Yoshida weighs up Sony’s PS4 line-up versus Microsoft’s Xbox One slate

Wednesday, 9th July 2014 11:42 GMT By Dave Cook

PlayStation 4 had a solid showing at E3 2014, but many gamers and critics out there were impressed by Microsoft’s TV, entertainment and suit jacket-less conference. Sony president of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida has commented on the PS4′s current slate, and what’s on the horizon.

shuyoshidasonyboss

Speaking with Eurogamer, Yoshida was asked to comment on how he felt Sony’s line-up compared to Microsoft’s.

“Very well, very very well,” he began. “Games like Destiny coming out, The Last of Us HD, it’s a new game to play for people who didn’t play on PS3. One amazing statistic, to me at least, was published by Nielsen a couple of months ago. They researched the PS4, and reported that 17 per cent of PS4 owners had never owned the last gen. A completely new consumer who skipped a generation. 32 per cent additionally didn’t own a PS3, but owned a 360 or Wii.

“Almost 50 per cent of people who have purchased a PS4 didn’t own a PS3, and that’s lots of people that missed exclusive PS3 titles like The Last of Us, so it’s a great way to welcome those people back to PlayStation, saying this is what you missed.”

Yoshida stressed that games like The Last of Us: Remastered are a good way of getting Sony’s new customers up to speed with the PS3 back catalogue, and suggested that the Uncharted series could be a good candidate for a similar remastered release.

Specifically, he said, “”here are requests from some consumers for games that were released later in the generation, like Uncharted, which people might have missed. That would be a good candidate. We don’t want to flood the market with remade games either.”

What do you make of the PS4 slate so far? Let us know below.

1. TheWulf

>_>

Microsoft: We had a great showing at E3!
    Sony: E3 doesn’t matter to the majority of people. Here are some sales figures.

Oh console war.

My toy car is better because my friends like it.
    Well, my toy car is better because it’s statistically superior!
    Nyeh!
    Nyehhh!

#1 6 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

Yeah the ball is in MS’s court, exclusive wise. But that doesn’t matter for a very good reason, momentum is still on their side (not the reason). It depends on how they approach it (again that isn’t it either).

Early next year is entirely different, similar to this year the ball is once again in Sony’s hands ATM.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Mike W

@TheWulf

Huh??

I’m sorry, but what point are you trying to make?

#3 6 months ago
  4. OrbitMonkey

Well you could argue the WiiU has the best console exclusive line-up… if your still in nappies!

Between Sony/Ms though… Bit tougher to call really. Third party support will be going fir console parity, so that just leaves the exclusives…

Really not much in it.

#4 6 months ago
  5. LovesALLformats

Remake a year old game…Sony needs $ bottom line

#5 6 months ago
  6. Mike W

@LovesALLformats

Sigh….you can’t help can you?

#6 6 months ago
  7. Obernox

That has to be a record for shortest post by TheWulf.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Homer2014

where is the difference between sony and microsoft?
    MS
    Forza Horizon 2
    Halo The Master Chief Collection
    Sunset Overdrive

Sony
    Driveclub
    LittleBigPlanet 3
    The Last of US Remastered

preferences are subjective

#8 6 months ago
  9. Homer2014

@LovesALLformats

remake 13 years old, 10 years old, 7 years old and 2 years old games…

#9 6 months ago
  10. ManuOtaku

For me as owner of the 3 consoles, i think between microsoft and sony at the moment is pretty even in quantity of titles, and in diversity as well, whih is a surprise in the microsoft side of things, were it tends to be more shooters than anything else. Although this might change in the future, but i believe microsoft under the new gaming leader, will take the neccesary actions to close the gap.

Also, i do agree with orbitmonkey, nintendo offerings are great on this department, at the moment even better than the other two.

#10 6 months ago
  11. OmegaSlayer

Meh…
    I’m constantly annoying Sony executives via twitter because as a long time customer and a stylish hack’n'slash fan I feel left behind.
    Devil May Cry was the reason I got a PS2 and Devil May Cry 4 was the reason I got a PS3 (I actually purchased DMC4 a week before getting the PS3).
    Where’s my reason to get a PS4?
    As much as I find some upcoming games appealing (The Witcher 3 for example), I don’t feel cuddled by Sony.
    Not having a Platinum games on PS4 is a disgrace imho.
    I purchase one console per cycle because of time and money, and this time Sony’s hardware is not cutting it for me.
    So…remasters yes, Platinum Games not… (Korra is a downloadable game, so it doesn’t count)

#11 6 months ago
  12. kingy

I’m a bit bored of my ps4 to be honest so I’ve bought a wii u and Xbox one mariocart 8 and Titanfall are filling the gaps of boredom so I personally think they need to pull there fingers out ..I’m pritty sure I would feel the same if I had bought one of the other consoles first though , they all need to start releasing more software

#12 6 months ago
  13. Legendaryboss

Platform thats been out longer than the other two has more exclusives… Well who would have thought? Which makes the situation its in all the more worse.

Don’t forget Project Spark & Singstar… Oh dear god i can’t believe i mentioned those! … Now that i think about it they are equal.

Um isn’t that more to do with Capcom than Sony? In any case you know what you must do.

#13 6 months ago
  14. Mike W

@OmegaSlayer

I hear you man, I wish the old Devil May Cry will return. I actually thought Capcom was going refresh the series with Nero (his Devil arm was a beast), but the executives there thought it would be a good idea to reboot the series to what we have now, which did not work out in their favor.

I hope Sony works out something with Platinum Games to bring some new IP over to the PS4, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen anytime soon.

#14 6 months ago
  15. gomersoul

Knack is hack and slash, not quite the caliber you’re after, but still… Dmc will come, what it will be like is another question altogether

#15 6 months ago
  16. Arcnail

So he was asked about the game line up and mentions a game that’s also running on the Xbox1 and a PS3 remake (albeit a good game)…

You sure convinced me buddy..

#16 6 months ago
  17. Hcw87

My thoughts exactly. MS has the strongest lineup this year by far.

#17 6 months ago
  18. Clupula

I think Sony has a far stronger lineup of exclusives than Microsoft, but I say that as someone for whom Halo has never held any interest (nor Destiny, for that matter) and who doesn’t like racing games. For someone into more mainstream FPS fare, MS would have a better lineup.

But while I would sure love to play Scalebound, there’s not a single other title on the XB1 that interests me, while I’m super excited to play Bloodbourne, Uncharted 4, and may have to skip on LBP3 just as I skipped on LBP2: because I just don’t have time to dedicate my life to that game the way I know I did with LBP1.

Not to mention, all the Japanese RPG’s that various Japanese developers say they’re making.

That said, neither system holds a candle right now to the PS3 lineup, but this early in their lifetime, I wouldn’t expect either to.

#18 6 months ago
  19. Jbumi

The one thing I’ve been waiting for (for multiple generations now) is a re-release of Suikoden II on PSN. PLEASE, Sony, put it up!!!

#19 6 months ago
  20. majormayhem70

Some of y’all actually think that the remake of The Last if Us is on par with the Master Chief Collection?!? Wow. Smh…

#20 6 months ago
  21. Untold stories

I think your going to have to change the title. He only mentioned two games within the whole article and focused on statistics.

#21 6 months ago
  22. Untold stories

@majormayhem70 nobody mentioned that. Please stay out it.

#22 6 months ago
  23. Mike W

@majormayhem70

Why compare either? All the titles are updates from their previous versions…..It was common sense for MS to update the visuals and cinematics for Halo 1 and 2 seeing how those titles were on the original Xbox……..so I fail to see the point you’re trying to make.

Is there new information out there that we don’t know about that MS is also revamping the visuals of Halo 3 and 4? Or are they just boosting the framerate and resolution for those titles?

#23 6 months ago
  24. fearmonkey

I’m part of that 32% that didn’t own a PS3 so I am actually very happy about The Last of us Remastered. I’m happy with my PS4, and I’m happy that Xbox One will get the Master Chief Collection and Sunset Overdrive, as I’ll eventually get an Xbone.

Most of the games I am excited about are third party games and they will mostly look and play better on PS4. Some great games coming to the PC as well, lots to look forward to.

#24 6 months ago
  25. Mike W

@Hcw87

I think MS has Sony beat when it comes to indies department this year, unless Sony announces something new coming out for PS4 this year at Gamescom (but I’ll doubt it).

But as far as exclusive titles goes from its “first party” camp, it’s just as dry as Sony’s. We have Halo and Forza and the rest is coming from independent developers (Insomniac) and third party developers.

So I failed to see what you are talking about, that MS has the “strongest line up this year by far”.

Am I missing something?

#25 6 months ago
  26. majormayhem70

@Untold stories Mmmmm, nah idioso. I come n go as I please. Read between the lines.

#26 6 months ago
  27. majormayhem70

Just phucking with y’all. I do think the Halo collection edges out whatever is coming out for the ps4

#27 6 months ago
  28. Savan

The presentation of the console’s lineup entirely depends on the person looking at it, honestly I couldn’t care less about the XboxOne’s shooter exclusives, I’m not saying that it’s a worse lineup, it just doesn’t suit me as a gamer. I’m feeling more suited towards the PS4 at the time, with exclusives like Bloodborne and Little Big Planet 3… Maybe a little No Man’s Sky too.

#28 6 months ago
  29. OmegaSlayer

@Mike W exactly
    Platinum games, like 95% of Japanese titles are “AA” titles at best if we consider the production costs and I’m dead sure that getting an exclusive title from Platinum costs less than the moneyhat to have Battlefield and Far Cry DLC exclusive for a month.
    I’m sure making The Wonderful 101 costed less than getting those DLC.

Look…
    And everyone knows how BIG The Witcher 2 is.

Now remember…
    Microsoft paid $ 50 million to have exclusive content.

This exclusive content war is killing AA gaming

#29 6 months ago
  30. Seventizz

Sony still riding that marketing train.

Sadly, gamers aren’t very savvy and it’s working.

#30 6 months ago
  31. zoopdeloop

@Homer2014
    exactly
    in this case they both have poor line ups
    Last Of Us in only one year old(whoever really wanted to play it,did one way or the other)and Sunset Overdrive is well…for the majority just what Knack was for ps4 …irrelevant (wait till you see how badly scores).
    But what matters most is their line up in the long run.We already know Sony comes first by a long shot when it comes to the number of 1st and 2nd party development teams

#31 6 months ago
  32. antraxsuicide

@zoopdeloop
    Actually, MS has more 1st party studios than Sony does at the moment. Sony had to close several studios last generation, and MS has opened a ton of new ones specifically for X1 development. Said studios have not released (or even announced) their projects yet. So it may very well be a good fight from MS on the 1st party front.

#32 6 months ago
  33. zoopdeloop

@antraxsuicide
    Only if you count those that only work on the mobile and PC market and some of them that don’t even produce games
    nontheless a lot of the projects made from most of their party will still be lower budget, motion gaming peripheral based on Arcade titles.(just because Kinect became optional doesn’t mean they won’t support it)
    So yeah not a lot of AAA there compared to what Sony’s or Nintendo’s studios can produce

#33 6 months ago
  34. derpex

PS4 has many great AAA games that gamers love. That’s why it’s 8.5+ million in sales and growing. Sony’s large number of well funded 1st parties will ensure PS4 has a ton of great AAA exclusives, as many or more than PS3.

1st/2nd party studios include Japan Studio, Polyphony Digital, Naughty Dog, SCE Bend, SCE San Diego, SCE Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Pixel Opus, Evolution Studios, Guerrilla Games, Guerrilla Cambridge, SCE London, Media Molecule, Ready at Dawn, Quantic Dream, etc.

For some reason PS4 keeps selling like hotcakes despite attempts to downplay its library. All 3 consoles have good exclusive games, it’s only fanboys trying to trash one or the other and pretend it has “no gaems lolol”.

Some of the AAA PS3 2013 exclusives: Beyond Two Souls, The Last of Us, Puppeteer, God of War: Ascension
    Gran Turismo 6, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (not 1st party), Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus. Expect a similar level of long term PS4 support with tons of 1st party games.

PS4/Sony exclusives Jun-Dec: The Last of Us Remastered, Driveclub, LittleBigPlanet 3, Infamous: First Light, Samurai Warriors 4, Natural Doctrine, Guilty Gear Xrd, Singstar, Resogun DLC, and lots of indies.

PS4 has 36+ AAA games from July to December 2014, or 6 per month. Most of those are multiplatform but there’s no shortage of AAA games for PS4 owners.

PS4/Sony exclusives 2015 (announced): Bloodborne, The Order, Ratchet & Clank Remastered, Uncharted 4, Let It Die, Deep Down, and lots of indies.

PS4 AAA games from July-Dec 2014: The Last of Us Remastered, Driveclub, LittleBigPlanet 3, Infamous: First Light, Samurai Warriors 4, Guilty Gear Xrd Sign, Singstar, Sniper Elite III, Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, Madden NFL 15, Metro: Redux, Destiny, NHL 15, FIFA 15, Alien: Isolation, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, Grand Theft Auto V, NBA 2K15, NBA Live 15, Battlefield: Hardline, Evolve, Just Dance 2015, The Evil Within, Assassin’s Creed Unity, WWE 2K15, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, The Crew, Far Cry 4, Lords of the Fallen, Shadow Warrior, Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments, LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, The Legend of Korra, Project Cars, etc. Plus a truckload of indies.

#34 6 months ago
  35. RingTrainer

It’s funny how last E3, Sony fans criticized Nintendo releasing Zelda Windwaker HD because it was just a remake. They also criticized Microsoft for talking about TV in their conference and not focusing on games only. This E3 Sony talks about TV and introduces Last of Us HD (I guess the original was not HD???) and does not really show anything game wise that we haven’t already seen.

For me, this NEXT generation has been disappointing. I’m glad I didn’t jump on the hype.

#35 6 months ago
  36. Panthro

@RingTrainer

All in all, both shit.

The hype never gets lived up to, xbox and playstation are all talk and no game.

#36 6 months ago
  37. RingTrainer

@Panthro

True.

Believe it or not, I’ve been really interested with the Wii U recently. I can list quite a few games I’m interested in. I tend to really enjoy Nintendo games (although the Wii was some what of a let down). It might also be because I have a daughter on the way :D

#37 6 months ago