Minecraft has sold more on consoles than PC and Mac

Wednesday, 25th June 2014 21:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Mojang has announced the Minecraft units sales for the console editions have surpassed sales of the Mac and PC versions.

Across all platforms almost 54 million copies have been sold.

Wow.

Expect the number to grow even more when the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 editions are released in August.

1. yeoung

Beyond impressive.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Rat

waiting for the Vita version

#2 3 months ago
  3. psxman

“Wow.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Obernox

Goddamn.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Obernox

“Expect the number to grow even more when the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 editions are released in August”

AND VITA, STEPH >:(

#5 3 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I can understand the PC sales dropping off. After many promises, Mojang has done very, very little with advancing Minecraft. Instead, they’ve been focusing on polishing the console versions to bring them slowly up to speed with what the PC version has had for yonks, now.

But, honestly, my favourite period of Minecraft was back when it was creative mode. And you could magrail a cart into space. I miss that. :C That was something that really killed Minecraft for me. I loved creating constantly accelerating minecarts in Minecraft, and people loved riding them. Sure, it crashed the server every now and then, but it was fun damn it! And that’s what Minecraft has lost sight of. Fun.

I liked it when it was more about creating crazy things rather than killing zombies, but the more they’ve done with it to make it a bland survival horror game, the less people have been releasing videos about the crazy stuff they made. The thing of it is is that in turning it into a combat game, they had to lock loads of things down, for ‘balance’ reasons. And these inexplicably apply to creative mode.

The nice thing of the PC, of course, is that the old clients still exist, archived away. I should really dig one out, pull a bunch of people into a server, and create a rollercoaster magrail again. I really want to do that, now.

I love rollercoaster magrails.

I mean, you haven’t played Minecraft until you’ve been on one. You just haven’t. When you get launched so far that the server can’t load fast enough to keep up.

So, yeah, if anything… this has made me nostalgic.

Contemporary Minecraft is a bit crap, though. Some halfway point between horrendously nerfed creative mode, and an adventure mode that never happened. Notch doesn’t owe us anything, and we shouldn’t be entitled prats to think that he does, it’s just that the game as it stands isn’t that great. It was great. Less so now, so sometimes adding ‘content’ is a bad thing.

As it stands, versus contemporary Minecraft, I find Starbound to be a more compelling experience.

#6 3 months ago
  7. TheWulf

Also, rollercoaster jumps! Man. I remember those. I can’t help talking about this because it bothers me how boring Minecraft has become with the nerfs. It used to be (around 1.5?) that you could use powered tracks not only to magrail, but to create jumps!

I remember one rollercoaster I made had a bunch of jumps, two of them landed underwater, and the propulsion dragged them toward underwater tracks! They’d continue along the sea bed for a while, until UP! UP! AND AWAY! Magrailing from underwater was awesome.

I miss it.

#7 3 months ago
  8. OrbitMonkey

I think its funny funny that some early adopters think they played the “true” Minecraft, when comparing it to the game now.

Bless.

#8 3 months ago
  9. WARRILAD

What is TheWulf saying at all, uttter rubbish. Oh and Mojang have not been polishing the console version as its not them developing it, its 4jStudios.

#9 3 months ago
  10. Gekidami

Console gaming is dead though, right? Rise of the PC?

#10 3 months ago
  11. Gheritt White

This article is lies. We all know that nobody plays games on consoles anymore. PC master race and all that.

#11 3 months ago
  12. salarta

@Gheritt White Consoles are secretly PCs anyway, everyone plays PC games!

#12 3 months ago
  13. Panthro

@Gheritt White

Its hilarious how much of a prick you have became lately, seems like all you do at the moment is comment utter turd trying to provoke people.

Also, if your going to post sarcastic comments trying to make yourself feel funny at least try a bit harder and post something a bit more creative, people like you post the same shit to often, its tiring.

#13 3 months ago
  14. Panthro

PC master race vs console peasant arguments can sometimes be hilarious, it’s sad to see people with no creativity adding into the ‘war’ while only repeating what has already been said one hundred thousand times…

Sort of ruins the fun in it all.

#14 3 months ago
  15. Legendaryboss

Beasting – Minecraft style.

#15 3 months ago