Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC “looking good” says Kojima, posts gameplay image

Wednesday, 2nd October 2013 11:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is still in development on PC, and it’s looking good, according to Hideo Kojima. He’s also tweeted out an image of the PC build in action. Check it out here.

There it is. The image was posted along with the following tweet:

Kojima said, “Rising PC version looking good, even the shadow looks beautiful.”

We’re still none the wiser as to when this is coming out, but would you still like to get your paws on it? Let us know below.

Via Siliconera.

1. absolutezero

#1 10 months ago
  2. pcbros

Looks impressive… but I still want Metar Gear 5 on PC 8)

#2 10 months ago
  3. Megatron

It will be if MGS rising sells enough on PC.

#3 10 months ago
  4. loki

Hideo Kojima, do not disgrace yourselve
    PC port crap and fail anyway
    Only idiots will play Revengeance on PC and only total idiots will buy it

#4 10 months ago
  5. DSB

The graphics gestapo aren’t gonna be pleased with that shitty photo :P

#5 10 months ago
  6. pcbros

Do not disgrace yourselve Kojima, listen to loki, he knows first hand what idiots want.

#6 10 months ago
  7. CyberMarco

@DSB “graphics gestapo”

hahahaha LMAO! :D

#7 10 months ago
  8. Vice

Did he take this screenshot with his mobile or something…. Oh well, anyway can’t complain I guess, just bring MGS5 to PC someday. I don’t even mind waiting few months, let consolefags have their fun first…

#8 10 months ago
  9. KTF26

if you’re PC gamer try to support it on PC

#9 10 months ago
  10. YoungZer0

But are they going to fix the game?

#10 10 months ago
  11. Francis O

@4 MGS Rising sold like crap on the Xbox 360, less than 350K for a system with over 70 million units sold.

So why is the Xbox One and Xbox 360 getting MGS 5 then?

#11 10 months ago
  12. TheWulf

Who cares about graphics? Not I. I’m just glad to see it released on the PC, personally, as I always thought it was a neat kind of game. I can’t recall having any real complaints about this one beyond the colour palette being a bit flat, but that’s common these days, and it’s not nearly as bad as it could have been. Still, it’s a fun game! I’ll be picking it up.

I guess I’m an idiot, then. Happy to be an idiot.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Osric

Not releasing AAA games for PC right now is a wrong, wrong commercial move. Especially if not by Steam in the first weeks.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Pitts

That’s actually pretty cool that Kojima is keeping news on this fresh. Makes me feel like they actually care about this as a quality port, which is more than you can say for a lot of other developers.

#14 10 months ago
  15. DSB

@14 There are logistics to consider though. A lot of studios are probably busy juggling current and next gen versions. That’s a good three or four platforms depending on how you view it.

It’s never a good business move to avoid the PC, but of course it’ll end up as the odd man out on projects like Destiny.

#15 10 months ago
  16. pcbros

@16 – “It’s never a good business move to avoid the PC, but of course it’ll end up as the odd man”

This is an unfortunate truth.

I think PC gaming needs a “reboot”. We need to change people’s view of gaming on their computer. The average person when they think of PC gaming, a geek playing MMO games comes to mind. Others think it’s too complicated or too expensive.

Valve is hopefully on track to fix some of these problems.

1. If the Steam Machine is well marketed, it could change PC gaming’s image. Just like Apple made computing on a Mac “cool”. They need to show people playing popular games.

2. SteamOS will address people’s fears that gaming on the PC is too complicated. SteamOS is built around “Big Picture” and is a simple OS designed to work around a controller (a la the Xbox Dashboard and Sony XMB).

3. Finally, Valve needs to TRY and address the pricing issue. Very few people will pay $900 for a gaming PC, when they can score a $400/$500 console. But with Valve knowing that Steam Machines will be marketed as gaming systems and not every day multiple-use computers, they have to realize that they can’t price the Steam Machine at the same price point of a comparable Windows desktop. They would be foolish to think otherwise.

It’s an uphill battle, but hopefully it’s a battle then can win.

#16 10 months ago
  17. TheWulf

Pretty much what I’ve been saying all along, yeah. Plus, it’s annoying that people ignore some of the genuine strengths of the PC in favour of entirely cosmetic and shallow ones. I don’t understand this fetishistic following when it comes to graphics — and that’s all that the next gen is about, too. I think that an obsession with graphics has lessened gameplay.

You can look at some older games and note that the AI is far superior to pretty much anything in the mainstream today. The original Gothic is a lovely example of that, really. I’d prefer to see game mechanics, AI, emergent gameplay, and different forms of storytelling and interactivity in games become more prevalent rather than just oh hey, better graphics. Honestly, who cares about graphics?

I still play games from the ’80s, I certainly don’t. There are games out there which are still as fun today as they were back when they were released. I’ve been playing Ultimate Spider-Man lately for the PC and having a blast with it. Sure it looks a bit dated — so? It’s still a fun game.

I suppose this is why my interest has shifted towards the indies, as they’re doing what I want in regards to interesting gaming experiences. Games like Shelter, Gone Home, The Swapper, and Beatbuddy being fairly obvious examples. And then there are games which remind me of the very unique styles of game we’ve lost, like Spud’s Quest, Shadow Warrior, and so on. I’m even fond of the games that ape Portal, such as Magrunner, because we honestly need more good story-based games that ape Portal, not less.

That’s what I see as the purpose of the PC — being an open development platform, it’s a place for people to use as a testbed for crazy new ideas, for sheer novelty and uniqueness, rather than retreading the same ground or being all about self-imitation to appeal to the mainstream.

I wish more people looked at the PC that way rather than as hey, better graphics.

#17 10 months ago
  18. pcbros

@18 – The problem is the image pc gaming has and the cost. Everyone thinks you need to upgrade your video card every 1-2 years to play games. I can still play Batman Arkham City on my PC with a 9600GT and it still out performs the Xbox 360 version.

Hopefully Valve has enough manufacturers supporting the Steam Machine and along with Nvidia they can cut the cost of PC gaming.

#18 10 months ago
  19. DSB

The sales of parts for gaming PCs is way up though, even while the rest of the PC market is in fullscale decline, so actually I think the gaming PC is better than ever.

The “problem” in getting publishers to favor the platform is the same as it’s always been – Perception. You see how much damage the ghost of piracy did. Piracy was never ever in any real danger of making the PC unviable for business if you just looked at the numbers, but somehow that became the “story” everyone was telling themselves.

It was a bogeyman.

Ubisoft actually had this crazy idea that they could sell a lot more on the PC if they locked their games down tight. So then they created the Ubisoft Online Services Platform, and within two years from 2010 to 2012 their profits on the PC evaporated by a whopping 60%. After which of course they began an epic retreat.

Within the same period, in 2010, EA were making more on every PC version they put out than they were on any of the consoles.

To me that just makes it very clear that no matter how much piracy truly “takes away” from the profits, PC gaming is still very profitable, and obviously Ubisoft completely misread the situation by assuming that they’d make more by bruteforcing piracy out of the equation, when in reality they just scared away the good customers they had.

If you want to sell more games – Make better games. And make the delivery as smooth as possible. We should really call that the law of Steam/iTunes, because those two clients are really hugely responsible for growing the market on the PC, and in music, individually.

#19 10 months ago
  20. pcbros

@20 – Great point about piracy!

I also agree that iTunes is to music, what Steam is for pc games. Hopefully the Steam Machine will be to pc games, what iPods are for music.

Indie developers however have really embraced PC gaming (mainly due to how easy it is to develop/publish for). Usually they are released for the PC (Steam) and then find their ways to consoles.

#20 10 months ago
  21. TheWulf

I agree about the indies. That’s why I’d say upon getting a PC, rather than checking out how much better a console game looks (which plays just as well on a console, regardless), to instead take a look at the indie offerings and to find out what mods can do for your game collection instead.

That’s the message I try to get out there. Only boring elitists think that PC gaming begins and ends with improved hardware. Since the ‘master platform’ for many mainstream offerings are the consoles anyway, it’s not going to make much of a difference how much better the PC is.

But there are gaming experiences on the PC that you just can’t find anywhere else, due to the unique nature of the platform.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Pitts

@DSB- True. I’m not trying to make an argument for the second coming of PC gaming or anything, though it is my preferred space right now.

It’s however nice to *feel* like a PC port will get some proper attention after so many bland ports from console developers. A few words from Kojima will do that!

That said, I hope the game will really receive proper attention!

#22 10 months ago