Ubisoft: PC optimization is “a key process for all our games,” and is “an important platform”

Saturday, 23rd November 2013 18:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag associate producer Sylvain Trottier has said that PC optimization is “a key process for all our games,” as the format is “an important platform.”

Speaking on the Ubisoft Blog, Trottier said the team wants to make all its games just as great on PC as it is on consoles.

“That’s why Ubisoft had a team dedicated solely to building the PC version of Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag, working on everything from the UI to the controls to wide range of settings encountered in PC gaming. It’s absolutely not true that we don’t care about PC optimization,” Trottier said. “If we didn’t care about PC optimization, then we would not have such a big team dedicated just to the PC version in Kiev.

“We are very proud of the PC version of Black Flag: the game runs well on low-end PCs, and lots of additional features were added for higher-end machines, allowing each and every customer to fully enjoy the experience on their PCs. Our partnership with Nvidia that saw our respective engineering teams work together to develop a highly optimized PC version also demonstrates our commitment to the platform.

“If you can see our game run at 4k resolution on PC, it’s magical. It’s beautiful.”

Trottier said when it came time to optimize the game, the team started on PC first, not only for logistical reasons, but but because it was also the environment the engineers were most familiar with – at least during these early days of next-gen. Trottier also said due to PS4 and Xbox One being so similar to PCs, any learnings from PC optimization could be readily applied to the systems.

“If, say, the team finds a way to shave 50% off the GPU burden for a particular effect, they can then expect a roughly equivalent savings on both next-gen consoles, and they can be confident in their ability to apply those savings,” he said. “It’s not 100% linear, but at least it gives you an order of magnitude.”

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag released on PC November 19.

1. monkeygourmet

Hahaha!

#1 8 months ago
  2. Unknown_Gamer

LAIRS , AC4 was truly the most heavyset game running into my PC .
    Capcom ( Yes you heard that correctly ) Is the only good Publisher for PC ports and they know really well how to optimize every detail for any PC game

I honestly hate Capcom so much but their part on optimizing PC games is just mind blowing , we need more PC ports from Capcom .

DMC and Resident Evil 6 are the best example of PC porting

#2 8 months ago
  3. Gronke09

#2
    I don’t think you tried every game on the pc then. Resident Evil revelations, Operation recoon city, Lost Planet and some other games, did not run well. Not even after a couple of patches.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Edo

I agree …LAIRS!!!

#4 8 months ago
  5. DarkElfa

@1, People using dual cores with 2GB of ram complaining about bad lag in a modern game?

#5 8 months ago
  6. Dirk

A number of people with medium/high pcs are having problems, turning down most settings has little effect. This is something that’s happening more often, though still rare, the base game runs bad and the extra graphical effects have very little impact on performance.
    I’ve not played it yet, still have to finish Brotherhood and the rest first, but that’s what’s being said by pc gamers.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Erthazus

download Nvidia drivers. That’s it.

There was a bug with V-sync.

#7 8 months ago
  8. manamana

Good, goooood! Hopefully they remember the magic when The Division and Watchdogs come to PC…

#8 8 months ago
  9. Catalyzer

@8 : yeah those are the two games that i am seriously waiting on the PC to arrive.
    i’m Glad they consider PC as an important platform !

#9 8 months ago
  10. Yolobot

@3 Did you forget VALVe?!?!

#10 8 months ago
  11. m2stech

WORRRD!
    Running smoothly on my laptop with high settings and SSAO off

#11 8 months ago
  12. wicktus

as long as they port their games from the 360/ps3 it will be crap but I know by experience that they will fix it quite soon, I just wish the vital patches could be released PRIOR to launch date.

I hope the x1/ps4-only games will be better optimized since they share a pc architecture

#12 8 months ago
  13. dizzygear

They can start optimising by removing uPlay. until then i refuse to buy ubisoft titles on PC.

#13 8 months ago
  14. Max Payne

Well for me def. runs better than AC3.

#14 8 months ago
  15. DreamCleaver

Proper link to Ubisoft’s Blog: http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-pc-optimization/

#15 8 months ago
  16. CMZX

@5 Core i5 4570 + 2x4GB DDR 3 (1600 MHz) + AC4 low settings = lags as hell, this game wasn’t optimized for PC at all.

#16 8 months ago
  17. DreamCleaver

It very much comes down to what kind of hardware your rig’s got. Mine’s got an ol’ i7 930 with 16 GB RAM @ 1600 MHz along with a Nvidia 680. I have everything at max/activated except for Soft Shadows. And only SMAA for AA as all the other methods blurs the image WAY too much.

It mostly runs around 40-50 fps. Might drop down to ~35 fps in some of the more heavier sections.

Disclaimer: Nothing’s been overclocked, all is at stock speeds.

#17 8 months ago
  18. TerminalV

I’m calling bullshit on that claim.
    On Both my Gaming Laptop and High-End Desktop this game runs terribly and i only get 15-20 FPS on very low settings.
    On My Desktop I Have
    16gb of RAM
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 780
    i7 4700 extreme
    2TB harddrive
    quad core

On My Laptop I have
    8 gb RAM
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 765M
    17 3795
    quad core
    1 TB Hard drive
    3.7 Gigahertz.

This is very poor optimization.
    I Could run AC3 on Max settings on my Laptop and get 60-50 FPS All the time no overclock no Game booster. This is insane, and seeing as how i got the gold edition and all DLC i am VERY dissapointed.

Well,Time to use a gift card to buy the WiiU Version…

#18 8 months ago