Watch Dogs requires install on Xbox 360, ships on two discs

Tuesday, 1st October 2013 09:55 GMT By Dave Cook

Watch Dogs developer Ubisoft Montreal has confirmed that its hack–happy sandbox game will require an install on Xbox 360. Next-gen can’t come soon enough.

Speaking with Videogamer, Watch Dogs creative director Jonathan Morin said, “Yes, there are two discs. It’s the same thing as GTA [5].”

ShackNews adds that the install is 8GB, but I suspect that’s just guesswork based on how large GTA 5′s install file was. We’ve asked Ubisoft to clarify this.

Watch Dogs hits Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, PC & Xbox One on November 22. It’s also coming to PlayStation 4 on November 29.

1. pukem0n

i install every game on the hard drive anyway, so that’s really not a big deal anymore.

Next Gen will propably have this too

#1 12 months ago
  2. Telepathic.Geometry

I thought older 360s didn’t have a hard-disk? Is that right, or am I mixed up?

#2 12 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 They do yeah. My slim has a 250GB HDD

#3 12 months ago
  4. Fin

Mine from 2008 has a 20GB 8)

#4 12 months ago
  5. Judicas

@3 hey Dave, I think you may have forgotten every single xbox one game has to be installed

#5 12 months ago
  6. freedoms_stain

@2, they had them, but they became pathetically small as this generation unfolded.

#6 12 months ago
  7. DrDamn

XBox 360 Arcade units from the beginning did not have a hard drive. You could get by with a memory card or buy a separate HDD. That was the equivalent of the current basic models with some built in flash memory. I know because an Arcade unit was the only one I could find when I got mine, had to buy a HDD separately.

There were special signs up in supermarkets for GTAV warning 360 owners they needed space to install.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Edo

Again http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/27/watch-dogs-on-current-gen-requires-mandatory-install-comes-on-two-discs/

#8 12 months ago
  9. Dave Cook

@5 I haven’t forgotten, this story is about Xbox 360 ;)

@8 Yep, but I’m hoping to update this later with clarification of the 8GB claim. If Ubisoft decline, I’ll nuke the story.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Judicas

@9 Then why put “Next-gen can’t come soon enough.” to imply that you don’t have to install it on Next-gen then ?

#10 12 months ago
  11. Dave Cook

@10 sigh…Hard drive space mate, hard drive space :)

#11 12 months ago
  12. Judicas

@11 ah ok, im worried about next-gen hard drive space moreso then this gen because games are going to get bigger (im guessing) and the drives should have been 1tb (just my opinion).

#12 12 months ago
  13. Dave Cook

@12 It’s a valid concern certainly. Today 8GB, tomorrow 50GB (if reports of Killzone’s file size are to be believed). We’ll need TB drives soon enough.

#13 12 months ago
  14. VibraniumSpork

So we know you can replace the HDD in the PS4…what options does XB1 offer in that regard? Can you attach an external HDD through USB or some such?

#14 12 months ago
  15. DrDamn

Yep. USB3.0 external storage is supported for all uses of internal storage on X1. Easy option – though another box under the TV for those that care. Internal drive you can’t mess with.

#15 12 months ago
  16. Silent Killer01

MS really screwed us with the hard drives on the Xbox 360(overpriced). I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens again with the Xbox one see that it has no way to upgrade the internal hard drive.

@15 But we have very little details about that and what kind of restrictions it will have if any (Xbox 360 was limited to 32GB).

#16 12 months ago
  17. VibraniumSpork

@15 Cool! I’m guessing some of the external HDDs you can get are positively credit-card sized nowadays though right? Haven’t looked in a while…

This kinda thing really makes me eager to see someone take apart an XB1 come launch day to see what’s in that mahoosive casing. The power brick’s separate, Kinect does it’s some of its own thing within the camera, there’s evidently no space allotted for new/bigger HDDs…what’s bulking it out, unsold Microsoft Point cards and old Chinese newspapers?

#17 12 months ago