Capcom’s Dragon’s Dogma getting medieval in early 2012

Tuesday, 12th April 2011 16:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It was true: Capcom announced Dragon’s Dogma at Captivate last week, and the open-world, action-RPG puts players in a fantasy setting where a dragon has descended upon a village to steal the chosen one’s heart. Shots and video.

After having his heart yanked out by a dragon, our hero – still alive of course – must search out the dragon in order to reclaim it.

It’ll be no easy ride: you and three AI partners will be tasked with saving villagers, killing large mythological beasts such as a Hydra and a Gryphon, and finding out why the hero is the dragon’s chosen chap.

It all looks very lovely, and we were not only surprised to learn that it was an truly open-world game, but that all of the NPCs in the game will be fully-voiced as well.

The game is under direction from DMC alumni Hideaki Itsuna and Resident Evil 4 producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi. Itsuna told us last week that this game has the largest development team than any other project at Capcom – but more on that later this week.

Dragon’s Dogma is slated for an early 2012 release on PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. Blerk

Hmm. The text sounded promising and the screenies look alright, but the video’s a bit…. hmm.

Everything looks too fast and doesn’t seem to have any ‘weight’ behind it. It’s almost like they set out to do a Demon’s Souls but got sidetracked and went a bit Devil May Cry.

2. Blerk

Also, AI-controlled team. Brr. :-(

3. Stephany Nunneley

This is on my “must have” list. I mean, from what I saw, etc, I am crossing my fingers that it’s going to be rather good. We’ll have more on this later in the week etc. Promise! :)

4. Ireland Michael

So tell me, are the lead character’s names Ryu and Nina by any chance?

5. Blerk

What’s with the soundtrack suddenly going all ‘wailing guitars hair-metal’ in the middle there, too? :-D

6. Ireland Michael

@5 Hey, at least it’s not nu-metal.

7. distraet

I was feeling this, but then I turned on the sound.

8. Christopher Jack

Woo! We need more Open-world RPGs. Fallout, Elder Scrolls & Fable are some of my favourite games but none of them have gotten it quite right, they always fail in one important area.

9. Blerk

Regardless of my gripes, this is the most interesting Capcom project in a long time for me. Fix those things and don’t stuff anything else up, lads. And lose the hair-metal. :-D

10. KrazyKraut

some kind of demons souls? just more colors.

11. Dark

looks ok , but the gameplay is too fast for an RPG game.

12. DrDamn

Yep agree there. Looks interesting enough to keep track of.

13. ManuOtaku

I never heard of this game before, but for what i do see, it is looking good, i will keep an eye on this one for now on.

14. fortelv999

replace those devil may cry with breath of fire on the credited guys and i would just put myself in cryo-sleep until it was released…

seriously, make BoF VI for NGP at least… please :)

15. typeface

This game pretty much feels more like Lost Planet went Medieval really which is probably why I’ve got little to no faith in this. I wonder if people have forgotten how bad LP2 actually was. It’s not too difficult for them to go on a similar path with this game.

A better wrpg fix probably would be KoA:Reckoning and of course there’s always Dark Souls for Demon’s souls and even possibly a Demon’s Souls 2 maybe.

16. Gheritt White

Sure to be full of *really* fucking annoying NPCs, per every JRPG ever.

17. OlderGamer

I am sold.

18. UuBuU

Screenshots look amazing. I agree with Blerk about the video though – i’m slightly less impressed.

Also, the lack of a PC release is disappointing. RPGs can only ever be “good” or occasionally “great” on consoles in my opinion. To even to be in with a chance of being “incredible” or “one of the greatest of all time”, it has to be on PC and has to be fully modifiable.

19. DaMan

Dunno about annoying npcs, but fortunately it obviously won’t have a dull battle system reminiscent of tinkering with folders on the desktop, which put me off playing any wrpg apart from Fallout /TES and the likes.

20. Bloodyghost

LOOKS DAMN GOOD! Reminds me of Elder Scrolls meets Demon Souls. Looks VERY promising. I will be keeping a close eye on this.

I also think the voice acting in the trailer was better then most english voice actors in Japanese based games ESPECIALLY JRPG games.

I LOVE the people behind this too, and the fact that most of Capcom is going behind this makes it all the more better.

I want it!!

Also I yelled DAMN when I saw those great animations.

21. AHA-Lambda

looks neat enough but generic fantasy doesn’t particularly appeal to me so….

also what’s with the mad guitar riffs in the middle of the trailer? O_o

22. Bloodyghost

@21 I know. That kinda caused me to laugh but HOPEFULLY that wont happen again.

23. Rosseu

don’t make me buy this crapcom :(

This looks like a faster and a more open demon’s souls. Looks really good tbh.

24. Bloodyghost

@23 A faster, brighter, more fantasy oriented Dark Souls more like it.

25. DaMan

looks nothing like DS to me, that game is a dungeon crawler a la King’s Field, this one looks more similar to an open world rpg ie Xenoblade or FF XII.

26. The_Red

3 AI controlled team mates… Capcom… Lost Planet 2… Trouble. Still, the game looks fun. Could be some kind of next-gen Monster Hunter.

27. YoungZer0

@2: Wow, disinterested very fast.

28. joseangelhe

I want this.

@4 We could only wish…

29. YoungZer0

@26: Why not just release a Monster Hunter for PS3 instead?

30. Ireland Michael

@28 I was hoping someone might get the reference.

31. joseangelhe

I’ve been waiting for a new Breath of Fire for waaay too long

32. Cangriman

First of all, my first post since I join this site.

I really have to said, that I liking that style of gameplay. Really fast, and I hoping it does really deliver.

33. ThatVirtualGuy

It looks like Capcom might have taken something from the Monster Hunter series from times gone by. looks like a more fast paced Dragon Age or a more intense Elder Scrolls.