Labour MP blames shooting in Sweden on Counter-Strike

Thursday, 18th November 2010 00:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

facepalm

Another day, another politician blaming someone’s murderous tendencies on a videogame. It never seems to end.

According to Labour MP Keith Vaz, the shootings in Malmo, Sweden can be blamed on the offender being “associated” with Counter-Strike, reports GI.biz.

Vaz, blaming the death of one and attempted murder of 15 others by a 38-year-old man involved in a “year-long campaign of violence against dark-skinned Swedes”, places the blame on Valve’s FPS instead of someone harboring hatred and obvious mental issues.

“The recent race shootings in Malmo, Sweden have been associated with the violent video game Counter-Strike,” he told parliament, requesting it “further note that the internet-based, first-person shooting game that pits a counter-terrorist team against terrorists was previously banned in Brazil and in 2007 was associated with US College Campus massacres.”

This is despite the culprit’s father saying the shooter “lived in fear of immigrants taking over society”.

Vaz then called upon parliament to “ensure the purchase of video games by those under 18 years is controlled and that parents are provided with clear information on the violent content of certain games.”

The US Colleges he was referring to, of course, are Virginia Tech and Northern Iowa University where shootings took place by sickos and, once again, blamed on Counter-Strike by those whose agenda is fueled by hatred of “violent videogames”.

Apparently, Vaz was all worked up over a Times article which has a local man quoted as saying:  “I am sure that this is down to some crazy kid who plays that sniping game Counter-Strike all day. I don’t believe in the lone Nazi theory.”

Local police have yet to mention videogames as a reason for the shooter’s twisted behavior.

1. Anders

Bullshit. The guy was mental and hated immigrants, that’s all there is to it. Xenophobia is becoming pretty widespread in Sweden, I’m afraid.

2. SlayerGT

The guy was 38…and his father knew he had a prob. I don’t understand why its “games” fault.

3. David Sarkisjan

Oh come come! Not this again. In this case, it sounds even more stupendous.

4. The_Deleted

There’s an interesting piece in 360 Gamer this month about a woman who shook her baby to death playing while she was immersed in a game.
    That games was Farmville.

5. Vapsyvox

I live in sweden and i must say that there aren’t words enough to express the stupidity in keith vaz’ statement.
    To blame a game for something that has existed for more than 20 years?
    did he even care to research the name “the laserman”?

6. DarkElfa

Wow, I wonder what caused all those shootings before Video games?

7. Phoenixblight

Movies before that radio
    before that books
    before that stick figures in a cave

8. LOLshock94

yeah right. next we will find out that star fox caused raoul moats killings

9. tdrules

Rock n Roll
    Elvis Presley
    THOSE GOD DANG COMMIES

the list goes on.

10. freedoms_stain

@6, dominos.

See when some FUCK puts down a SIX when I need a FOUR, I go get me my friggin GUN!

11. DarkElfa

Religion is ACTUALLY still responsible for more than half the violent deaths in the world and yet you still don’t see MP’s screaming for that ban.

12. DaMan

Josef Stalin already did that ages ago, the results were impressive.

I like how people act as if these guys give a crap. they just need something to pimp their party/career.

13. Freek

Was the guy running around with a knife and then shooting people with a high powered sniper rifle from the hip, not using the scope?

14. Zurtech

*sigh* Not this again. Vaz does realise that the games in the UK still get BBFC certificates on them same as films, and they recognised by law. Meaning, 1) if a kid buys a 12, 15 or 18 certificate game the shop is held responsible and could get fined, closed or the employee fired, and 2) if a parent buys it for their kid they’re at fault.

It’s been that was since the 90s. Really wish they’d not allowed scared technophobes into places of power cos they just abuse it for their own purpose.

Oh and love the pic Steph. -_^

15. Yoshi

@11 I wonder if I went and killed loads of people then blamed it on religion, what would they do? Most likely twist my words to blame it on videogames or make me racist.

Totally agree with the picture… *facepalm*

16. endgame

“Religion is ACTUALLY still responsible for more than half the violent deaths in the world” exactly!

btw Steph that photo is awesome! :D

17. OrbitMonkey

^No religion is not to blame. It is simply the most used scapegoat. For example The Crusades wasn’t about faith. It was about European leaders wanting control of lucrative trading routes through the middle east. Using religion as a scapegoat is as mistaken as blaming videogames.

18. DarkElfa

^Don’t do drugs Orbit.

19. DaMan

can we please not use stories such as this for personal ignorant atheistic bullshit agendas? thanks.

20. Johnny Cullen

You know what Keith? I’m going to go and start shooting up my old school, kill some peeps and then turn the gun on myself?

And guess what? I DON’T PLAY Counter Strike.

*sarcasm*

21. OrbitMonkey

@18 Rational thought & recognition of humanities flaws & drives should be the cornerstone of any free thinking atheist/agnostic persons belief. Mindless scapegoating is not progress.
    P.s. Just cigarettes & alcohol for me dear boy :D