EA going on offensive with Battlefield 3 marketing

Tuesday, 10th May 2011 13:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EA has said it’s going on the “offense” in regards to its marketing on Battlefield 3, saying that it kicked off its campaign early to establish a “beachhead.”

“With Battlefield 3, we believe that we have superior technology and gameplay. The gaming press validated this at GDC with a slew of accolades. We just need for everyone else in the mainstream to know that too,” the game’s senior director of marketing, Lincoln Hirshberger told IG.

“Last year, Battlefield Bad Company 2 earned better scores than the competition but, because Battlefield released in March, a lot of the mainstream Holiday hit buyers just weren’t aware that Battlefield was the better game. This year, we’re playing offense by launching Battlefield 3 in the holiday and we’re starting to get the word out early by kicking off our campaign to the mass market.

“We decided to go big early in order to establish a beachhead with a larger audience and so far the results have been fantastic.”

He added that the campaign will go across various areas including retail, community and social.

Battlefield 3 launches this fall for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. StolenGlory

*Clutches LE copy of Medal Of Honor*

Yeah, and part of that ‘Beachhead’ can be to get the farking beta out there ASAP.

Although truthfully speaking, I don’t expect to hear much about it until E3 whereupon the MP portion of the game will get it’s first proper unveiling.

2. locus2k1

Give us a release date first EA, then you can go PR the hell out of it as much as you want :)

No Facebook unlocks though, I beg of you.

3. Grimrita

How on earth a bug field game achieved such good review scores is debatable. Until we see some actual multiplayer footage, I am not pre-ordering after getting bitten by Bug Company 2 with its bullet proof leaves, crap hitboxes, invisble bullet proof walls etc etc.

4. NeoSquall

@2 Quoting every character.

@3 Please return to your Call of Grenades and don’t come back.

5. Hunam

I never encountered anything like Grimrita seems to get. But BC2 was hindered by the fact the game made no attempt to balance teams or put better players together, meaning public matches we’re very one sided. Thankfully with the PC version being 64 players it’ll mean even the best player won’t have a massive effect on the game because he can just be outnumbered.

6. onlineatron

‘going on’

I’ve already seen TV adverts for the TRAILER here in the UK. The marketing machine is in full force, we will not be spared.

7. UuBuU

As long as it sells well and appeals to the mainstream crowd that’s all that matters, right, EA?

And I honestly couldn’t care less about how superior they think their technology and gameplay is. How it plays online is what matters, and that’s something they got wrong with BC2.

8. IL DUCE

@2 if you did a little research you would know its planning to release the week before the next CoD on 11/1/2011 according to GameFly

Put it this way, I am pre-ordering this today and looking forward to the beta, I will not be buying the next CoD since I’m sure it will be just as unoriginal as the past 3…

9. Fin

I’ll buy both this and CoD, as I find both fun to play.

10. Schindet Nemo

Being a Battlefield fan since BF2 I’ll be getting BF3 anyway but I’m growing tired of this aggressive PR campaign.

11. mojo

blablablahhhhh
    RELEASE SOME MP FOOTAGE FINALY FFS.

u seriously start to piss me off with all that bulltalk.

12. Jan

BF2 is a great game, I really love it, and play it with my friends all the time, and its great fun, its true the hitbox can feel a little big sometimes, but it counts for everybody, so I don’t really feel I get cheated.

I can’t wait for BF3, I just don’t hope there is too much planes in there like with the old battlefield 1942

13. ManuOtaku

My first battlefield game was Bad company two, and i did prefer it over call of duty, i like the team aspect of the game, and that not all the people is running and gunning, also the flow of the game the weapons and the destruction of the enviorement, for me is the best FPS multiplayer experience, halo reach is coming close but again this series push all the right buttons for me, i hope this game is great because i understand is different for the Bad company series, but knowing that have to many similarities makes me happy, i cannot wait, november cannot came soon enough, and/or please give the BETA already.

14. FadeLive

I heard they were going to show the first screens from Back To Karkand today from their twitter, really hope that is true. Battlefield 3 looks great from what they have shown so far but I would love to see some multiplayer stuff.

15. UuBuU

@13 – No offence, but considering either BC2 or Halo Reach as the best FPS multiplayer experience shows what little experience you have in the genre. Both are a million miles away from that honour.

16. Jan

#15 – No offence, but everybody has a different taste, instead of just insulting people, why don’t you say what you think is the best FPS?

17. ManuOtaku

#15 well is true i dont have to much experience on the multiplayer FPS genre, i starting playing multiplayer FPS this gen (i didnt have internet connection before), but for what i did play this gen those are my two top picks, i did played all the call of dutys of this gen, the three halos, homefront, Medal Of Honor,Crysis 2,Team Fortress, Killzone 2 and Resistance ,and for me the best of this gen on the consoles front is Bad Company 2, becuase it did pushed all the right buttons, sorry if for you is not the best man, but for me it is, maybe if you tell me which one is yours we can debate it, but again iam not a savy on this topic.

18. UuBuU

@16 = I wasn’t trying to insult him, hence why I said “no offence”.

19. Grimrita

@4 I am not a CoD player. Havent touched it and never will as its a pc port.

@5 Operation Hastings multiplayer – give it a whirl. The US base, to the left of the entrance is a small hill with trees. If you are recon, and you try to snip say to C outpost, your bullet will stop in the forest but there are actually NO trees in front of you just clear air.

Or, on the right side, you try and fire at someone in the left side who is behind a LEAF and the bullet wont even touch him.

Theres lots of examples and these poor hit boxes explain why mortar strikes sometimes miss their targets and land directly on yourself. For all the PR bullshit, BC2 feels like a console game on the PC, despite looking superb.

I have been a BF fan since day 1 but BC2 has shaken my confidence in the Frostshite game engine.

I dont want any more PR hot air, I want multiplayer footage!