Bungie added fantasy-themed elements to Destiny to differentiate it from Halo

Friday, 1st November 2013 20:27 GMT By Phil Owen

Bungie didn’t want to create a straight-up sci-fi shooter with Destiny, instead it wanted to create something that wouldn’t be confused with its Halo franchise, according to writer Eric Osborne, who said the team kept this in mind during the game’s development.

“Really, the artists were trying to push hard away from sci-fi because of the Halo legacy and history,” Osborne told IGN. “They were just thinking, ‘What can we do that’s radically different after 10 years?’ So there’s actually some concept art that you can find online of a very fantasy-driven world of knights, swords and sorcery in a white city on a hill.

“That was very much pure fantasy, but the more they continued to work and the more their ideas formed over time, the more they realized that the lure of sci-fi was just something they loved and they were denying themselves that creative space. So they thought, ‘What if we just take these two things and smash them together?’”

To sum up: they were afraid of being generic, so they made a game that is both scifi and fantasy, admitting that Star Wars influenced that idea. Which makes sense considering you can wear what is basically a Mandalorian helmet in Destiny.

1. Ireland Michael

So it’s basically the same game with fantasy elements?

This is a good thing… how? Why would I want the same game packaged under a new name?

#1 11 months ago
  2. polygem

because it’s halo in an mmoish dress, always evolving…it’s what i always wanted :)

#2 11 months ago
  3. sebastien rivas

Are both games without the fantasy element purely the same? I mean if they were then I probably assume MS would sue Bungie.
    Let it go and let it flow, you may enjoy the game better, seriously. Wait, see, play the game, otherwise what is the point of making gameS in first place.

#3 11 months ago
  4. DSB

@1 Yeah, I mean, imagine if someone took Star Wars and bred it with Lord of the Rings.

It would only be the most epic fucking nerdgasm in the history of the world.

Treants knocking guys off speeders, ewoks biting orcs in the ear while hifiving the dwarf crushing his balls from below, and wizards with fucking lightsabers!

If that’s a bad thing to you, then I don’t even know what to say.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

@4 I’ll admit, that’s pretty badass. But this is neither Star Wars nor Lord of the Rings, so it can’t even hope to come close to that level of awesomeness.

I just… why would I want to play what is essentially the same game under a different name? They’re pretty much admitting that’s all it is. They left Microsoft just to… make the exact same game under a different name? Wut? I don’t get it.

I just have really low patience for iteration. There’s only a certain amount of constant repetition I can tolerate before I just feel like I’m paying more money to repeat the exact same process all over again, to the point that simply *seeing* it completely puts me off experiencing it.

We can’t really complain about games rehashing the same shit over and over again if we’re just going to end up going out and buy it anyway. Changing the name isn’t enough.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Erthazus

I hope it’s not Halo under the different skin. I hope that’s not the case. I don’t want boring level design, horrible shooting mechanics and etc.

A good MMOFPS with RPG elements is what I want. I want raids and dungeons, classes. Some sort of skill (weapon skill or abilities. Does not matter). Maybe quests.

#6 11 months ago
  7. zinc

Guys stop dissecting this. I swear it’s the Nerdcurse of the internet.

We’ll hype ourselves up so bad on these scraps of info, the finished product will just disappoint.

#7 11 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

Ewoks vs Goblins

I’m truly afraid of Destiny, as if they get the addictiveness of Borderlands 2 mixed with the Addictiveness of Halo, it could be a life killer.

Too many life killers are coming out in the next year or so, Star Citizen, The Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest Next, Destiny, The next Halo, The next X game, etc.

#8 11 months ago
  9. TD_Monstrous69

OK, whoever says that Destiny and Halo are the same games has no idea what you’re talking about. Because apparently, by that logic, having SOME similarities from one game (in this case; Halo [1 to Reach]), made by the same team (Bungie) working on something new (in this case; Destiny), makes them EXACTLY the same game. Sure, there’s some definite similarities between combat (both being an FPS) and character design, but saying they’re EXACTLY the same is just pure ignorance.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@10 Bungie pretty much *just* said it is.

Nobody said it was *exactly* the same! but that doesn’t change the fact that the core mechanics are so similar that the developers themselves fully admit the two games could be mistaken for each other if not for the change in aesthetic.

#10 11 months ago
  11. DrDamn

This comment is purely in the context of art style, not game. “…the artists…”.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Ireland Michael

@12 And yet every bit of gameplay I’ve seen so far makes it look like it plays almost exactly like Halo.

#12 11 months ago
  13. TD_Monstrous69

@13 And again, you’re confusing what is similar and what is exact. You’re really that mad that Bungie is making a new shooter mixing in some of the same formula that’s made them successful? I’ve been rather impressed by what I’ve seen, and what they want to do sounds interesting. But if it’s just not something that’s peaking your interest, well, that’s on you.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Erthazus

@13, Not really. They improved shooting mechanics. the fact that you can slide on the place is already a good thing too, so movement is also a huge part of the game.
    Your character also have some special abilities .

Everything else depends on the beta.

My disappointment on the game is that Bungie does not give enough information about Destiny’s Meta gameplay, world, quests info and etc.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Ireland Michael

@14 Twins don’t have to be identical to be twins. It’s just *too* similar for my liking.

I’m not “mad” about anything. These are just my observations of the game so far.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Hyperx64

Looking pretty cool Bungie! Halo nailed the Sci-Fi FPS feel anyways – which is as a perfect of a base to start with, as any.

#16 11 months ago
  17. fihar

@Michael
    Bungie has stated beforehand that while they fully intend to use their newfound creative freedom to good measure in the future they have admitted that Destiny might still find them playing to their strengths instead of trying to break new grounds.

Think of it as a transition for Bungie and not as a sign of them being lazy.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Nephilimator

Lazy

#18 11 months ago
  19. DSB

@6 Yeah, you know I share that disillusionment with gaming as a whole, and of course this is gonna be another safe, focus group approved attempt at mass appeal.

It’a shame that there isn’t much in the way of real creatives in the mainstream industry.

That’s harsh, I know there are great artists, but if their hands are tied, you get the exact same result as you would if they were all hacks. And that’s a shame.

I want to see games grow up and start challenging people, but instead it’s becoming this abominate East German gymnast, so smacked off of steroids and hormone treatments that the growth stops at 15.

… But then again, Destiny looks good enough to waste a multitude of hours with, so it’s not the end of the world for me at least.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Ireland Michael

@18 This is Activision. If this game even remotely takes off, they will have Bungie under their thumb for the next decade, churning out the franchise on a 12 month conveyer belt with functionally identical gameplay and ripoff DLC.

And then we’ll all be sitting around bitching about “that shitty franchise that keeps getting yearly releases and never bothers to innovate”… and isn’t called Call of Duty.

@19 Indeed.

The best looking game on my radar right now? Transistor.

#20 11 months ago
  21. polygem

transistor. basically the same game as bastion with swords and girls

#21 11 months ago
  22. DrDamn

My point is that what you are claiming they have just said is not what they have just said.

Game wise there are lots and lots of differences. Yes there are some similarities in some core mechanics, the experience and game design is very different though.

#22 11 months ago
  23. revolting

@Michael I have to agree with DrDamn, here, you’re claiming they’re saying something they’re not. It’s pretty clear that they’re talking purely about aesthetics, here, not gameplay.

If the previous footage I’ve seen of the game reminds me of anything (mechanics wise), it’s not Halo, it’s Borderlands. And I’m A-okay with that. Saying there’s no discernable difference between this and Halo is completely ignoring the loot system, skill trees and character progression/customisation. Which are the things I’m most looking forward to from Destiny.

#23 11 months ago
  24. pcbros

I don’t see a Halo clone myself. They just need to bring is to PC ;)

Destiny and Titanfall are in position to be huge multi-player games next year. Not shocking since they are being developed by the teams behind CoD and Halo.

#24 11 months ago
  25. Kreion

All Bungie games use the same aesthetics xD From Marathon to this, they are all angular, with symbols and stuff etc. In terms of aesthetic there point is kind of a moot one, since Desitiny was always going to look similar to Halo.

@21 – well…good luck turning an mmo into a franchise -.- You can pump out expansions but you can’t then sell those a full price – people just won’t buy them.

#25 11 months ago