UK charts – Mafia II holds top spot, Other M misses top ten

Monday, 6th September 2010 10:28 GMT By Johnny Cullen

mafiaII6

Mafia II’s held on to the top spot in the UK charts, it’s been announced this morning.

The 2K title held on despite a 23 percent sales drop from last week, as well as a challenge from Kane & Lynch 2, which landed at second.

Wii Sports Resort made another challenge at the summit again, coming back at number three.

Toy Story 3 and Red Dead Redemption finished off the top five.

But there’s no room in the top ten from Metroid: Other M. The Team Ninja-developed title came in at 12.

Get the full top ten for the week ending September 4 below. Last week’s data is here.

uk charts

1. Gekidami

Ouch, poor show by Metroid there. Looks like being a Nintendo IP isnt enough to do well on Wii. Wonder how Kirby will do.

2. AHA-Lambda

didnt expect metroid to do well but thought it would do better than that =/

then again it might be a good thing that people arent embracing the apparent bastardisation of the metroid franchise

WAIT… hawx 2 is out!!?? O_o talk about a silent launch. And it looks like the uniform price drops have help the new PoP aswell.

3. Blerk

Not even top ten for Metroid? Ouch.

Quite why Ubi didn’t delay the 360 version of HAWX 2 as well, I have no idea. Seems bizarre to launch it a week earlier than the other two platforms, they’d have probably gotten into the top 5 with the PS3 version tagging along.

4. Hunam

When Nintendo can’t sell an action game on the Wii you know it’s not even worth trying to anymore.

5. Blerk

I can’t speak for anyone else, but they totally lost me as soon as the revealed what it was. The combination of Team Ninja and silly controls was a total turn-off, I have no intention of ever buying it. And I’ve liked most of the previous Metroids. :-|

6. Gekidami

I’m really interested in seeing how Kirby will do, whilst it does look like a really neat platformer, it has the disadvantage of not having “Mario” in its name.

Maybe Nintendo should have said that the ‘M’ in “Other M” stands for ‘Mario’…

7. Freek

@5, Yup. It has nothing to do with it being on Wii or that “mature” titles don’t work on that platform. The game simply does not look apealing at all.

8. DrDamn

The advert just makes it look awful too. It may be that there is a great game there, but they did their damnedest to hide it.

9. Dannybuoy

RIP Samus Aran: 1986-2010

10. Demotruk

Not surprised. There’s nothing magical about being Nintendo first party, they’re just usually top-notch games. When something crappy like Other M comes out, it disproves the myth that being Nintendo first party is a free pass at sales.

11. SOMI

Metroid other M would have been a better game if it was on the HD consoles.

12. Blerk

Somehow I doubt that.

13. DaMan

the fact that stuff like Sniper GW is there, but Metroid is nowhere to be found once again shows how it’s the finest games that sell good….

…WAIT, WHAT?

14. typeface

I dunno about sales. But I played it. Story’s nothing extraordinary, it’s not terrible either. But it was a fun weekend finishing the game (considering Sunday’s weather was awful to head out).
    The first hours are slow but the last is pretty nice. I’ve not finished the epilogue as yet but I know counting all the deaths/exploration I’ve done about 24hrs or so in the game.

I think what hurts Nintendo is actually a lack of demos. To be fair, if you’ve ‘played’ the game it isn’t bad. The one thing that’s annoying is the fixed camera but so many games have been given a pass about that so that’s hardly a big restrictive issue for most people.

I’d say instead of spending more advertising money, just give a trial for a few games that won’t sell. Plus the other thing that confused me was the rating. PEGI 16 for something that could easily be 12 makes little sense (there’s no profanity or nudity, just some slightly mature themes if any really. But nothing a 12 year old can’t deal with).

There are some bad mechanics as in how they’ve tried to make it tougher but all in all I could easily recommend this game (this coming from someone who buys a few Nintendo titles a year compared to other platforms).

15. The_Red

Ouch indeed but seriously, it was pretty predictable. Nintendo has done everything in its power to distance themselves from this rather dark game. They never fully support and advertise their darker games and only focus on lighter stuff (Mario, Party collections and such).

16. DrDamn

Lack of demos is a really big thing for Nintendo. Don’t understand it at all. It’s the console which really needs them too. I’d likely have bought plenty more Wii games if I could have had a chance to play them first.

17. Blerk

The trouble is, they’ve got no way of delivering them digitally – they’d probably still have to provide them on CD. Which would mean buying one of those horrible Nintendo magazines and having to hide it inside a copy of Razzle to avoid embarrassment at the till in WH Smith.

18. DrDamn

Why have they got no way of delivering them digitally? They’ve got an online store, you can play stuff off the SD Card. There really isn’t any excuse – even if it was just cover mounted DVDs – at least it’s out there.

19. locus2k1

Metroid OM is a pretty good game, even with the “unique” control system… it’s no Prime, but it echos the days of Super Metroid which is easy to pick up.

Some niggles though – Storyline is so-so atm… And the voice of Samus is annoying the hell out of me; it’s such a mono-toned voice.

But still, its an enjoyable game… It’s a shame that it hasn’t sold better then it has.

I wonder how its done in Japan and US.

It’s a shame Nintendo don’t have some sort of “Demo Kiosks” in game stores etc, where you could take an SD card and get copies of demos… or anything that allows demos really. It’s good to see you can do it for your DS via a Wii Channel, it just be even greater to have some sort of way of doing it for the Wii too. Reviews are great, but it’s always better (in my opinion) to be able to judge a game for yourself before you buy it.

20. onlineatron

Have Metroid on my shelf from LoveFilm.

Really want to play it and find out whether it’s really as divisive as people make out. The problem is I don’t own a Wii… Will have to wait until I can borrow my friends console to play it.

21. DarkElfa

Personally, I’m just so sick of Italian Mafia stereotypes in games and films, I just don’t want to play it.

22. Michael O’Connor

Metroid M is simply a great game, hands down. Surprised by its performance.

23. LOLshock94

@16 its nintendo u dont need an demo cause you know it will be awesome

24. Killerbee

Shame to see Metroid landing outside the top 10. Based on the first 5 hours or so I’ve played of it, it’s more than deserving of its place in the Metroid canon and whilst it’s no Prime admittedly, it’s still one of the best Wii games I’ve played this year. I can’t see that there’s much wrong with the camera or the controls. The story yes, could’ve been better but Metroid has always been about the exploration and puzzle solving more than plot and there it doesn’t disappoint. EG’s 8 is spot on I reckon.