[Update 3] Watch Dogs Wii U: UK retailers still taking preorders, Ubisoft responds

Friday, 24th January 2014 12:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Watch Dogs Wii U is still open for preorder at UK retailers GAME and Shopto, despite claims that the Nintendo port has been cancelled.

UPDATE: Nintendo has replied to us on the matter. A rep just told me, “I’m afraid we wouldn’t be able to comment on a Ubisoft title,” which makes sense, but it was worth a shot.

UPDATE 2: A source close to Kotaku has told the site that US GameStops are also cancelling pre-orders of the title. To check, Stephany called three of her local stores and each time was told she could still pre-order the title. If you go to the official website, it is also still listed and will let you pre-order the Wii U version – which she tried as well.

UPDATE 3: GameStop stores in both Italy and the US are claiming the cancellations some customers recieved was just a “glitch in the system,” which explains why some of the local stores here in the US had no clue what we were talking about when contacted on the matter. Via CVG.

More as we hear it.

ORIGINAL STORY: It follows claims that the Watch Dogs Wii U preorders are being refunded by GameStop Italy, and that therefore the Nintendo edition has been scrapped.

We were sceptical, so held off on the story before speaking with a few sources of our own. First up, our lock Ubisoft rep replied with a standard, “We have nothing to comment at this stage,” response, which is typically reserved for any rumours and shouldn’t be taken as a hint of anything. Keen to learn more, we took the matter to a few retail stores.

I called around two GAME stores here in Edinburgh. Both stores had heard nothing regarding the Watch Dogs Wii U cancellation, and they even tested out the preorder SKU to see if the system was still accepting orders. It did.

Next, I called Shopto to see if there was any truth to the cancellation rumours, and a rep explained that orders were still being taken, the chain had heard nothing about the Wii U edition being scrapped and all the only thing they had heard recently was, “just the delay,” which is already well-documented.

We’re also waiting to hear from Nintendo. Stay tuned.

So make of this what you will. It could be cancelled and Ubisoft is yet to confirm the matter, or it’s just another wild rumour.

What do you think?

1. SplatteredHouse

If you were Ubi, where would you decide to place most of your focus for Watch Dogs development. Is the Wii U version outsourced or a separate team from whoever is developing the others? Best to wait for Nintendo, if Ubisoft cba to clarify things. They don’t have any reason to want inaccuracies like this may be to become widely reported or proven (anecdotally) right.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 I’m waiting on an email from Nintendo now :)

It’s not that Ubi can’t be arsed responding, it’s just most publishers have this boileplate mentality when it comes to rumours; a simple ‘we do not comment on rumour or speculation’ reply that stops them from tripping themselves up or revealing things they shouldn’t.

#2 8 months ago
  3. SplatteredHouse

they shrugged it off, not electing to comment on this particular matter individually. That’s what I was referring to. Answers will come in time.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 It’s not their choice tbh, they’re told not to respond, just to cover themselves.

#4 8 months ago
  5. monkeygourmet

I wouldn’t be suprised in the slightest if this was cancelled. Unless the port is being handled with TLC, whats the point?

The game sounds like it’s conception has been somewhat troubled, adding a Wii U port to the checklist is just not really a good idea.

Most likely, the plug has been pulled.

I personally think the game will recieve average reviews from what I have seen so far.

#5 8 months ago
  6. tezzer1985

I think all current gen versions, Wii U, 360 & PS3 have been cancelled.

Watch Dogs will be a Xbox One, PS4 & PC title this year, that’s my prediction.

#6 8 months ago
  7. SplatteredHouse

@4 That’s interesting, thanks. I always supposed that they didn’t respond in order that they wouldn’t find themselves inundated.

@5 I’d like to imagine that the game itself is more fleshed out than its next-gen tech demo aspirations on stage(d) visits make it seem, but the point that Ubi haven’t exactly elaborated on the game itself beyond that by this time, does leave me to wonder and reluctant to support it.

#7 8 months ago
  8. The_Red

They won’t cancel PS3 and 360 versions because the game cost a ton to make (More than 60 million dollars) and there is no way to make it back on just PS4, XB1 and PC.

Still, based on how much Watch Dogs has been featured during Nintendo’s videos and even their Directs, I think they’ll at least keep this one.

#8 8 months ago
  9. tezzer1985

@8 I kind of agree with you.

But it would seem (my opinion, not based on fact) that the current gen versions was holding the game back, that’s why they didn’t feel they could bring it out against GTA 5.

The only way for Ubi to outdo GTA, is to make a better living breathing open world, then R* which can be achieved on new hardware.

But your right, to much money to be made bringing it out on the old hardware, hence why I feel this game will not be able to stand next to GTA or even it’s label mate AC.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Stephany Nunneley

Added in Kotaku report on the same thing happening in the US. I called my local stores and each person I spoke with seemed clueless on the matter. I even checked the website and it let me get all the way to the order now page after submitting credit card info etc.

Anyway, more as it happens etc.

#10 8 months ago
  11. Legendaryboss

This is worrying now if the Wii U version wasn’t cancelled Ubisoft would come right out, fairly quickly i might add and say it. The silence over this… Well there has to be some degree of truth.

But i shouldn’t be surprised it was rumoured Ubisoft would pull support for said (usual) reasons and i can’t see Nintendo fans feeling too fussed about it because there are higher-up titles on their list: Mario Kart 8, X, Smash Bros etc. etc.

Speaking of Watch Dogs its been too silent in general.

#11 8 months ago
  12. Stephany Nunneley

‘Twas all a “glitch in the system” apparently. Post has been updated yet again.

#12 8 months ago
  13. Legendaryboss

Damn you Stephany and your constant updates! Now what i said is mostly no longer valid. *Shakes fists.

New point: could, could this actually be a publicity stunt? Because it makes sense considering the themes of game. Plus the rumour has been debunked but Ubisoft are still silent…

Or it could be my imagination playing tricks on me.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Legendaryboss

Oh almost forgot but for some strange reason preorders of Watch Dogs Wii U rose for some odd reason.

Source: Google it.

#14 8 months ago
  15. dreamcastnews

I sure hope it is still coming for Wii U… I’m one of those rare ones who moans about lack of third party games for the machine but actually DOES buy the ones that do come out.

This particular one is pretty high on my list, too.

#15 8 months ago