Wednesday, 25th September 2013 13:15 GMT By Dave Owen

Sales of Grand Theft Auto 5 may well have topped 15 million units worldwide, according to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz. He expects the figure to pass 25 million within the game’s first year.

He wrote in a research note sent to investors this morning: “Based on the $1B three-day figure Take-Two disclosed, we believe the game has already sold through at least 15MM units.

“For a game to sell 60% of its first year units in just three days would be abnormally high; we estimate that Call of Duty sells about 45-50% of its first year units in its first week at retail.

“However, for now we are assuming that GTA 5 sales will be extremely front-loaded due to high gamer anticipation, and will also have a shorter sales tail given the launch of next-gen consoles in November.”

Since its release last Tuesday GTA 5 has done nothing but smash sales records. It is the UK’s fastest selling game in history, shifting more copies in its opening week than the total launch week sales of all previous games combined. It came in above the previous record holder Call of Duty: Black Ops with an additional 250,000 sales.

It’s hard to imagine that anyone hasn’t already bought it, really.

Thanks, CVG.

1. VibraniumSpork

Obligatory: http://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/cm-44235-450f0aeb8d141a.gif

#1 10 months ago
  2. CyberMarco

The game managed to earn ~900$ millions and there are more sales to come and they still implement micro-transaction in GTA Online.

Capitalism in all its glory!

#2 10 months ago
  3. MrWaffles

Is this better than Vice City?

#3 10 months ago
  4. KAP

That doesn’t even include sales from PSN does it? Insane..

There will be those that want to be different for the sake of being different and say no it’s not better then Vice City but I’m here to tell you otherwise: It’s the best GTA game Rockstar Games have ever devised.

No, it’s the best game Rockstar have ever devised!

I’m 70hrs in and the endgame content is INSANE, there’s content and story that’s so hidden away only the core gamer will see.
    They could of released all that in DLC but no.

Dude, buy the game… You can fly jumbo jets into buildings for fuck sakes!!!

#4 10 months ago
  5. VibraniumSpork

@4 “Dude, buy the game… You can fly jumbo jets into buildings for fuck sakes!!!” – The FBI will be breaking your door down in 3, 2, 1… ;)

#5 10 months ago
  6. MrWaffles

@4 Can you flight a jumbo jet for 7 hours and land safety during the night using only the on-board indicators?

#6 10 months ago
  7. Cobra951

“It’s hard to imagine that anyone hasn’t already bought it, really.”

Imagine a bit harder. :)

I will be buying it, no question. I wasn’t sure when, but now I have a goal: after the first patch, now that I know it needs one for garages (at least). Gotta be able to save cars.

Thinking a bit, ($1 billion)/$60 = 16,666,667 copies (rounded). Factoring in the higher prices in some countries may bring that number down closer to the 15 million mentioned in the story. Either way, that’s one huge number of copies sold through in 3 days. Is that real, or is it part of the hype? Has anyone even tried to verify it independently of Rockstar’s or Take Two’s press releases?

#7 10 months ago
  8. mistermogul

@3 – Yes I think it’s better in every way to Vice City, except for the radio stations…

#8 10 months ago
  9. TheBlackHole

People will vote with their wallet – they will spend money and justify the decision.

The world is changing and will move along without us if necessary. Let’s not become our parents and start saying ‘back in my day…’

#9 10 months ago
  10. CyberMarco

@9 If you haven’t noticed the world is getting worser and worser as years go buy and yeah “back in my day” still applies.

Take a look at my thread “Food for thought” and you’ll see what I mean.

Also, even though the majority of consumers doesn’t give a shit, it doesn’t mean that me or anyone else who despise these tactics can’t say a word about it.

Imagine if we were so tolerant for other things in life, like free education and health-care etc. Oh wait…

#10 10 months ago
  11. DSB

@9 The parents thing is such a mindlessly relativistic strawman. Not all progress is good progress.

#11 10 months ago
  12. sg1974

“GTA 5 sales pass 15 million units, may sell 25 million in first year, suggests analyst”

I’ll just add this to my list of reasons to die.

#12 10 months ago
  13. TheBlackHole

“If you haven’t noticed the world is getting worser and worser as years go buy”

I don’t even… I have no words.

#13 10 months ago
  14. CyberMarco

I meant from a mass consuming/consumerism point obviously… -.-

#14 10 months ago
  15. pukem0n

he’s trying to win arguments with patronising your grammar and intelligence whilst he has none it seems.

anyways, the game is slightly above average for me.
    nothing will ever beat San Andreas sadly.

Although Trevor really is kind of fun ;)

#15 10 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

@14 Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything.

#16 10 months ago