so glad I have cancelled my pre-order. I dont fancy playing Bad Company 3.

26. Fin

Am rabble rousing. I’d never boycott a game due to a design decision.

27. jacobvandy

Just about everybody who played in the Alpha test (including myself) agrees that this was way faster and better than the menus in Bad Company 2 or any other Battlefield game. The rest of you should quit whining, at least until you try it yourself and have a legitimate reason to do so…

28. Gekidami

Wont the PC version still have a more traditional main menu, i mean; what happens if you want to play without being connected to internet? If you’re not online it cant load up Battlelog. Surely the SP doesnt pass through that.

29. Len

@25 I think we’ve got the msg that you have cancelled yr order seeing as you feel the need to mention it in every related thread.

Bet you still get a copy of it on the sly and play it hhough…you know you want to! ;)

30. AHA-Lambda

is anyone else starting to feel like the PC version is becoming more unattractive now as a purchase due to all these stupid niggly annoyances?

My PC wont run this at particularly high settings anyway and im debating to just get this on ps3 and not deal with crap like this and origin.

31. OrbitMonkey

@30 Your right mate, why jump through EA’s hoops when you can have a stress free ps3 experience. In fact all you pc guys should get It on ps3, that’ll show EA you mean business!

In fact a guy a DICE said the ps3 was the lead platform & all the pc love was a smoke screen for the pc dude-bro’s to jump off the COD ship.

That guys name? Er, Sunny Ericsson or sumfin… true story though :)

32. Virginityrocks

@31 and play a first person shooter with joysticks like some jackass? No thank you.

33. Fin

“like some jackass”

This guy sounds like a bit of a-

“Virginityrocks”

Ah, that explains it.

34. GrimRita

@29 I know :( But Im gonna see if the issues that dogged BC2 are fixed in BF3 as some of them werent in the Alpha. Yes its alpha but I dont think the game engine can handle the hitboxes all that well.

@31 Looking at an earlier news story on here about how the PS3 cant do cross-game chat due to lack of ram, just about sums up the whole experience on the PS3 – limited.

35. albo88