Watch Dogs will be one of the “best-selling new IPs in recent memory,” says Ubisoft

Thursday, 17th April 2014 16:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ubisoft fully expects Watch Dogs to be one of the best-selling titles of 2014, and one of the “best-selling new IPs in recent memory.”

watch_dogs

Speaking with MCV, the firm’s Wayne Greenwell said the numbers of pre-orders for the title proves “excitement for the product” is “incredibly high”.

“Our pre-orders are hugely promising for a new IP and highlights the enthusiasm that has surrounded the product since it was first unveiled to the world,” he said.

“With Watch Dogs, Ubisoft is building a new blockbuster brand to stand alongside other top tier triple-A titles and we expect it to be not only one of the best selling new IPs in recent memory, but also one of the best selling titles throughout 2014.”

Ubisoft will market the title through apps, live streams and TV, print and online ads. It is also partnering with mobile app Shazam which will be used in TV and radio campaign.

The company is also reaching out to “top” YouTube and Twitch users who will be playing the game on launch day.

Watch Dogs releases on PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One May 27. The Wii U version is still expected at some point.

1. hadamrw

Oh boy! I sure am glad someone is going to make lots of money! Lets just hope this game is actually good.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

That’s nice this game has received lots of attention for all wrong/right/funny reasons.

AFAIK Wii U version is coming Fall 2014.

#2 5 months ago
  3. dazedonthemoon

I’m really not a fan of Ubisoft and their need for a “brand”. Knowing that this game is being developed from the beginning with sequels in mind makes me think that it’s going to be short or end on a cliffhanger. Ubisoft loves their money more than making a great game.

#3 5 months ago
  4. ij 44

So I won’t be able to wipe my ass without seeing Ubisoft marketing for this, and in return I am duty bound to buy the game?

#4 5 months ago
  5. Yogosan

Watch Dogs will be one of the “worst-selling new IPs in recent memory,” says anonymous internet poster.

Who are you gonna believe?

#5 5 months ago
  6. salarta

@dazedonthemoon There was a recent article from someone on the dev team about how Ubisoft wanted Watch Dogs to be out at launch for the new consoles, but allowed the team to release it later because quality is more important. So it’s not all “rush it out to make a quick buck.” However, they’re still pulling that dick move on Desilets by denying to give him back the rights to his IP that they gained by buying up THQ, and that’s enough in my eyes to disregard what Ubisoft puts out.

@Yogosan I think I’ll believe anonymous internet poster. Anonymous internet poster isn’t being paid to say nice things about Ubisoft in order to boost Ubisoft’s sales.

#6 5 months ago
  7. game_on

I’m glad they say ‘best-selling’ and not just ‘best’. Cause the latter probably will probably not be the case…

#7 5 months ago
  8. budoshi

we ll see. only time will tell, not ubisoft egos

#8 5 months ago
  9. bradk825

Not sure why this game is suddenly receiving so much hate. People were excited for it before the delay, now everyone thinks it will be shit. Why? I still think it looks awesome, and it’s something new, aren’t we always begging for something new?

#9 5 months ago