The Last of Us: Remastered visuals almost don’t fit on a Blu-ray

Friday, 9th May 2014 00:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Last of Us: Remastered improves on the PlayStation 3 version’s already stunning visuals, but despite the PS4′s greater power Naughty Dog has run into limitations.

the_last_of_us_remastered

In the latest issue of Edge, creative director Neil Druckmann said that the developer struggled a bit to fit everything in.

“Our cinematics are now running at 1080p and 60fps, and that involved rendering them all from scratch. It’s interesting that now [instead of a technical bottleneck], the bottleneck is ‘Can we fit all this on the disc?’” he said.

However, despite this limitation, Naughty Dog has managed to pack more in – the PS4 version of the game will use the same high-quality assets in-game as in cinematics.

“We don’t build it with high assets in mind to then port it, but it did give us a leg up. If we hadn’t done that, we might not have made the call to bring it over to PS4,” Druckmann said.

Naughty Dog’s tweaks have resulted in better lighting and enemy models, but all in all the developer mainly just wants to bring the PS3 game over intact; it won’t be fiddling with the lauded, award-winning game.

The Last of Us: Remastered is due towards the end of the year on PS4.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Junior

“The Last of Us: Remastered is due towards the end of the year on PS4.”

I swear it was said the summer numerous times.

#1 3 months ago
  2. tezzer1985

Why say thanks to Gamespot? Who took the article from CVG, who are just typing quotes from Edge, so shouldn’t the credit go to Edge, not Gamespot

#2 3 months ago
  3. Panthro

@tezzer1985

Who honestly cares though.

#3 3 months ago
  4. DoubleM

The cutscenes in the game are fucking pre-rendered video files, did they really expect to encounter a technical bottleneck?

Many, many people judge the Last of Us’ graphics by its cutscenes, yet they don’t know that the cutscenes are pre-rendered videos which have been rendered with higher qualities than the game itself.

despite all this, The Last of Us won many “Best Graphics” awards last year. We had GTA V last year which rendered everything in-engine, had a complete open world with lots of graphical details, and most important of all, had lots and lots of AI processing, even while processing all those graphics. That’s what I call a bottleneck for programmers.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Judicas

End of the year? Uhhhh don’t think so, it’s a lot sooner then that according to what ND have told retailers

#5 3 months ago
  6. Luciferous

@DoubleM The reason people didn’t notice is because the high end assets were designed with close ups in mind and more intricate facial animations, a cutscene for almost any game is pre-rendered to save on processing power, whether they use the actual in-game assets or not.

What would you rather have, flawless choreographed narrative cutscenes that work every time, or in-game animated scenes that run the risk of failing miserably because something doesn’t quite work right?

#6 3 months ago
  7. BrokenSpline

Can’t wait for this to release. Going to replay it in the highest difficulty and take my time with it.

#7 3 months ago
  8. redwood

when will we see a screenshot of the game running on a ps4 ? i wanna see how good it looks, cause it will probably play just as good as the ps3 version.

#8 3 months ago
  9. budgiesmuggler

God its happening already!

The next excuse for developers/designers…

“we would love to give you 1080p @ 60 FPS but we can’t fit it onto the disc”

Next Gen my a**e!

I’ve been a gamer since I was a kid with my second hand Atari 2600 and ive seen some truly spectacular generational leaps in technology over the decades but this “next gen” is purely a minor jump in the scheme of things. I’m disheartened to say the least at the moment but I hope we see some REAL next gen gaming within the next 12 months.

#9 3 months ago
  10. Dog4life

Well who really cares.

altready had a good time on ps3. I do not see a valid reason to buy again same game, for a few graphical updates….

Even more i have no reason if it comes out ned of the year, where probably the ps4 library will be more load with AAA titles

#10 3 months ago
  11. lubu

@Luciferous

i rather have in-game animated scenes that run the risk of failing miserably because something doesn’t quite work right. but i don’t get the risk part, there are tons of great game out there (if not all) without any faliure in their real time or real time interactive cut scenes. pre rendered cut scenes in my opinion are like cheating on and or fooling people who play the game, and lazy devs who are not sure of their work use them. sry for english

#11 3 months ago
  12. BoB

@budgiesmuggler I have to disagree with you. If you look at a last gen game, like GTA 5 and look at InFamous Second Son, you will see a huge difference in the Graphics. We are at a point where multiplying, the Polygons of a Character, by 10 doesn’t even make a noticeable difference. But now we have better Animation, Subsurface Scattering, multiple layers of skin animation etc. and i think that it is a HUGE improvement over the last generation.

#12 3 months ago
  13. Llewelyn_MT

@Luciferous
    “a cutscene for almost any game is pre-rendered to save on processing power”

First of all, it’s not true. Moreover, what you would be saving that processing power for? When a cutscene is playing, there is notinhg else happening, right? Modern systems can render in-engine without breaking a sweat. The game engine should run better without player input, right? ;)

#13 3 months ago
  14. budgiesmuggler

@BoB

Don’t get me wrong mate, there are definate improvements in the graphical quality of the next gen titles as opposed to last gen but nothing has “wowed” me yet.
    Maybe I’m being a little defeatist in my comment but I just can’t help but be a little disappointed.
    Maybe I expect too much?

#14 3 months ago
  15. slk486

@Llewelyn_MT While the cutscene is playing, the next area is loaded and set up, which avoids loading screens, so yes – quite a lot is going on in the meantime.

#15 3 months ago
  16. DoubleM

I like it when cutscenes reflect my character personalizations (Mass Effect, GTA, RDR, Bully); I like it when I have control over the camera in a cutscene and can look at things from a different perspective (MGS3, MGS4); I like it when I’m emulating a PSX or PS2 game on my PC, and because the cutscenes are not pre-rendered, I can upscale them to 2K resolutions.

Overall, in-game rendered cutscenes are definitely better, but having worked a little with engines, I can tell you its super hard to make a cutscenes render in-engine. Many games today use video files for their cutscenes; I don’t care if all Arkham games cutscenes were video files, I don’t care if Lords of Shadow (the first one only) had super compressed video files for their cutscenes. I enjoyed them, as I enjoyed the Last of Us.

All I’m saying is, playing video files as cutscenes is not a technical achievement. But I liked it that both the Last of Us and Max Payne 3 (my 2012 GOTY) had no loading screens, because the game was loading when the video files were playing.

#16 3 months ago
  17. Reddpayn

Gtav: the only game i can still play on my ps3 without thinking how bad the graphics are. Actually its quite the opposite, because it still keeps impressing me graphics- and gameplaywise.
    Gtav:1st next gen game

#17 3 months ago
  18. Llewelyn_MT

@slk486 Cutscene usually uses the assets that are already loaded. Therefore it does not use storage to play, unlike playing a pre-rendered video. Not having cutscenes rendered in real time actually makes matters worse. when it comes to loading assets for the new area. ;)

#18 3 months ago
  19. Erthazus

@Llewelyn_MT it’s true. The game is mostly in cutscenes and they just upped the resolution and fps of it.
    What you see in cutscenes is not in-engine. It’s a cinematic while the game is loading.

Naguthy dog is using that trick since Uncharted because PS3 will never achieve what is in cutscenes if you believe otherwise than you are a tard.

#19 3 months ago
  20. Erthazus

@Llewelyn_MT

I will edit myself a bit because there is no EDIT button. They are in-engine but they are built as cinematics. Most of the game’s space are cinematics and when the game shows you a cutscene the game is loading at that time. The game itself maybe 4 or 5 GB at Max while cutscenes an be at 20 GB or even more.

For the PS4 they made them in 1080p and that will increase it’s size obviously.

#20 3 months ago
  21. zoopdeloop

aside from re releasing it for those that didn’t have a chance to experience this game,i don’t see a reason for all this. i just see ND doing a minor upgrade that few will notice while less will even care

#21 3 months ago
  22. westman98

I loved The Last of Us. It ranks as amng my favorite games of 2013, the other two being GTA 5 and Bioshock Infinite. However, it is clear the only reason this game exists is to fill the PS4′s relatively empty summer release schedule and convince some very loyal Playstation fans to buy the same game twice, only with slightly enhanced graphics and all the DLC.

#22 3 months ago