Assassin’s Creed: Ubisoft would gladly break yearly cycle to fix weak projects

Friday, 20th December 2013 14:15 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed publisher Ubisoft has stressed that like its recent Watch Dogs delay and the Rainbow Six: Patriots restart, it would have no trouble postponing the release of an annualised sequel to ensure a high level of quality.

It recently transpired that Watch Dogs was salvaged from a canned Driver concept. Find out what happened through the link.

Now, speaking with IGN, Ubisoft North American president Laurent Detoc said, “If we think we’ve ended up with a 70 percent Assassin’s Creed game, we’re not going to ship it. That damages the brand.

“I’m not going to give you the names of products, because you know them as well as I do, but if you start to make games at 70 percent, even with a big brand, eventually people are going to change their mind about that brand. They won’t want it any more. That’s what saves the recurrence.

“There are 30 million people or so who have been playing Grand Theft Auto. Last year, to pick a round number, we had about 10 million people playing Assassin’s Creed. When we come up with an Assassin’s Creed the next year, there’s another 10 million brand new people who might be interested in the new setting, because of the new history, or the new naval battles and the pirates. It’s a variation on gameplay from even last year.”

Detoc added, “You bring something fresh, but you have to bring quality too. There’s a lot of people who can play your game. We have fans who come back to the franchise and we’re very thankful for them, because we think we’re giving them a good game to play, and they give back to us when they buy it. But there’s a lot more people out there who we can sell games to.”

Did you feel that Ubisoft Montreal upped its game in Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag compared to previous efforts? let us know below.

1. monkeygourmet

Well, I suppose Watchdogs will be the first example we get for them to show this sentiment in action.

I wonder how it will hold up?

#1 9 months ago
  2. Malmer

AC4 is one of the best games in the series. Not sure which is my favorite, but I know I really like the purity and environments of the first game. The later games became too much bloat, culminating in the fragmented and super bloated ac3.

But 4 is great. I’m not finished with it yet though.

#2 9 months ago
  3. yeoung

Sadly though, the “fresh gameplay” of which he speaks is merely an expansion of ACIII’s arguably most salvageable game mechanic. Also, you can’t say you’ll delay or de-annualize major franchises by pointing to a delay of an unrelated original IP. Especially considering the AC franchise is getting two sequels in 2014.

Both Brotherhood and Revelations were 70% games, though Brotherhood managed to shake things up enough for it not to wear. That or franchise fatigue simply hadn’t set in at that point. ACIII tried fresh things, and though many feel it was a wrong direction, it did actually differentiate significantly in terms of story, narrative and gameplay. It did however quell my interest in the franchise, haven’t so much as looked at AC4.

“We have fans who come back to the franchise and we’re very thankful for them, because we think we’re giving them a good game to play, and they give back to us when they buy it. But there’s a lot more people out there who we can sell games to.”

This statement right here is what’s holding back AC from expanding beyond its scope.

#3 9 months ago
  4. karma

I didn’t like the first two very much, in fact i quit playing them after 5 or 6 hours. The settings just didnt appeal to me. I came back to the franchise when my brother loaned me AC3. The setting and gameplay definitely went more towards a direction that I enjoyed. Though it still held onto a number of “hold your hand” gameplay mechanics like the annoyingly imprecise free-running. But the naval mechanics and some actual stealth mechanics, (albeit still very clunky) really upped my enjoyment. I cant wait to play Black Flag.

#4 9 months ago
  5. lubu

by breaking yearly cycle they mean releasing 2 Assassin game a year ?
    1 and 2 was great, after that the series was just a repeat of the first two with new enviorments and weaker stories. AC IV is just an overrated peace of garbage that people love

#5 9 months ago
  6. Aaron82

really enjoyed the first one, tried playing the second but i was already bored with the franchise. just like CoD it seems to be the same every time every year.(battlefield series too)

#6 9 months ago
  7. bradk825

@5 They didn’t say they are breaking the yearly cycle, they said they’d be willing to if they had to.

#7 9 months ago
  8. dontbescaredhomie92

bullshit.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Panthro

“Ubisoft would gladly break yearly cycle to fix weak projects”

If this was true they would still be making revelations because that was such a pile of shit.

#9 9 months ago
  10. dtyk

Iono, Revelations on PC I thought was excellent. Don’t know about the consoles.

Now I never minded AC annual releases since, well, they literally have an army working on AC all the time. Last I heard was 300 something people.

#10 9 months ago
  11. abdooltk

I thinK the best assassins creed is AcII and AC4

#11 9 months ago
  12. Natalie J. Yang

I’m making $78 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I’m my own boss. This is what I do,… http://goo.gl/ObvVMU

#12 9 months ago
  13. BrahManDude

the last 4 AC games felt around or less than 70% to be honest

PS:there is spam on top of my post

#13 9 months ago
  14. sebastien rivas

what can be said here….
    If Ubisoft was really willing then they would do it… period!

One solution instead of letting people go because there is no more yearly cycle BS then keep a good core at deving next sequel then open other IPs using the rest of the developers?
    Maybe, just maybe AC franchise brought in enough funds to do so newer IP can be done with no or limited off time??!?!?!

I don’t know, that is just my 2 pennies

#14 9 months ago
  15. NoPizzaNoCry

@13 check metacritic, you”ll see it’s not 70% but much higher ;)

#15 9 months ago
  16. azraelsefir

Guys, Guys…Watchdogs is supposedly a modern remake of Assassin’s Creed.If anyone had bothered to read a manuscript in AC 5 ,It will show that Abstergo Industries is currently working on a monitoring and security system called cTOS ,which as you can see,is present in Watchdogs. That would imply that the main villains are templars.

#16 9 months ago
  17. FlyBoogy

At least the admit that the last few games were prety boring and unimaginative… havent played 3 at all but 4 is just dull… The on land stuff was simplified a lot compared to the previous games, the present day stuff is just god awfull(like my english) and almost every mission that takes place on land(and even some on the sea) have you following or escorting people… and what is it with every Ubisoft game lately has some sort of leveling or unlocking, open world, milions of pointless collectibles, climbing things to unlock the map, taking over forts/outposts and also bad/silly/out right stupid stories(Im looking at you Far Cry 3)? All of these things will most likely be in Watch Dogs as well…

#17 9 months ago
  18. vicrysty

Not very good news for me, still want to come every year. Assassin’s Creed the best franchise ever.

#18 9 months ago
  19. 313714

I was assassins creed hardcore fans… I played this game when there was only one of it then I become so mad keen to play any game from this franchise and I did…….when I was playing this game I didnt fell I am playing game,i feld so much beyond….
    but
    but previous year….when I finished assassins creed 3 I understood that all of this time we was been played!!!
    all of those waits to see the game main story END was for nothing but just nothins…….
    and that was when that I dicided to never ever play any game from this franchis……but I never lost my hope…hoping to see thus game back….and this year those scores told me that my hope is about to come true.NOW this NEWS made me to beleave and I am going back to this franchise beacause is seems they learned a lesson to never destroy their brand….they telling this and they know what they did with us in previous game…then it must be true or this must be last time that I ever trust ubisoft…….;-)

#19 9 months ago
  20. Catherine E. Kinyon

just as Adam answered I am surprised that some one can profit $9628 in one month on the computer. browse around this website… http://bit.do/fEKa

#20 9 months ago
  21. redwood

short version … “fuck off.. it’s still making a ton of money.. you will get one sooner than you want it”

#21 9 months ago