Battlefield 4: DICE aims for equal performance on both next-gen consoles – report

Sunday, 29th September 2013 23:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

An Eurogamer Expo booth attendant has said the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Battlefield 4 are intended to have the same frame rate and resolution.

The news comes via Japanese site GameSpark, as translated by DualShockers.

The site learned that the Xbox One version would run at 720p and 60 fps, and then spoke to staff at the game’s booth where it was told that DICE is aiming for the same performance for the PS4 version.

The site also noted that the details have not been officially and directly confirmed by DICE or EA; unfortunately, information from booths at trade shows can be a little bit unreliable, as demonstration staff aren’t always fully familiar with their product. The site’s language doesn’t suggest it spoke to a developer or permanent representative of the studio or publisher. We’ll see what EA can tell us.

Battlefield 4 is coming to PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One on October 29.

Thanks, Dragon246.

1. Djoenz

Can someone explain to me why it cant be native 1080p? Or does it have anything to do with it being a game on current gen as well?

#1 10 months ago
  2. Pytox

@1 cause it’s not PC :p

#2 10 months ago
  3. Hcw87

They want to lock it to 60fps i guess.

I’d have no problem if it ran at 40-50 FPS, but at 1080p. Noone would notice a difference anyway, except better visuals.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Iliad

According to some rumours on neogaf (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687837) they are actually downgrading the PS4 version (possibly from 900p) in order to make it run the same as the Xbox One version, which can only handle 720p. I really hope that’s not the case, as that would be a pretty shitty thing to do to PS4 owners.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Lounds

Fuck M$ slowing the competition down.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Playmaker

Bwahahaha comeon ponyboy. According to rumors … Waaaahhhh waaahhhh. Although I appreciate the link. I guess we’ll never know if the rumors are true …

#6 10 months ago
  7. Playmaker

Oh and enjoy dlc 30 days after I’m done with it. If you ponies didn’t bring this rubbish then I wouldn’t have to respond. Fcuk Pony for shitty online service and hacks. Enjoy it.

#7 10 months ago
  8. sebastien rivas

That is to be expected from publishers to take onto lowest denominator to pull a title on multiple platforms; therefore and again leaving true exclusive boasting the performance(s) of the better platform.
    Although 720p is not a complete surprise, it sounds like DICE did not have enough time to push some boundaries of the least architectural envelop, yet, 720p is far from being ugly unless on massive screens perhaps?!?!

And yes @5 I assume the same and I give you a +1 on that one. Harsh but nonetheless true.

@7 While it sounds interesting, I don’t understand your message, direction of your comment, nor point. Please use English…

#8 10 months ago
  9. pcbros

I think smooth online match making and gameplay > trying to squeeze a little more resolution. BF3 on consoles pushed it’s limits trying to get 30fps at the end of the consoles life.

BF4, a launch game, is pulling 60fps @ 720p from the gate. Let’s not be spoiled gamers and have a little patience.

If performance is so important, then like someone mentioned above, get a PC.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Doppleganger

It takes time to learn the system to take advantage of its power to its fullest. I think only Forza 5 is the only game to run at 1080p 60 frames as they knew the coding for 2 years now. It will just keep getting better every year just like the last gen.
    I think I’m more interested see the difference between this gen and next.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Phoenixblight

Multiplat developers have been doing the same thing this gen too. This is to be expected as you said, we will only see the performance shown off with first party.

#11 10 months ago
  12. derpachu

Rumors…. on SONYgaf. You believed it?
    Jesus Christ, you’re so gullible

#12 10 months ago
  13. bobnice

You know im starting to think all this focus on 60fps is really holding back 1080p resolutions and better graphics. I really would rather have higher graphics and resolutions with 30fps. 95% of all currect geb console games were 30fps and I have no problem with it.

#13 10 months ago
  14. Opalauge

on the Games Convention in Cologne it wasn’t even running on the PS4. that was a PC build. I doubt that this has changed on the TGS.

sarcasm or stupidity?

ever heard of someone complaining about the framerate of Halo? has always been 30fps.

#14 10 months ago
  15. sebastien rivas

Yes I agree, it is to be expected, but, does that make it right….
    I disagree with this policy from publisher going on the EASY road in profit for, well…, profit margin.

If performance is so important, then like someone mentioned above, get a PC.
    I agree but I also disagree in that regards that, NOBODY on earth forces DICE to pull their baby out at that precise date but Dice’s publisher. Optimizing is indeed a venture in itself with its load of hicups at least since 360/ps3 but does that mean Dice should be seen like throwing the towel and rush visually their title while we ALL know DICE for their sumptuous approach to visually stunning games? That is where the anger for some Dice lovers comes from!
    Now and again I don’t think a 720p would make a difference on my Bravia 46 inches but I assume owners of 55 inches and above may see the true nature, meaning, and difference between 720 and 1080.

I don’t know who the gigolo from MS that stated the chosen APU and architecture would be adequate but it truly does not start on a good note… and for what… Xbox1 has to be profitable…

Would not have been better off with an Haswell and a Kepler of some sort? I assume MS always had good relation with Intel… and game devers would likely not need to scratch their head and develop brain tumors while trying to find ways to optimize anything and MS would or could have been praised by the mass right of the bat such as a reversal of pre-order for example….

#15 10 months ago
  16. pcbros

@13 – fps > resolution… gameplay > graphics

@15 – The Haswell/Kepler combo would have been more expensive. People already complaing about the $500 price tag.

Also, Sony isn’t really all that better though. It’s theoritacally 40% faster, but then again wasn’t the Wii U about 40-50% faster than the 360/PS3? Yet I see no difference.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Phoenixblight

@16 SOmething we can agree on :P

#17 10 months ago
  18. _LarZen_

Nothing new in other words…developers do not bother to use time to optimize or take advantage of more hardware.

As the goal is to sell as many copies on both platforms.

#18 10 months ago
  19. pcbros

@17 – ;)

#19 10 months ago
  20. Erthazus

720p?

I can’t believe this. My mind is blown away with next gen consoles. 720p!?
    I guess these next gen consoles have horrible GPU because I can’t explain how you can do this at launch.

I could already run Battlefield 3 on my PC when it came out in 2560×1660 resolution in 20-30 fps and in 1080p you get 60+ frames and it was long time ago.

#20 10 months ago
  21. FuntimeBen

This is pretty disappointing, however remember this is a launch title. If they were 1080p at 60fps on day 1, they wouldn’t be able to sell us 1080p at 60fps for Battlefield 5 in 2 years time.

While I do like DICE, this does not fill me with anticipation about their future work on the consoles. Only time will tell.

This has, however, convinced me to build a gaming PC. I am becoming annoyed at constantly being reduced to a second-class citizen on game performance. If only Steam Machines could run 100% of Steam games… sigh.

#21 10 months ago
  22. pcbros

@21 – Why put the blame on DICE? Just about every developer is scoring less than a 60fps @ 1080p score.

Killzone isn’t hitting it and it’s a first party game. Also, Battlefield has insane destructibility and loads of vehicles.

Seems like 1080p and 60fps are going to be the new trending words for next-gen. It’s not all about resolution and framerate, did we all of a sudden forget about polygon counts (detail)?

#22 10 months ago
  23. FuntimeBen

@22 my point was not to slight DICE, but rather “if they can’t do it…” then no one can. While I agree that resolution is not everything, I play on a 1080p monitor and am nervous that the next-gen is not going to deliver on the expectation of true high-definition.

I’m sure the game will be fun and I’m certainly not “canceling my preorder” but it is a little disappointing.

#23 10 months ago
  24. sebastien rivas

@ 23

+1 same here, though only if they bring us some 64 players maps at minimum. That is all I play on Bf3, otherwise it feels claustrophobic.
    I even wish for some 1024 players maps ;) that would be cool. Playing a single map over a couple of hours in rush or conquest mode :)
    I believe my 46 inch Bravia should be ok for 720p stuffs.

I can dream, can’t I?

#24 10 months ago
  25. zersus

For me, it looks like:

“Well the xbox is shit, but EA have contracts with Microsoft, so we need to make the game looks shitty on the PS4 as well, otherwise Microsoft will start crying and bitching. Sorry PS4, you could do more, but not with EA products.”

#25 10 months ago
  26. Llewelyn_MT

@up: “PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of Battlefield 4 are intended to have the same frame rate and resolution” Learn to read. It doesn’t say the game will look the same. It says it will have the same frame rate and resolution. On my PC Battlefield 3 runs in 1080p at 70 fps average on Low and maybe 15 fps on Ultra. We’ll see what will be the difference between versions.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Iliad

@12 At no point do I say I believe it – I was merely sharing information according to the story and said if true then it’s disappointing.

@22 Killzone is confirmed at 1080p, 60fps (with some drop in frame rate after death or something).

While 720p may not be all that important to some, for me it is noticeable, I’ve got Panasonic’s top of the line 50″ 3D TV and the difference between 720p and 1080p is very noticeable.

I’m sure if BF4 was only 24 or 32 players then it would be 1080p. Considering the consoles are closer to PC architecture than ever before (with the PS4 the closest in that respect), making it easier and quicker to exploit it’s potential – especially from a PC-lead BF4 – I really expected the all-powerful “next-gen” to begin at 1080p 60pfs.

#27 10 months ago
  28. Xbone

next-gen my ass. Epic fail.

#28 10 months ago
  29. undermyrules

hahahahaha PC could do this on a 5 y old machine….so much for next gen can be stronger than a PC…end for the console generation is near.

#29 10 months ago
  30. viralshag

I don’t think most people here even know what the difference would be between 720p and 1080p. #22 is spot on, trending words just being thrown around.

All the games still look great.

#30 10 months ago
  31. cRAZYcROgUY

Really,why do we want or need “next gen” consoles?For shit like this?

#31 10 months ago
  32. CyberMarco

Battlefield 4 Beta available for pre-loading on PC through Origin for early-access members.

#32 10 months ago
  33. Gekidami

“but then again wasn’t the Wii U about 40-50% faster than the 360/PS3? Yet I see no difference.”
    Nope.

“Killzone isn’t hitting it and it’s a first party game.”
    But it does do 1080p at 60fps…

#33 10 months ago
  34. Max Payne

This is same thing as Watch dogs, They thought they could pull off 60fps but again they are developing for current gen + wii U + next gen + PC That’s not easy task for open world game.

#34 10 months ago
  35. Fin

I’m all for reporting rumours, but the route for this story is:

Attendant (not dev or PR or anything) at EA booth tells a Japanese website the information. Japanese website posts info, which is then translated by a second website. Then it’s reported here.

There’s waaayyy too many points of failure for this story to be reported.

#35 10 months ago
  36. Llewelyn_MT

Google Translator should be pretty accurate for the phrase “720p at 60 Hz” even for Japanese.

#36 10 months ago
  37. DrDamn

Yeah – and I think the original source is the weakest link in that trail too. Let’s wait and see what actually ships.

#37 10 months ago
  38. MetalX87

@33 Killzone single player is confirmed to run 30fps. Multiplayer is confirmed to run 60fps. Weird, I know. But they want all the detail they can get in single and the fast paced action in multiplayer.

#38 10 months ago
  39. pukem0n

rumors, it says rumors….gooooooood xD

#39 10 months ago
  40. pcbros

@27 & 33 – Killzone hits 30fps @ 1080p on single player, and a non-consistant 60fps in multiplayer.

Killzone: Shadow Fall: multiplayer runs at 60 fps “a lot of the time”, single-player 30 fps

So I guess it’s not Microsoft’s fault people aren’t hitting the glorious 60fps @ 1080p…

#40 10 months ago
  41. Riseer

Hey EA I won’t be buying BF4.Total BS if they don’t get 1080p or at least 900p for the Ps4 version.I bought the Killzone SF bundle so I have an FPS to play.

#41 10 months ago
  42. Riseer

#40 You know that GG hit 1080p/60fps MP,hell you typed it.1080p/30fps SP is fine since the series has been 30fps since the first KZ.I am waiting for you to make some smart remark about how boss a Pc is compared to a console.

#42 10 months ago