“Only in Battlefield 4″ TV spot shows ludicrous stunts

Monday, 14th October 2013 11:08 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4 developer DICE has put together an “Only in Battlefield 4″ TV advert that shows gamers recounting stories of mad feats in the shooter. Watch it here.

The clip was posted by GamersPrey.

I recently appraised the Battlefield 4 beta and found it to be dull, but it still got me excited for the full thing. It’s out on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 from October 29 in the states, then November 1st everywhere else. Next-gen editions will follow shortly after.

What do you think of the game so far?

Via MP1st.

1. Pytox

Looks like micheal bay movie now :p

#1 1 year ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

Hells yeah…

Okay, I’ll bite. I’ll pick this up on PS4. Still got my reservations but I guess it’s worth a punt…

#2 1 year ago
  3. Biscuitpants

who knew M. Night Shyamalan played games

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 that’s the trailer’s big twist. That, and they’re all dead.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Timurse

This is the first good MP trailer of BF4. All the previous ones felt like a huge step backwards compared to the ones made for BF3.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DSB

So it’s Battlefield 3 except it has oceans, and big stuff comes crashing into the map.

Cool.

So when is Titanfall coming out again?

#6 1 year ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

Meh.

#7 1 year ago
  8. yeoung

@6:

It also has bigger maps, tablet gameplay functionality, 32v32 matches and what from what I hear a vastly improved weapons upgrading system.

Oh and jetskis. It has jetskis.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Fethennour

Jetskis ? I’m in.

#9 1 year ago
  10. DSB

@8 BF3 had 32v32.

Tablet gameplay functionality… I honestly can’t believe you just used that as a selling point. Ell oh ell.

I was pretty excited by Commander mode, but considering that a lot of people are just gonna be sitting around with their tablets, it too seems more like a gimmick than anything else.

They won’t be able to type to people, and if they aren’t talking, then they aren’t commanding. And that might not be a problem in the US where people actually talk on their mics in games, but in Europe it’s gonna suck, bad.

#10 1 year ago
  11. PhilipColeman

#11 1 year ago
  12. Doppleganger

You’re the director so if you dont like Michael Bay movies then hide in the shrubs or run around in circles.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Bloobat

@DSB come on, does Titanfall really look that good? Personally I really don’t see it as a system seller, I’ll probably buy it on PC at some point but I am definitely in no rush to play it.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dave Cook

@13 Yes.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Panthro

So Titanfall is Call of Duty with jetpacks and mechs…

Excited more about Titanfall than I am about BF4 though, I just dont get your point.

#15 1 year ago
  16. FatalTee

Titanfall looks good? yes yes yes.
    Will I buy? Is there a demo? Not sure about shooters anymore.

BF4. Ehh… no really no. I probably just got disinterested by lack of humor and lightness from EA-DICE. Yes, some spraypaint and skidloader, but overall… It lacked it. Perhaps it is the dodgy hit detection system or just plainly wrong designed maps, or just the fact that I became far too aware of wrongs of militarism and hated games like Battlefield and Call Of Duty for spread vastly unrealistic propaganda about US, Russia and war/combat in general.

I regressed to CounterStrike. Then I realized it was not the propaganda I dislike, it was gameplay. I mean, the propaganda/ideology of BF and COD nowadays is terrible thing for young people to somewhat internalize, but from standpoint of a player of a game, I hate those focus group design games. There is no soul to it. Basically BF4 is ((((BF3 – 10%blue) + 10%BFBC2 movement/weapon holding) + 10% movement change speed) + better spawn screen (closer to BF2)) + 10% better hit detection (still using wrong hit detection system)) + 5% better map design). Now we see what of that features survive from Beta to Full (as BF3 example of terrain destruction and 3D scopes once showed).

But again. I tried this demo..er Beta, for some sub 6hrs… and… they still lie in trailers (you die immediately in scascraper).

To return to my point — rather some lighter self-awarer Titanfall with giant robots (even though I still am afraid of focus group gameplay, this bland vastiness of nothingness) which is both more starking example of huge force and terribly funny and aweinspiring sight than myth-of-US-solidier supporting, world ignoring piece of cash cow.

Now that is in short, what I think about BF4.

#16 1 year ago
  17. DSB

@13,15 Time will tell, it’s all just impressions at this point, but from where I’m sitting, Battlefield has turned into a gimmicky tech demo that doesn’t really give much of a shit about gameplay.

It definitely has a lot of potential, and it’s not bad in any sense, but DICE are really looking at what they can put on the box, rather than making it all fit together in a rewarding, deliberate way. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Titanfall seems like the polar opposite to me. Instead of trying to “REVOLUTIONIZE EVERYTHING” with tech that really does nothing on its own, they’re designing a shooter based on fundamentals, where everything they put in there seems to have been added with the deliberate intention of giving you a very specific experience.

That includes the jetpack and the wallrunning, but more importantly the mechs. There are gonna be amazing gunfights centered around them. You can hardly say the same thing about Battlefield.

I’d love Battlefield, if it could actually provide me with a coherent experience – Like having armor supported by infantry rather than everybody just fucking about and doing their own thing, which is what the game is now. In Titanfall you want to be close to the mech, either to take it down or hide behind it, and that’s really pretty clever.

Based on that, I’d say Titanfall looks a lot more involved and intelligent. Those are just my 5 cents. I couldn’t care less about the smoke and mirrors, or the hype noise, I’m here to play.

#17 1 year ago
  18. RocknRolla

Change the vehicle controlls back ffs! and remove that command center with go go go and shit”!! I got headset for that shit! BF3 all the way!

#18 1 year ago
  19. ChandlerL

@3, Yeah he’s got a sixth sense about which games are going to be good.

#19 1 year ago
  20. ctankep

@4 Wocka -wocka .!

“I was running alone amongst big grey blocks.
    There was no -one on th’ streets ., no Sunday shoppers.
    Then a pre -scripted event fell on my head.”

But seriously th’ design in BF4 seems pretty awful so far. Th’ dynamic events in “Shanghai” an’ “Paracel Storm” already feel old just watching them in videos because they’re trying very hard to create a sense o’ drama outside o’ th’ action. Feels like th’ brilliant people who help _d make “BF2″ & “Bad Company” such great games have left DICE as now you’ve got former community managers promoted to production roles instead o’ people who know how to design gameplay.

By that I mean being able to balance th’ open -ness o’ a map with th’ player cap; to allow different means an’ tactics to rush flags so that it’s not th’ same cluster fuck each time. “BF2″ an’ “Bad Company” had exceptional MP level design especially with th’ likes o’ “Arica Harbour” ., “Oasis” & “Isla Innocentes” an’ how they progress through different terrain. ., elevation while keeping things focused. In short give players th’ means to express themselves in different ways instead o’ trying to provide a homogenous experience.

With good level design you empower players to create those “wow” moments instead o’ subjecting them to rote dramatics. But then again th’ people with th’ pockets think this is a marketing war more than anything else an’ what better than to blow tessellated gold dust in your eyes. Though overlooked “Bad Company” still has some o’ th’ greatest MP maps I’ve ever played ., just too bad they couldn’t get to 60FPS for that one.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Jemie

when is Titanfall coming out again?

#21 1 year ago