Alan Wake 2 mentioned in LinkedIn CV

Monday, 9th May 2011 13:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

A LinkedIn CV has all but revealed that Remedy’s next project will be Alan Wake 2.

Mentioned on the profile of Althea Suarez Gata, its mentioned that she was working on in-game cinematics for the game last month.

Up until now, an Alan Wake sequel has all but been assumed, but never confirmed. Last year, it said it was ramping up for a “AAA project” for 360. It then announced that it was looking to work with a programmer with Kinect experience for the “next iteration” of the Alan Wake engine.

Last month, a report from OXM US suggested a sequel to the thriller was “looking good.” Remedy has already said in the past that it has Wake 2′s story “mapped out.”

The first Alan Wake launched last May for Xbox 360.

Thanks, SCRAWL.

1. Blerk

With Sony otherwise occupied, it’s now down to Microsoft to accidentally leak all of their E3 shit early. :-D

2. DaMan

Unless they make it open world, like the first one was originally planned, I’m not touching this with a ten foot pole.

3. daytripper

the first one had some wonderful lighting effects

4. Blerk

I don’t need it to be open world, just a bit more adventurey.

5. Benjo1981

I enjoyed the story so am not bothered so much about changing the mechanics much. It was nice to see a videogame *trying* to tell a story addressing a sophisticated topic (the relation of fiction to reality).

6. Doomsayer

Hell yeah, im so in for this. Bring it on.

7. AHA-Lambda

@2 – agreed, for me AW was one of the bigger disappointments of this gen.

8. Ge0force

Alan Wake had a great story and atmosphere, but the gameplay got rather boring after a while. The addition of Kinect can make things even worse.

9. Malmer

One of the absolute best games this generation. Getting Alan Wake 2 in 2012 would be amazing. So happy right now!!!

10. Dralen

Here’s me hoping this one is a bit longer than the first.

11. Blerk

Well, you can say one thing about Alan Wake – it certainly splits opinions. :-D

12. ManuOtaku

Well i did like the first game a lot, for me it is a great game, i didnt find the game lacking on the gameplay mechanics, even if for some gamers it was the same thing over and over again, i did like that the tension knowing that the enemies were atacking for behind and upfront, the light mechanics were nicely done too it add a lot of tension, if i have one critic is that in my eyes was too short, and not too much replay value, therefore i cannot wait for number two, bring it home please ASAP

13. Blerk

People who complain that AW was rubbish should be forced to play Silent Hill: Homecoming. :-|

14. Erthazus

For me it was dissapointment that after so many years Alan Wake was cancelled for PC.

Thats just retarded. Thank god that i borrowed Xbox 360 from my friend to ensure that in the end hype was not worth at all.

I still Love Max Payne 1.

@Blerk, Homecoming was just a piece of shit. End of story. Alan Wake was hyped through the Fujii Mountain and beyond.
    And in the end they dissapointed everyone. From PC gamers (they just left in the dust) and for 360 gamers in most cases.

15. Phoenixblight

I have played both and ALan Wake was still crap, it followed an elementary school horror book plotline. Remedy had the gull to say it was a horror game? The only horror part that there was, was the fact that someone actually thought it was a good idea to publish that shit.

16. Erthazus

@15, +1 :D

“The only horror part that there was, was the fact that someone actually thought it was a good idea to publish that shit.”

Classic.

17. Blerk

I don’t really understand how people could hate it, tbh. Dislike it, sure, but hate should be reserved for badly-made crap that really deserves it. Like Silent Hill: Homecoming, for instance. :-D

18. Stardog

Talk about throwing money down the drain… Nobody bought the 1st one.

19. AHA-Lambda

@13 – and how would that make AW retrospectively a good game?
    @18 – this. regardless of what you thought about the first no one bought it i find it astounding a sequel is being made O__o

20. Erthazus

I’m not sure if no one bought it. But i think they sold 1+ million copies in the end, no?

21. YoungZer0

That game is beyond Yawn. Horrible story, horrible characters, facial animation from 1995 and shallow, repetitive gameplay.

22. Blerk

@19, perspective. Things don’t look quite so bad when faced with something far, far worse. :-)

23. Phoenixblight

“If you remember back to that interview that Pat did with them before release, I asked them if they were trying to reinvent horror for the current gen and they said that they didn’t think of the game as ‘horror’ at all, but rather as a ‘thriller’. It is kind of horror though, although more psychological than physical.”

Where Exactly was the thriller part? There was no parts that I was getting a rush from. You have ammo thrown everywhere and when it was a boss they put crates with unlimited ammo so you kinda knew there was a boss battle. Nothing about that game was original if anything it was a action Third person shooter where you play Alan Wake shooting shadows…. Then the plot was taken straight from a Goosebumps book.

24. minxamo

Brilliant game, a sequel would be a day 1 purchase.

25. DJ Deathstar

@Phoenixblight
    Well no actually Remedy didn’t call it a horror game, it was a thriller, hence why it says so on the box… Also im assuming you didnt play the game on nightmare difficulty than? As often you have to do with little ammo

Alan Wake has been one of my favourite games this generation, and i don’t see how people can say the story is bad, i really enjoyed the story and it is FAR better than most of the shitty storylines we get in games, and yes the only problem i would say with it is that to get the full story you had to buy the dlc but still i loved every minute of it and can’t wait for a sequel!

26. locus2k1

woop :D Though it was a flawed Gem I really did enjoy the first, I’m glad both this and Heavenly Sword are potentially getting sequels :)

More Poets of the Fall please Remedy :)

27. Dralen

It says on the front of the box “A Psychological Action Thriller”!! Where oh where does it say it was a horror game? Yes it had it’s flaws, but it was still a good game.

28. Noodlemanny

No it wasn’t the best game in the world by far, but it defiantly has alot of potential, and you know what I think they exploited a least some of that potential. Not all of it mind, but the gameplay/combat was interesting and fresh if repetitive, the story was and is interesting and the characters have… limited appeal.

There was so much more they could of done with this game and it could of been really deep and Sixth Sense type deal. But it wasn’t. It was good,
    they had big dreams but too little time to fully realise them and even less to iron them out.
    I though the story line was very inventive and like I said could of been a Sixth Sense moment. It was very Stephen King Esque (which isn’t always a good thing) and it concluded in a weird but wonderful way.

As for the combat parts, well, I love Bioware games but don’t participially enjoy the whole hardcore RPG combat scene so for me repetitive and uninteresting combat is not a problem. And anyway I would say its a thriller, there are a few moments when your running down another dark forest and your all like “common, hurry up” and then WAM.
    One thing I would say that I found annoying was the fact he ran like five foot before getting all tired despite being completely hyped up on adrenaline because there’s darkness consumed axe wielding murders chasing him. Come on I could sprint further than Alan wake if I’d just run a marathon… not that I could run a marathon…

For these reasons I really hope they make a sequel, cos it probably can only be better

29. Phoenixblight

“It says on the front of the box “A Psychological Action Thriller”!! Where oh where does it say it was a horror game? Yes it had it’s flaws, but it was still a good game”

Where was the cerebral part where was this Psychological Thriller part. It was a kids version of a Third Person Shooter.

Identity with John Cusack is a Psychological Thriller. This game was RL Stine’s version of Darkness Falls minus the whole killer tooth fairy. There was nothing about the game that should be considered a thriller or psychological.

30. Noodlemanny

@Phoenixblight
    I guess this is where we disagree.

31. Gadzooks!

Alan Wake 2 is a day one purchase for me. The first one is one of the highlights of this gen.

There are so very few games around with genuine atmosphere, and AW is unparalleled at creating the kind of creeping dread that real horror is all about.

I also loved the reality/nightmare headfuck nature of the story.

Refreshing and engrossing, and looked absolutely stunning in the night scenes. Not quite so good during the day mind (high contrast alert! Jaggies deployed!), but still very nice.

32. Benjo1981

As I’ve mentioned, I really enjoyed the first game. I’m hopeful that a less disrupted – in the sense that it was an open-world game, then not so much – development cycle will allow them to really build on the great ideas which were in AW1.

33. Dralen

I hardly see how this game was hyped. No-one bought it when it first came out. Out of all my friends I was the only one to buy on release; some of them eventually purchased it much later on, but none of them were interested at all when it first came out. When I later asked them what they thought of it, they all agreed that they were surprised how good it was.

34. CptKurk

Alan Wake has sold 1,004,648 copies according to VGChartz. What’s curious is the game’s sales curve: the game has continued to sell quite solidly ever since its launch. No doubt this is partly because it was going for 15 quid or less very soon after its release, but initial predictions of Alan Wake being a “slow but consistent seller” seem to have been spot on.

I wonder if the fact that Amazon UK is selling Alan Wake for £7.70 has any impact on royalties, because Remedy’s future was on the line with this one. Still, overall impressions seem to be overwhelmingly favourable, so now’s the time for cheap bastards like me to place their order!