Can The Witcher steal Skyrim’s RPG crown?

Monday, 23rd June 2014 15:30 GMT By Matt Martin

Yes, is the short answer. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt looks like it’s an RPG you can lose hours and hours in, says Matt Martin.

the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_e3_2014_18

If there’s one thing I love about The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – and Oblivion before it – it’s the sense of exploration and the ability to get lost in a rich fantasy world. I haven’t completed either game yet, but I’ve put in around 200 hours combined. I may not have been too bothered with the central storyline (fight the dragons, stop hell from invading the land, or whatever), but I’ve never been bored of meeting weird characters, running errands for murderers and saving strangers from cruel death in a dungeon I had no idea existed hours earlier.

Now, after two splendid linear entries from CD Projekt, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is taking the next step for any role-playing series by giving the player a non-linear open-world to explore. From what I’ve seen so far of the game, I have a lot of faith that The Witcher 3 is going in the right direction. Here’s seven reasons why I think it’s going to be one of the biggest games of 2015.

Cities feel like communities

the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_e3_2014_26

Novigrad is the largest city on the map, with CD Projekt claiming there are some 7,000 inhabitants. From a casual tour of its streets I can see it’s also clearly split into distinct districts. It looks almost organic in its growth in that there isn’t clear planning to each area, and the pubs, warehouses, temples, brothels and houses have sprung up as its inhabitants have grown. It feels like a real community here to, with fishermen going out to sea in the early hours, buskers playing for coins, children running through the streets and haggling merchants looking for trade. They are also said to react to the time of day and weather, although I toured the city during a sunny day, drinking in the lively atmosphere and didn’t see any particularly radical changes.

Novigrad is a place for main character Geralt to keep his wits about him, resupply, learn about the world and pick up quests, rather than run around swinging his sword. When I think of games that have created a successful city and surrounding areas full of a lively community – Mass Effect’s Citadel, Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag, Grand Theft Auto V’s Los Santos – The Witcher 3 easily holds a candle to those.

It’s bringing PC beauty to consoles at last

the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_e3_2014_17

The Witcher 3 was one of the most visually impressive games I saw at E3 a couple of weeks ago, and that was during a week where I spoilt by good-looking games. There’s incredible detail in the game, from the ugly monsters and creatures that inhabit the world to the foliage and fauna. I’m not usually one for standing around and cooing over a sunset like a god-damn hippy, but the reflections in pools of water, the detail in the brickwork, the light cast across the map is something very special. Remind yourself of it with this Griffin Hunt sequence below.

It’s dark in tone and delivery

One of the strengths of The Witcher world is everyone’s a bit unpleasant and odd. This isn’t your usual tale of sneering orcs and brave-hearted knights. Characters in The Witcher 3 capture that nasty medieval vibe, where favours are paid for and everyone is essentially looking out for themselves. During my E3 demo I helped out Johnny, a fairly wretched Golem-like godling who had lost his voice. When he did get it back he proceeded to tell me his favourite part of the day is emptying his bowels in the morning. He introduced me to three old women depicted on a tapestry as beauties but who in reality were knacked, festering old crones. And so it goes, one disfigured character after another… these are the people that keep me coming back for more. It’s a very dark fairy tale world.

1. YoungZer0

But can you change your haircut, Matt? CAN YOU?! I want that undercut warrior haircut from the second one.

#1 3 months ago
  2. AmiralPatate

@YoungZer0
    I think you’Re losing the big picture here. The real question is can you steal the clothes of guards while they are still wearing them?

#2 3 months ago
  3. macronia

it already did ;)

#3 3 months ago
  4. Erthazus

Skyrim RPG crown? What?

Since when that crown went to Skyrim? Skyrim is not an RPG. Skyrim is a tourist simulator with consolized and streamlined RPG system where “RPG” genre is in question. The first thing for any RPG is a story, dialogs, characters and character progression, factions, reputation system and these things does not exist in Skyrim or exist in the most pathetic way compared to traditional RPG’s such as Witcher, Dragon Age, Baldurs Gate, Ice Wind Dale, Neverwinter nights 1-2 and etc.

Skyrim is an action adventure with RPG elements at best. You travel a lot. You gather loot. There are a lot of combat involved at some form and your character has no character progression except for characters skills which are basically “You press more that button you get XP points”.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Erthazus

oh and btw, GTAV have better rpg elements than Skyrim according to this article.

#5 3 months ago
  6. boskoz

I don’t give flying fucks about “RPG Crowns”…I love Skyrim, I will probably love this Witcher, I just need more games like these two and not just 1 per 2-3 years….which makes me incredibly sad panda.

More huge rpgs please! :D

#6 3 months ago
  7. Obernox

No. Not unless i can put buckets on peoples heads.

#7 3 months ago
  8. Moonwalker1982

@boskoz Exactly man. Who gives a shit if Skyrim wears that crown? All i know is i absolutely loved Skyrim, The Witcher 2 and i cannot wait for more games in the best gaming genre to arrive. RPG definitely is that for me. Bring on Dragon Age Inquisition and briiiiiing on The Witcher 3!

#8 3 months ago
  9. Judicas

Skyrim and RPG crown in the same sentence? BLASPHEMY!

#9 3 months ago
  10. fearmonkey

I own both the previous witcher games, they are good games, but I have never enjoyed the combat in them. It can’t replace skyrim because it’s a third person game, and Skyrim and the bethesda games are really meant to be played in First person. The Witcher 3 from articles and such seems to have more in common with the Gothic games than Skyrim.

I love TES games for the exploration, story is secondary, The Witcher series has thus far been more about the story.

#10 3 months ago
  11. OrbitMonkey

The test will be in how much of a buggy mess it is…

And I played all of Bethesda’s last gen rpg’s on a PS3, so I know all about buggy messes :)

#11 3 months ago
  12. Panthro

Skryim has the RPG crown? First I’ve heard.

#12 3 months ago
  13. Darkfield

Who gave Skyrim this imaginary RPG Crown in the first place? lol As I have said countless times Skyrim was a great game, but a very mediocre RPG.

#13 3 months ago
  14. DoubleM

“Skyrim’s RPG Crown”?! What?!
    (I think by commenting I’m fueling this clickbait articles, right?)

#14 3 months ago
  15. sebastien rivas

Can Halo steal Titanfall crown?
    Can Lego Star wars steal Star wars KOTOR crown?
    Can Wolfenstein steal Mass Effect crown?
    Can The Witcher steal Skyrim crown?

#15 3 months ago
  16. sebastien rivas

Btw I own both game franchise and live them both and both wear crowns per sequel

#16 3 months ago
  17. OrbitMonkey

Ladies please! You realise the Crown is passed down every few years right?

Forget your nostalgic wankfest on what was YOUR favorite rpg way back when who gives a fuck.

Skyrim has the Crown NOW… & Zelda will claim it next year :)

#17 3 months ago
  18. diggidy

Baldur’s gate II owns the rpg crown and always will! hahaha

#18 3 months ago
  19. Hcw87

Skyrim is currently the most popular RPG by _FAR_, so this headline makes all the sense in the world.

Name one RPG that is currently more popular than Skyrim. There is none.

>>>http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?l for Reference

Skyrim is an Open World RPG, even if it’s dumbed down compared to the previous games.

#19 3 months ago
  20. Moonwalker1982

The Witcher 2 was more of a linear RPG and Skyrim open world. The Witcher 3 going open world now is a big deal and i can’t wait to see if CDPR created a world full of interesting and detailed locations. Hopefully the towns feel alive and with a great atmosphere. I do expect something great.

#20 3 months ago
  21. Panthro

@Moonwalker1982

Not that I play it but World Of Warcraft.
    The Pokemon series is immensely bigger than Skyrim aswell, even though it is made for children.

If your going by popularity those two win by a massive margin.

#21 3 months ago
  22. Erthazus

@Hcw87 World Of Warcraft.

Popularity and who sold more copies – Pissing contest

#22 3 months ago
  23. Talkar

@Hcw87 Steam is NOT the definition of the PC gaming platform!

#23 3 months ago
  24. heyvc

For me… Witcher 2 already did that.

#24 3 months ago
  25. Reddpayn

@Panthro
    Well, i bet that skyrims community(youtube,modders,basic gamers) are more active than wows. Besides, skyrim has sold over 20mil and wows player count is now far lower than 10mil and ofcourse, its much older than skyrim :) . Pokemon on the other hand is decreasing in the sales and the newest hasnt sold as much as skyrim has. In the end wiw and pok arre also considered to be worse games according to reviewers.

#25 3 months ago
  26. Darkfield

Being popular doesn’t mean you’re better. It’s not a popularity contest when it comes to genre defining games. Skyrim wasn’t a great RPG, it was a great Action Adventure in open world setting. A great RPG is a different thing than a great game. A game might be a poor representation of its genre but can still be a great entertainment. And let’s face it a lot of these people haven’t even seen what a great RPG looks like, because if they do they run as fast as their legs carry them in a different direction because they wont be able to handle the sheer complexity of a true Role-Playing Game.

#26 3 months ago
  27. Bomba Luigi

For me the Elder Scrolls Games are the King, but thats personal preference. If you ask me why then I have to point my Finger at the Mod-Community, who is huge and is doing some great stuff.

But of course I Love the Witcher and CDPRed, but for other Reasons. And I play both Serires for diffrent reasons, its hard to compare. Witcher is much more about certain Characters and Stories for me, stuff I do care in TES, but its not Nr.1 on the priority List.

I’m sure I will play a lot Witcher, and I’m looking forward to see what the Modders are doing with the third one. But I think the Place to go to relax or being silly will still be Tamriel.

#27 3 months ago
  28. SlayerGT

For me it’s from Dragons Dogma. That pulled me away from Skyrim instantly. I just hope the combat is as fun as DD’s.

#28 3 months ago
  29. Panthro

@Reddpayn

You cannot compare ‘active players’ to copies sold.
    You either compare how many people have ever paid for a subscription vs how many copies sold or compare how many active players there are in each game, I would place my bet that World of Warcraft has a lot more active players and alot more copies/ subscriptions sold.

#29 3 months ago
  30. Shinji10TH

Skyrim was never an RPG to begin with, it was a 3D visit of some empty land that someone created out of boredom.

#30 3 months ago
  31. Reddpayn

@Panthro
    Youre right, but i consider it to be a less relevant title compared to skyrim, because its so old and not as “criticly acclaimed” as skyrim, atleast not anymore. Imo its feels “stupid” to claim that the king of the rpg`s in 2014 is a ten year old game, whilst there are newer and “modern” rpg’s, which fullfil the imaginary qualifications, to choose from. Atleast all of my friends who PLAYED wow have stopped to play it years ago.

#31 3 months ago
  32. Darkfield

@Reddpayn Are you high or something?

#32 3 months ago
  33. Hcw87

Lets not compare an MMO to an RPG. How does that even make sense? Two completely different genres.

Witcher and Skyrim is a fair comparison, WoW and Skyrim is not.

#33 3 months ago
  34. FlyBoogy

We will know next year.

#34 3 months ago
  35. Reddpayn

@Hcw87 yeah, thats a good point.

@darkfield heheh :)

#35 3 months ago
  36. Shinji10TH

Skyrim is like Bioshock Infinite or AC 3, an acclaimed masterpiece-of-shit.

#36 3 months ago
  37. Templar0929

@Hcw87 Umm, Dark Souls? It’s more popular on GameFaqs and YouTube.

#37 3 months ago
  38. Templar0929

If we go by “popularity” and what sold more than Call of Duty is the best game ever made.

The truth speaks for itself, however, when articles on places like VG247, Eurogamer and Gamespot are filled with praises for Dark Souls as the better RPG. Forbes and Eurogamer even had articles out (back when DkS and Skyrim released) on why DkS was better.

It’s not a matter on what game sold more (obviously Skyrim will sell more by having a publisher who started spamming advertisements for the game upon its announcement on every gaming site whilst also retaining a huge fan base from the nineties) but what the critical reception was. After the “buzz” went off on Skyrim, most people agreed DkS was the better game and RPG and this has shown from the numerous games afterwards influenced by it (i.e Lords of the Fallen, Zombie U, Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen, Shadows of Mordor’s death system, The Witcher 2′s combat etc*) .

*Don’t deny this either, all the developers for these games have spoken on how Dark Souls has specifically influenced them.

Skyrim? What has that influenced? Considering other games have done open worlds better, I’d say Bethesda lost their “open world” crown long ago. The final nail in their coffin was their abysmal MMO and the fact that most of the RPG’s this year and next are open world and are doing this feature better than any TES game.

I don’t think many people play TES expecting a good RPG anymore. You can’t even influence its plot for God’s sake.

#38 3 months ago
  39. Templar0929

@OrbitMonkey Dragon Age: Origins came out at the end of 2009 and it’s universally agreed that Skyrim can’t hold a torch to it. How exactly is a two year release apart from Skyrim’s a nostalgic wankfest?

#39 3 months ago
  40. OrbitMonkey

^ Really? I must of missed all those articles saying Skyrim’s no Dragon Age…

Plenty of articles asking if some game is the new Skyrim though…

Like Skyrim has universally accepted as a industry standard :)

#40 3 months ago
  41. ChandlerL

At 20 million copies sold, universal acclaim from press and public (metacritic), records broken on Steam such as concurrent users, copies sold/time, I’m pretty sure I understood what the author of the article meant when he referred to an “RPG Crown.”

Folks, that doesn’t take away from anyone’s favorite nostalgic RPG. I always saw Skyrim as a net positive for RPG fans. It showed publishers Call of Duty/Grand Theft Auto money can be made from a CRPG. It’s success likely increased the grandeur and scope of Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition among others. In my opinion, that’s a good thing for RPG fans.

#41 3 months ago
  42. Cycovision

Elitism, Elitism everywhere.
    Personally I prefer an RPG that has good combat, multiple playable races and open ended worlds, where if you want to completely ignore the main quest you can. To me that is why I love Skyrim, however it’s all a matter of personal preference.

If they ever were to make D&D into a good game then that’d be the best IMHO.

#42 3 months ago
  43. marporte

I loved the first Witcher on PC I played the second one on 360 and it was glitchy and combat wasn’t as good on the 360 I how the PC fared. Part 3 looks like it could have everything going for it and characters I care about because I really didn’t care when anyone died in Skyrim even if it was from a random attack, dragon attack, or me looting. Skyrim was the ultimate fantasy sandbox where I could do alot of stuff but I didn’t care for the story, the lore, or the people. An awesome rpg makes you care even if it isn’t the best game in the world. Thats why Mass Effect was great because people cared enough about the characters and the universe to throw a huge ass fit when fans didn’t get the ending they felt they deserve and Bioware expanded on the ending.

#43 3 months ago
  44. TheWulf

A better question is whether Skyrim even has an RPG crown to steal.

I’ve recently replayed Ultima VII (the original, not the Exult version, as the original is still more complex than Exult’s implementation), and the things you can do in it because of how fantastic the AI is are amazing. There are emergent bugs because of that, yes, but it just makes the experience so much more sublime.

Find a preacher in the game, wait for them to actually start preaching at their allotted time, then start moving their podium. They’ll chase it and try to continue to preach at it. They’ll be annoyed at you for moving it, but their priority is on preaching. Move the podium far enough, and you can have someone preaching at a field of cattle.

It’s little things like that, playing with the AI, because the AI is just so complex.

How complex? Everyone has a full daily AI schedule, they’ll work, they’ll sleep, and they’ll do things in between. A group of people will come together to perform at a band at an inn, and you’ll know these people from having seen them around town at day and talked to them. Each of those people have extensive dialogue trees, and different personalities, but if you catch them when they come together to play, they’ll have more things to say about that, even.

One guy can be caught in the middle of an affair, and begs you not to tell his wife, and you can literally follow him around and observe this until you confront him. A lady from the bank goes home, and goes to sleep, putting an important key in her bedside cabinet which allows you to rob a small portion of said bank.

And not just that, but Ultima VII was vibrant! Crashed kilwrathi spaceships, a parody of the Next Generation, a unicorn that accuses you of being a virgin, a laurel and hardy parody, and many other things that are just fun to discover.

And moreover, you can play Ultima VII without attacking a single person right up to the ending. It’s actually an RPG, so you’re allowed to roleplay being a pacifist, if you want. And further, you can even roleplay being a baker. Or you can head to the baker’s and be a suspicious waif, watching him bake and slipping away his baked goods until he catches you, and chases you down the street yelling for the guards.

For me, Ultima VII probably still has the RPG crown. I can think of contenders, but I’m not sure if anyone actually beats it, yet. Not only did Ultima VII do a hand designed sandbox that was prettier than most terrain-generated nonsense, and not only did it have living AI, but it also had brilliantly written dialogue, and a fantastic story. It was the apex RPG, the peak, the top point of the perigee.

As I said, others have come close, for different reasons, but I can’t think of one that’s ever really managed to do what Ultima VII did. And Ultima VII remains as one of the only sandboxes I’ve ever liked. Again, pretty much due to the tile-based nature of it, and how (despite it being giant) it was all designed by hand rather than lazily procedurally made. I can see procedural generation in so many sandbox games of late (I’m a programmer, and you just begin to recognise it), and it’s so bland, it has nothing of the artisanship that a real person would have.

I mean that, hands down, one of the best weapons in Ultima VII is called ‘the hoe of death’ is endemic of the kind of mindset behind the game. And yes, it was a hoe, a quite accidentally enchanted hoe, given to a mildly crazed farmer who saw the aforementioned spaceship crash.

And then, if you want choice and consequence, few games have managed to top what the Fallout games offered. Especially Fallout 2, doubly so with the fan patch that restores the choice-and-consequence options that were cut because they conflicted with Chris Avellone’s giant ego (I still say that Avellone is Obsidian’s cancer, and they’d be better off without him, because he’s not even a very imaginative writer).

Though even Ultima VII had some amazing choice and consequence in it, but to even talk about that would be to spoil some of the best surprises in the game.

If you’ve never played Ultima VII or any of its contenders (like Fallout or the Gothic series), then you’d perhaps be inclined to think that Skyrim is so, so great. But really, it isn’t. It’s nothing that special at all.

#44 3 months ago
  45. TheWulf

Oh, damn, good call. Mask of the Betrayer (an expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2) continues to be one of the best RPG stories ever told. It’s so good that it’s often considered to be the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, and in many ways actually surpassing its predecessor.

I can’t believe I didn’t talk about that at all. The characters, the setting, and just about everything else were sublimely handled, and it was all a very intellectual affair. It wasn’t something for the low brow thugs who just wanted to kill shit. It was a very talky game, like Planescape was, and I loved that.

They were also brilliant in regards to choice and consequence, as in you could even get entirely different characters for your party depending on what you did. This presence wasn’t as strong as it was in, say, the first two Fallout games, but it was very much there.

Pokémon? Pokémon is vastly more popular than Skyrim, and with greater numbers to swell it out. And though it’s marketed as a kids game, the demographics that actually seem to buy it are most often those from their mid twenties to early thirties.

But, in general, popularity isn’t always a good indicator of worth anyway. Can you honestly tell me, with a straight face, that The Titanic was a better film than Pan’s Labyrinth, just because The Titanic was the more popular film? You’d have to be exceedingly low brow to say such a thing, and not realise how wrong it is or why.

But why settle? You could say that New Vegas is your all time favourite RPG. That way, you get the writing, the choice and consequence, the brilliant level design (indoor areas), and mod support.

Rather than just… um… mod support.

Pretty much. It was just an exercise in killing shit with people yelling about how much of a hero you are for slaying things. Or some war, about the most blatantly idiotic things that anyone could war over. Whoop. I guess it’s the extroverted slob’s RPG, but it’s not an RPG I’d ever take to. I continue to wait for Bethesda to do something that isn’t painfully painfully dumb, air headed, and low brow.

I can understand the appeal for people that want to kill shit, but in general, it’s a bloody awful RPG (one of the worst I’ve ever played).

The only light in the darkness was Paarthurnax, but a minute or two of enlightenment from him doesn’t make up for days of kludging around in the mud with people who can barely enunciate through their fake accents.

If the whole game had been investigation, research, puzzling, platforming, and talking to Paarthurnax, then that could have been something I enjoyed. But hey, it’s all about low brow fascistic elves pretending to be superior, and low brow racist nord thugs. And then low brow dragon slayers which discludes the option of trying to find a solution that revolves around words rather than slaughter, where you could strike a peace with the dragons rather than ending them or attempting to commit genocide.

Because KILLINZ, and WOAAAR.

I genuinely believe that, considering Skyrim and Mass Effect, those low brow extroverts I dislike so much have a genocide fetish. It’s worrying that it’s now dawning on me just how popular genocide simulators are with extroverts, frankly, and I now feel a bit queasy.

And when you couple it with how racist/sexist/homophobic (and worse) extroverts in general tend to be, it’s really worrying, and I like it even less. It’s power fantasies for people who want to be total arseholes. But considering my power fantasies don’t revolve around being an arsehole, it just doesn’t apply. I’d rather be a medic, or a cop, or something along those lines.

So, I can understand the appeal, but the appeal makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Good post, and good point — there’s literally no choice and consequence in Bethesda games, at all.

You’re usually presented with:

* Correct Option A: You receive a backpat, everything is fine.
    * Correct Option B: You receive a backpat, everything is fine.
    * Correct Option C: You receive a backpat, everything is fine.

Outcome, in all cases: You receive a backpat, everything is fine.

It’s kind of like an opiate for stupid people.

Yesss player, the choice you made was goooood, now look at all the gooood things happening because you’re such a hero, player. Yesssss. Gooood. Gooood. Don’t think. Kill, and feel heroic. Yessss.

Compare this with a game like New Vegas that really tasks you.

A vault’s power generator is malfunctioning, there are people living in the depths of the vault on minimal power, waiting for someone to rescue them. You can repair the reactor and open the doors, setting them free, but this creates an overload that will irradiate the soil for years to come. This irradiation of the land may very well lead to the starvation of the peoples of New Vegas, so you could shut down the reactor, to make sure it never overloads by itself, but in the process you doom those people to death. You are their arbiter, you decide their fate. What do you do?

And neither results in a backpat. I was plagued for months by that, the bastards.

Because popularity equates to quality. Right? Except no.

You see, that could be true, if the majority of humanity wasn’t made up of unintelligent, grossly anti-intellectual thugs; of cave people who actually take umbrage at advanced political concepts, philosophy, and thought-provoking discussion.

Occasionally you’ll find a small bastion of intelligence on the Internet (NationStates continues to be one of them), but generally? You’ll see more utter stupidity than anything else. And a genuine hatred of erudition.

And these barely sentient (let alone sapient), those masses so woefully lacking in self awareness or the ability to analyse or question themselves… well, their numbers decide what’s popular. But those people aren’t a statement of quality — they have no real intellectual or emotional worth, they’re not scientists or artists, they’re just thugs. And there are a lot of thugs. That’s why we’re still a warlike society.

If quality was commonplace, there would be no war. We’d just talk it out like the wonderful, thoughtful, considerate people we are. But no, there has to be unga-bunga chest pounding and dominance displays. I mean, look at George Bush, that’s the average human right there. That’s what I see in a lot of people.

Do I, as an intelligent person, put much stock in the opinion of a man like Bush? Do I put much stock in the opinions of people as woefully imbecilic as Bush?

Ha. No. No I don’t.

Popularity is not a valid indicator of quality, because the quantity of humanity doesn’t possess quality itself, and thus has no metric with which to judge quality.

See #40. The only way you could ever believe that popularity equates to quality is if you’re not intelligent enough to question that in the first place. One of the most obvious signs that a person is a low IQ thug is that they believe that the opinion of the mob is the law, and irrefutably so.

The mob believes that Skyrim is the greatest RPG ever. Does that make it true?

There are intelligent people out there who’d disagree. I’d pay more attention to just one person with a genuine amount of intellectual and emotional worth over an army of thugs whose level of intelligence hovers around George Bush and Rush Limbaugh.

I mean, honestly, I’d listen to the opinion of Stephen Fry over any of you louts, any day of the week.

As I said, you have to possess quality in order to assess quality.

Eh. A good RPG ties many of its sidequests into the main one somehow to have a sesne of cohesion. Ultima VII and the Fallout games did this, even New Vegas did that, too. I think that completely disjointed sidequests that ignore what’s going on in the greater world are uninspired and lazy.

Bethesda did admittedly get better about this by intertwining the main quest and the war, somewhat, but it was heavy-handed and kludgy, it also resulted in a lot of nasty bugs if you didn’t do it in the way Bethesda intended.

There are RPGs out there that do what Skyrim did but infinitely better. The only reason to like Skyrim so much is blissful ignorance of what came before.

#45 3 months ago
  46. OrbitMonkey

As always Wulfie your chatting shite :)

Popularity doesn’t mean quality? Maybe, but it ensures longevity, helps firmly root it in the public conscious, so in 10 years time when all else is forgotten, its remembered as a classic.

P.S. Another little phrase for you, Quality over quantity. Learn it.

#46 3 months ago
  47. polygem

Demons Souls or GTFO

#47 3 months ago
  48. Tormenter

Nah…

Skyrim crafted it’s own crown, it breaks unexectedly and the gilt is wornthrough after just a short time.

#48 3 months ago
  49. Tormenter

@OrbitMonkey

OK, so then we have long running shit (diarrhea?) on our hands (?), that doesn’t make it any more desirable or any less crappy. Can I also note the irony of you preaching quality over quantity, but using the diametrically opposite arguement, for what seems to be, the positive reinforcement of an undesirable desirable situation.. I laughed. :)

#49 3 months ago
  50. OrbitMonkey

^ Your confusing yourself chum :)

Just because theirs a lot of somthing, doesn’t mean its popular & just because somethings popular, doesn’t mean they’ll be a lot of it.

Hope that helps.

#50 3 months ago
  51. ChandlerL

@45 I’ll try to respond but what you said has little to do with what I said nor what the author of the article said. *shrug* All I provided were facts followed by an opinion based on those facts. You’re talking about your feelings. I’m not interested in, what you feel, is a quality RPG– especially one that sells “one copy.” because it changes nothing and spawns nothing. No matter what I feel about Skyrim, it is the highest selling RPG of all time. It moved the needle for other RPGs that have enlarged their scope because of it. I think this not becaues of my feelings but because the developers told me it did. I maintain that that is a net positive because I believe (and this is the opinion part) that the other games will include the scope of Skyrim with the strong narrative that have made those other IPs desirable– namely Witcher and Dragon Age. Therefore I see it as a net positive for RPG fans. A more open, grand Witcher and Dragon Age. Yes, please.

#51 3 months ago
  52. Panthro

@Hcw87

They are both RPGs…

One may be massively multiplayer, but they are still both RPGs.

They can totally be compared, especially in the context of which should be crowned “king” of the RPG’s.

#52 3 months ago