Half-Life 3 development teams spotted on Valve database – report

Tuesday, 1st October 2013 23:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Half-Life 3 believers will be delighted to learn of an alleged minor security breach outing the existence of two Valve development teams working on the project.

According to Reddit users and Gematsu – a reliable source – Valve’s User Picker software was publicly accessible earlier today.

The software grants access to a staff database meant for internal use and is no longer available, but before it was pulled from public access screenshots were captured showing two Half-life 3 development groups.

According to these, the core Half-Life 3 team has ten members, with a further 46 in the extended team.

The news follows on from a European trademark for Half-Life 3, and will no doubt generate the same level of excitement.

Historically, these kinds of hints and clues have surfaced every few months since 2007, when the last core Half-Life product – Half-Life 2: Episode Two – shipped. So far, they haven’t panned out, and Valve doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to deliver. That said, it would be quite a coup for the company’s new hardware to ship with such an anticipated title.

1. monkeygourmet

I have a weird feeling that HL3 will be the showcase for the Steam OS and especially the owl pad.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Pytox

omg !!!!

#2 10 months ago
  3. DSB

Given how Valve works, it would be kinda absurd to think that they didn’t have an HL3 team.

Now would be a great time to start hyping it though.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Lounds

Brenna “two Valve development teams woking” woking! :P
    Cooking some stuff in their woks.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Brenna Hillier

@4 thanks!

#5 10 months ago
  6. k1llabeast

Half-Life 3 development teams spotted

Half-Life 3 confirmed

#6 10 months ago
  7. CaptPierce

I’m surprised people still give a fuck about this game anymore.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Diingo

This will be the reason why people will switch over to SteamOS. This game has the power to completely shift the industry towards Linux, thus destroying Microsoft once and for all. Wherever Half-Life 3 lands that’s where everyone else follows.

#8 10 months ago
  9. rrw

we all know valve is “developing” HL3

the question is when it released?

#9 10 months ago
  10. wildBoar

Cause we’ve all been caught in breathless anticipation for the last ten years right? It feels like a hype train that’s dead on arrival.

If it comes it comes, if it doesn’t, meh, moved on a looooong time ago.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Blackened Halo

WILDBOAR: thats only in your case, f. e. I have been still hyped for this game since episode 2

#11 10 months ago
  12. viralshag

Never got into HL and struggling to see what the big deal is. Outside of die hard HL fans, what’s the big difference between this and the millions of other FPS games people constantly complain about?

#12 10 months ago
  13. ctankep

Well for pushing innovation –
    HL1 emphasised storytelling through environment & gameplay / eschewing cutscenes / develop _d NPC characters an’ how an FPS could be shaped into more than th’ sum o’ parts an’ labour. Assuming Doug Church is part o’ th’ prototyping group perhaps he’ll finally get a chance to realise some o’ th’ ideas he’s been working on since 2004. Go back an’ read 1UP’s excellent article on “LMNO” an’ get excited for th’ return.

Fleshing out th’ relationships ., close -range interactions an’ making use o’ player input loops to ascribe psychology to a situation. Hopefully Valve can back up th’ blue sky stuff an’ thankfully th’ waters are warming before this near future crest o’ VR with full player embodiment. You know how we got shit games for th’ last 10 -years with barely an iota o’ fresh ideas? Well cry no more.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Edo

@12 Perfect symbiosis of gameplay and story…and graphics weren’t that bad either.

#14 10 months ago
  15. John117

I’m kinda hoping this will become the next Duke Nukem Forever xP Mainly because I’m so sick of the people praising HL2 as the best game ever..

#15 10 months ago
  16. Beta

Tried to play Half Life 2 last year, just could not get into it however much I wanted to.

Honestly, I enjoyed the Portal series far more than I enjoyed HL2. Just my personal tastes I suppose.

#16 10 months ago
  17. DrDamn

@12 & @16
    /raises hand sheepishly
    Same here.

I just figured that what they did was very innovative and ground breaking at the time, but actually experiencing for the first time a good few years down the line was a bit more clunky an experience.

#17 10 months ago
  18. xino

Half Life 2 HD Remake for PS3?
    Valved facked up the Orange Box for ps3>:/

#18 10 months ago
  19. Pitts

I’m still not convinced it’s coming until I see some action. :]

Given how utterly groundbreaking it was at the time, I’m sure it’s hard as hell to follow up HL2. So if it is coming, I expect it to be epically linked to their other current software endeavors.

You can’t have HL3 be just another game after nearly ten years!

#19 10 months ago
  20. bradk825

Half Life 1 and its expansions changed my standards of what to expect from a shooter.
    Half Life 2 managed to live up to expectations, which were high.
    What’s next? I can’t wait. I hope it’s truly, finally out of development hell.

#20 10 months ago