Prey 2 announced by Bethesda, releasing next year

Monday, 14th March 2011 14:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Bethesda’s confirmd that Prey 2 is indeed a real thing, and is releasing next year on consoles and PC.

The game will come from Human Head Studios, the lot who made the first game what it was. It’ll be built using “the cutting edge id tech engine from id Software.”

“We are thrilled to be working with Bethesda on Prey 2,” said project lead, Chris Rhinehart.

The first details on the game will appear from the May issue of PSM3. It appeared on the French cover of a gaming magazine over the weekend.

The first Prey launched back in 2006 for PC and 360 from 2K. The rights of the IP have now switched to Bethesda.

1. Gheritt White

Colour me interested if this uses ID Tech 5

2. Lehnsherr

The first Prey was not an industry changing game, by any means, but I did find it to be an extremely fun game. Then again, as long as it was in development, it should not have just been fun, but it SHOULD have been industry changing. Looking forward to playing this one as well.

3. Hunam

@2 The version we got would have been on a normal dev cycle, it was on and off for years but I doubt most of what was done on the 8 or so years before it came out would have been chucked in the bin and Human Head would have started off new.

I agree though, not a massive game, but a good game with some clever level design and fun gameplay. MP was terrible but that’s neither here nor there.

4. RockTwist

Excited by this too, liked the first Prey – especially the pub setting at the start. Wish they’d expanded on that a bit.

5. Xuchilbara

Very good news! Glad to see it is being made by the original team and not Bethesda. I love Bethesda, just not for this game…

6. OrbitMonkey

Liked the origional *spoiler* except when they turned your girlfriend into a dog monster… who you had to kill… that sucked :(

7. Talyis

Damn looks like I gotta get it for the PC, since Bethesda had been up Microsoft’s ass so much this gen. It’s getting annoying! Why no PS3 version?

8. spiderLAW

I guess im one of the few that didnt enjoy the first one that much. In my review i gave it a 6/10 (average with signs of potential). I thought it was a game that was fun enough to play from beginning to end but nothing memorable or nothing worth saying HOORAY!!!SEQUEL!!! over.

9. spiderLAW

BTW, who is the artist for the banner? The image has some resemblance of Joe Madureira’s work.

10. Alakratt

i could swear (at another site) that Bethesda said PC and consoleS. yes, plural, and no, it ain’t the Wii.

11. Hunam

The original (which is mentioned in the article) didn’t come out on the PS3.

Learn to read noobs :P

12. Alakratt

noobs? People are asking about THIS one NOT the first one. I know the first one didn’t come to the PS3, but that doesn’t mean the sequel can’t. Don’t Dead Rising 2 and Mass Effect 2 ring any bells? Hmmm yeah…so who’s the noob again? And oh yeah, here’s my source: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/14/prey-2/

BTW the press release included in my link SAYS THAT THERE IS A PS3 VERSION! I know it was a mistake by Johny but some people here can’t stand the words “PS3 version” LOL too bad! and before anyone starts talking crap I have both systems!

13. Hunam

But no one said it wasn’t coming to the PS3, Johnny never mentioned platforms for the second one and no one else said it wasn’t, in fact if you read the article you’ll notice that PSM3 is cited and is such a PS3 magazine meaning it’ll come to PS3.

I merely pointed out to you and Taylis (who I assume just scanned the article) that the platforms mentioned in the article are about the first game. You can go on a big tirade all you like, but no where on this page does the game say it’s not coming on PS3.

14. AHA-Lambda

psst…guys

ROFLMFAOXD

15. Alakratt

Fair enough, Taylis seems like he scanned the article but didn’t say a word about the original, just that he thought the second one wasn’t coming to the PS3. And his comment about Bethesda, I have to admit, makes since, I mean all that timed exclusive DLC, pathetic I know, but still, too much MS ass kissing. For what? For nothing…because it ends up on the PC and PS3. What bothered me is calling him or me or us, noobs…kinda came out outta nowhere.