Fallout director: “there’s interesting potential for an online version”

Friday, 25th July 2014 10:53 GMT By Matt Martin

Fallout: New Vegas director Josh Sawyer has said he’d like to return to the series and he sees potential in an MMO based on the franchise.

falloutnewvegas

“Personally, I think there are some interesting things that could happen with Fallout in an MMO environment,” he told IGN.

“There are some folks who kind of cobbled together all the Fallout 2 resources into kind of a makeshift MMO, made by fans. It was pretty cool but insane. It’s like if you take all of the most brutal aspects of Ultima Online and multiply them by five, you have that game.

“So I think there’s interesting potential for an online version of Fallout.”

Obsidian may be a Californian studio, but Sawyer said he and some of his co-workers had chatted about entirely different locations for the series.

“I like doing stuff on the West coast because we’re close by, and that’s kind of been a tradition for the West coast developers of that stuff.

“I think going back to the Boneyard, LA, would be pretty cool but another area that I think Nathanial Chapman who used to work at Obsidian, he thought New Orleans would be a really cool setting for a Fallout game and I think that’d be really cool as well.”

Publisher Bethesda has been quiet with regards to Fallout for some time, but it’s a company known to take its time with its own properties, particularly one that’s been embroiled in ridiculous legal problems.

So for now, let’s take a look at some hot Fallout 3 mods and relive the glory.

1. bradk825

Get ready for “Fallout Online” where you buy the game for $60 then pay $15/month to play it. YAAAAAY.

#1 3 months ago
  2. TheWulf

I’d rather a co-op experience, honestly. Divinity: Original Sin has done a bit to show me the value of co-op RPGs. And I’ve always liked co-op games anyway, plus, Uru was kind of a weird co-op RPG, just with puzzles instead of stats. I think I’d just like to explore these strange places with a close friend, or two.

I’ve come to the realisation that MMOs are a very extroverted thing. They may do things that I like, like science-fantasy, or beast/robot races, or whatnot, but they’re a very extroverted past-time. They’re designed to be addictive, because way, way too many extroverts I know love gambling things on Facebook and on their mobile, or even visiting casinos (ugh). And they’re designed to make you need large groups of other people (raids).

I don’t want that. I want the interesting settings, but I don’t want the MMO. I want things to be more like Uru, where I can have the genuinely interesting setting, but without being people-spammed. Uru is like Guild Wars in that there’s a lobby, but once you start exploring, it’s just you and your close friends. In fact, some of my friends just weren’t intelligent enough for Uru, the puzzles did them in, so the group whittled down to the smartest.

Myst is very much survival of the smartest.

So, I’d like more of that. Just me, and a friend or three who’d appreciate what we’re doing. And that’s it. That’s all I need.

#2 3 months ago
  3. boskoz

@bradk825 …aaaaand I said it from the first day Elders Scroll Online was announced.
    It is obvious they will proceed now with Fallout.

They will shit on another of my favorite franchise just for the MONHAY, again.

#3 3 months ago
  4. NotPanthro

As long as it isnt ruined by a pc version it could be amazing

#4 3 months ago
  5. boskoz

@TheWulf, yeah, a fine coop is the best way to enjoy a game.

Bought Boirderlands 2 for 7bucks at the last steamsale with a mate, well, best 40 hours ever ^^
    We are waiting for Divinity: Original Sin though, because I read everywhere that the actual NPC dialogues are crap, only the host can properly read them. Waiting a fix honestly before buying.

#5 3 months ago
  6. The_Red

Sorry but no.
    No MP.
    No co-op.
    No bullshit.

Fallout is about survival in a post nuclear world full of hard choices, interesting characters and tense (turn-based) battles.
    Bethesda already ruined 99 percent of that with Fallout 3 and even though I liked Sawyer and Obsidian’s work on Fallout NV, I don’t think online or any of that crap is the way to go.

#6 3 months ago
  7. boskoz

I see nothing wrong in a proper singleplayer game like the previous 2 chapters, plus an OPTIONAL two players coop.
    You already have the companion, anyway.

MMO is bullshit.