EG source: GTA IV DLC on track for November

Thursday, 4th September 2008 12:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gtaiv26.jpg

According to a Eurogamer source, the 360-exclusive GTA IV DLC is still on track for a November release.

Not only that, but that story reckons the DLC will take the form of two 10-hour episodes. Blimey.

The piece comes after rumour had circled around a 2009 date for the content.

Take-Two has already said that the DLC will be delivered in its first 09 quarter, which runs from November to the end of January next year, but Microsoft has always maintained it will hit this autumn.

More through the link.

1. pjmaybe

As I said when we covered this news story, watch LIVE grind to a halt the day these packs hit.

2. patlike

Be funny if the huge majority of game-owners didn’t care, wouldn’t it? :P

3. Psychotext

As with most things, that’ll come down to advertising I reckon.

4. Blerk

How do you advertise DLC, though? Have we ever seen a TV ad for DLC? Could this be a first?

5. Psychotext

Wasn’t really thinking about TV ads, but yeah – would be interesting to see.

6. patlike

I can’t think of another marketing campaign for DLC.

I guess if they do push it hard – and I suppose they really will – there’ll be a big boost in sales of the original game. Funny if it was the Christmas number one.

7. Blerk

Imagine the confusion if they did advertise it on the telly! Thousands of people flooding into GAME expecting to be able to pick up a copy off the shelves and being told to go back home. Imagine how many PS3 owners they’ll have to say “sorry, but…” to.

Microsoft’s most expensive best-kept secret is the average GAME employee’s nightmare! :-D

8. No_PUDding

I think this franchises relevance will need more than some DLC to boost it.

But I have a crow prepared.

9. Psychotext

I don’t think you’ll need to be eating any crow. DLC isn’t going to change the relevance of anything… the question is how much it can sell.

10. Blerk

Why does its relevance need boosting? Wasn’t it the most popular and best-selling game in the world last week?

My guess is they’ll start advertising the full game again, with an added ‘now with downloadable content’ bit tacked onto the end of the advert. If the full game doesn’t make it back into the charts then I’m a lumberjack.

11. No_PUDding

Well yes it was, but it’s GTA…

And I can find it very eaily second hand now. And no one was talking about GTAIV how they used to talk about other GTA’s.

I was reading soemthign the other day, I can’t rememebr when, but the reason I might eat crow is becuase we haven’t seen a maisntream popular game such as GTAIV having a resurgence yet.

DLC could reinvent games relevance, becuase it’s such a predominant part of the industry now.

12. Blerk

Part of the reason I’m expecting a GTA resurgence is that it was clearly released at the wrong time. All the other GTAs were released in the run up to Christmas, when everyone’s talking about games and buying new consoles. And that’s equally the reason why I fully expect a second bout of GTA mania come the Christmas holidays, especially if the DLC actually arrives and brings it back into the limelight.

13. Psychotext

People are too busy buying Wiis to talk about GTA.

\o/

14. Whizzo

I wouldn’t be too surprised if a GOTY edition of the game gets a launch with the DLC already on the disc for those who haven’t bought it already and the DLC being advertised off the back of that.

I should imagine the revamped dashboard will keep people informed of when it’s due to arrive as well for existing 360 owners.

15. Blerk

You wouldn’t catch me buying a Wi… oh.

16. pjmaybe

What Blerk said. They’ll just re-run the original ads, with a timely drop-in tacked on the end.

Very surprised if there isn’t a gold edition, Whizzo – bound to happen innit.

As for WiiMania @ psychotext – you’re not kidding. My buddy at HMV just confirmed that most of his staff have bought a stack of ‘em with their last month’s pay (they get paid too much!) and will be sitting on ‘em, watching and waiting the same thing happen as has happened for the last 2 chrimbos.

17. Tonka

Are there no other bog standard run of the mill hard hitting blockbuster games comming out this christmas? What happened to that exclusive Splinter Cell game?

Gears 2, Shooter in space for SONY 2 etc etc are still coming are they not?

18. Blerk

Splinter Cell’s stuck in development hell. Testosterone shooters are still en-route.

19. Psychotext

pjmaybe: I think they’re probably onto a winner there. If you can rely on anything, it’s Nintendo’s ability to under supply hot items.

20. No_PUDding

You know Furby’s, Tamagochis and Pokemon lasted for 2 or 3 years.

Fad is still very much allowed for Wii. I hope.

21. Psychotext

fadlol

22. No_PUDding

fadlol indeed.

Wish it were still believeable.

23. Psychotext

24. Blerk

Yeah, it’s not like the Wii’s getting all the best games or anything. :-D

25. patlike

The last time I switched mine on was to play Lost Winds. Time before that was, um…

26. patlike

But no, it doesn’t matter. At all. It’s only the games that matter, man.

*flower/hair*

27. Newbie101

“Does it really worry you that much? Why do you care if Sony don’t win this console generation?”

No-one cares, I think some people just get bored when people say ‘MS will win this generation’ even through it is not a possibility of them doing so.

It will be closer but MS won’t sell more consoles than Sony.

28. Psychotext

We’re not talking about MS here Newbie, we’re talking about Nintendo and the Wii.

29. Newbie101

Ok, maybe you should have said;

“Does it really worry you that much? Why do you care if Sony don’t sell more PS3′s than the Nintendo sell of the Wii”

;D

30. Psychotext

The topic of conversation was pretty clear. It’s just your MS senses started tingling and you jumped in without reading properly.

31. Newbie101

/cant be bothered to argue with fanboys

/runs out of thread

32. Psychotext

Sweet. I’m back to being a fanboy again!

/polishes fanboy badge

33. patlike

Blimey.

34. Psychotext

That all aside, I’d be interested in seeing Pud’s response.

I really don’t think it’s going to make much of a difference to gaming on the HD consoles. Not this gen at least anyway. /o\

35. morriss

I’ll end up buying it again if the DLC is any good. Or just more fun and interesting than the original campaign.

36. No_PUDding

I am worried to be honest Psychotext, becuase as much as I can reassure myself there is a market for HD gaming, there is another market far more economical called the casual market.

Think about Smash Bros. Brawl, I wonder how much that took to develop in comparison to GTAIV which beat it’s sales only because it was on two platforms. It’s just a bit scary developers could realise they could reap the rewards a lot cheaper developing stuff that won’t cater for me. Selfishly.

By the way, I never mentioned Sony. Maybe your Sony senses started tingling, eh? Snap.

All in good taste.

37. Psychotext

You’re a Sony consumer No_Pud. I know you have a PS3 and “want to see MS in a ditch” so it’s not that hard to guess which HD console you’re concerned about. :)

38. No_PUDding

Total misquote. The ditch was proabably a bad point to bring up since my anolgies are screwed up at the best of times. :D

By that I meant I don’t hold Microsoft in the same regard as Nintendo and Sony. I don’t want to see them in a ditch.

But besides that technicality that you are totally right.

39. Panipal2005

@ No PUDding

“And I can find it very eaily second hand now.”

Ha ha, what you don’t know is the second hand suppliers might just jack the prices up when the DLC hits.

I’m torn between between getting it now, or sometime in 2009 because let’s face it, there’s so much coming out October/November it’s not like I can’t stave off the urge to go get an Xbox version (I got the PS3 version but yes I would actually consider picking up an Xbox version too depending on what this DLC was actually like. No fanboy I)