Fourth Fallout: New Vegas dev diary details faction relations

Thursday, 7th October 2010 17:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

falloutnewvegas

Bethesda has released a fourth developer diary for Fallout: New Vegas, and in this one, the development team talks about factions in the game.

Obsidian has said before, and in this video, it didn’t want factions in the game to be black and white but, a lovely shade of gray.

Smaller factions will also come into play, and how you deal with each one determines how you are received in different areas of the Mojave wasteland.

If you missed out on the previous developer diaries, get caught up on each here, here, and here.

Fallout: New Vegas releases on October 19 in the US and October 22 in the UK for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

PC specs can be found here.

1. Gekidami

Its hard to go with the “factions arent black & white” idea when the guy later makes Caesars Legion sound so evil compared to the NCR.

2. YoungZer0

Hm, what about the BOS and the Enslaved?

Can’t believe it’s going to be out this month. We really haven’t seen a lot of it. Wonder if that’s good or bad.

3. Dralen

It’s not very nice to look at is it?

4. Gekidami

The BOS are in the game but they’re apparently nearly wiped-out by the NCR. Enclave on the other hand dont exist anymore, atleast not on the west coast.

5. DSB

True Geki.

The plot really doesn’t seem very Fallout. It’s just another predictable tale of liberating people from corruption. That’s like the sort of thing you might put into a single location in the old Fallouts – Not base a game on.

I generally don’t judge a game by what’s under the hood, but man, that engine hasn’t gotten any prettier.

6. YoungZer0

@4: But i saw the oldschool enclave armor from the second Fallout in a screenshot.

7. Gekidami

^ Its set in a few locations you could visit in the older games where the Enclave was, you can probably find one of thir power armours but right now it seems pretty clear that the Enclave wont appear as a faction.

8. Moonwalker1982

Basically what Obsidian did sounds rather easy and doesn’t sound like much. They use the engine Bethesda made themselves. The gameworld itself looks straight out of F3. They basically took all of that over. They just put new buildings,characters and quests in it, that’s it, right? I don’t know, so far i kinda miss something that shows ‘it’s Obsidian’s touch’.

9. YoungZer0

You mean like character and quests? It’s nothing new that Obsidian takes something and just uses the tools it has to develop something different. The reason why the wasteland looks exactly like the one we know from F3 is because F3 took most of their inspiration from the previous Fallout’s. Wasteland just looks the same no matter where you go.

@7: Would still be awesome if you could encounter survivors of the Enclave who just try to come by.

10. Suikoden Fan

i dunno why but this game just isn’t really getting my attention

11. Moonwalker1982

Yeah i know, but i don’t know man…it misses their touch. It lacks something that shows this is ‘their’ games.

12. YoungZer0

I know. I have the same feeling. But for me, it’s because i still haven’t seen much of the gameplay. I think all the doubts will disappear when i play it.

13. itwa5me

Wow everybody seems to be feeling the same way here.

I agree it looks more like a massive DLC for fallout3. I actually just got 3 about a month ago and just finished it last night. Its my favorite game so far on PS3.

It seems like the industry is getting in a slump in the same way music and movies are with just reptetive sequels. Before games were selling tens of millions of units per pop games were so fresh and new. Infact before the late 90′s alomost every sequel was almost a new damn game compared to the originals.

Because Fallout 3 made such a impression on me I will buy this, but wouldnt be supriesed if I end up regretting it. I mean it looks EXACTLY the same. There has to be some huge gameplay element shift as thats one thing they are not showing at all.

crossing my fingers

I’m just super shocked that they didnt do a thing with the graphics. They are not the least bit impressive for a system like ps3. Fallout 3 had a TON of glitches, and almost every scorpion was stuck in the ground. The 3rd person shooter view also had lots of problems and it did not look like you were really running, more like gliding.

14. Phoenixblight

Its Obsidian they wouldn’t know the first thing about making their own engine.