GTA 5 crashing older Xbox 360 consoles – report

Monday, 23rd September 2013 00:35 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Multiple user reports suggests older Xbox 360 models aren’t coping very well with Grand Theft Auto 5.

A series of forum posts and support requests collated by Kotaku suggests Xbox 360 consoles made or refurbished between 2006 and 2008 aren’t up to the task of running GTA 5, with freezes and crashes occurring after quite short play sessions.

Some users hypothesise that the issue is related to smaller hard drive sizes, but it seems to be affecting those who have replaced their original HDDs with larger ones, too. Users have tried deleting and reinstalling the game, installing just one or both discs, and installing the discs to different locations, but with little success.

Rockstar has not issued a statement to press on the matter, although forum chatter suggests it is aware of the issue and hoping to find a patchable solution.

In the meantime, Xbox Support recommends the following rather occult-sounding installationprocess, which has worked for at least one user:

1. Delete all GTA 5 game data.
  2. Clear system cache three times.
  3. Delete marketplace data from storage system items.
  4. Unplug console for three minutes.
  5. Install disc 1.
  6. Power off, do not insert disc 2.
  7. Restart.
  8. Install disc 2.
  9. Play.

GTA 5 totted up $1 billion sales in three days, taking the UK’s record for entertainment launches from Call of Duty. Previous record holders include Adele and Harry Potter.

1. Erthazus

Videogame killing a chinese crappy console hardware. Yeah, consoles. Amazing system.

Imagine if Angry Birds installation killed your iPhone.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hcw87

I’m on an old Xbox 360 Elite with the Jasper chip, no issues here. 120GB HD.

Also to the dumbass above me, do you think PC hardware is any different? It’s all made in China. Welcome to reality.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Chief Thunder

@1 now that’s just dumb… I’m a hardcore PC gamer and all, but that’s just stupid…people like you make all gamers look bad :\

#3 1 year ago
  4. Cobra951

@2: Thank you. Mine is a Jasper unit with a 250GB drive. I figured by older, they meant the defectively designed Zephyr and Xenon models. (Falcons get no love from me either.)

I laughed at that idiotic list of instructions too.

#4 1 year ago
  5. DSB

I’m not surprised. I just got to the submarine heist with Trevor, and sailing that thing is absolutely strangling my 360 slim. Ancient hardware and what not.

@2 Actually a huge deal of PC hardware is made in the US, Israel, Singapore, Taiwan and Germany, but it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference, because so is some of the console hardware.

I think most of the AMD fabs were placed in Germany and Singapore, so that’s likely where the Xbone and PS4 will be conceived.

As far as the assembly goes we really only know that the PS4 will be made in cooperation with Pegatron, so that’s China. Foxconn also has factories in Mexico.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Erthazus

@2, so far you are dumbass. I have plenty of hardware in my PC from US or Singapore. Every videocard from Nvidia that I had was made in Taiwan. When you buy your custom hardware you can choose your manufacturer.

funny fact though. I have a keyboard from Razer and it is made in US. Lol

In other words, my shitty Taiwanese videocard will work better than any console out there on the market.

#6 1 year ago
  7. xFreelanceOBGYN

I have an original white 360 from the first batch that’s still pumping strong 8 years later. I have a 120 GB HDD from an elite, though. I am at the final heist and have expirenced no crashes and very little minor bugs. My HDD has less than 5 free GB free, also. My friend has an elite 360 console and has had the game crash several times.

#7 1 year ago
  8. gameoholic007

Playing on my 640GB PS3, no problems here lol.

Sorry, had to rub it in a little lol.

#8 1 year ago
  9. dkpunk

@5 Same here on the ps3. Dipped down to like 10 fps while running around in that thing. Other than that no real issues so far.

#9 1 year ago
  10. xxJPRACERxx

@1 Yeah, because games on PC never freeze or crash…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Joe Musashi

Hmmm. Where are Units and Super3001? This is the sort of news they make a point of quoting.

JM

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lloytron

Xbox support recommend to delete your cache three times? Huh?!

#12 1 year ago
  13. mistermogul

@3 – people like him make all people look bad!

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

I thought that when I saw the headline, you mean this wasn’t sourced from a “News” post by Units? He’s normally so helpful with these information things. :)

Maybe he’s off time travelling again …

#14 1 year ago
  15. DrDamn

@Erth
    Which bits of your current PC are 8 years old?

#15 1 year ago
  16. AngryConsumer

@1 Your post is typical classic trolling.

1. First sentence is the bait.
    2. Second sentence is the get out of jail free card.

You are the ps3fanboy, definitely!… and this is your second account, you ungrateful sod!

It’s time to put the foot down and whack the account of this ‘Erthazus AKA ps3fanboy’. Before this narrow-minded assclown clog up vg247 web servers with his garbage postings.

#16 1 year ago
  17. monkeygourmet

My observation of your comments seem to have ‘struck a chord’ with you if you keep re-using them PS3Fanboy:

PS3Fanboy : “Cause of death was probably because of the low WIIU sales… RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi.”

Classic trolling 101.

1. First sentence is the bait.

2. Second sentence is the get out of jail free card.

“I said ‘rest in peace’ your honour…”

Now, if the conversation even opened up more than this, you could chalk it done to being provacative. Thing is, it never does…

#17 1 year ago
  18. TrickyAudio

For a laugh, I did install my copy on an original 360 as well. It sounded like a bomb going off in an elevator shaft. Even the desk it was on started to shake. Seriously.

#18 1 year ago
  19. AngryConsumer

@17 i guess my comment must have ‘struck a chord’ with you troll… because your own idiocy got hurled back at ya. i am not a ps3fanboy or whatever else you claim i am. i have stated many time that i am not a fanboy of anything(i own a pc,ps3,x360!), and if you read my stuff you will see that clearly. the forum post you link to i have no interest to participate in, its just bs.

#19 1 year ago
  20. fengato

Anybody still rocking a non-Jasper fatty needs to rid themselves of it quick smart.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Kreion

Even though it was recommended not to install it…good job.

I have’t got an original, since my 360 re-ringed at some point, but I haven’t gota slim or the newer model and mines been running fine with GTA 5 , the only noticeable problems have been the occasional fps drop and some late spawning.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hcw87

There is a big difference between ”Assembled in” and ”Made in”.

Parts may be made in China, but assembled in the US.

So, your comment still make you look like a dumbass, good sir.

#22 1 year ago
  23. VibraniumSpork

As a side note, I’m trying to get rid of an old Arcade model 360 at the moment (20GB hard drive and two controllers included) and I cannot sell the thing for love nor money. It’s seriously looking like I should just dump this thing at a charity shop…

#23 1 year ago
  24. Hcw87

This cose to next-gen, and considering it’s an old model, you should just give it away indeed. You won’t get much more than 20-30 euro.

#24 1 year ago
  25. DrDamn

That’s if you can find a charity shop which will take electrical goods – most won’t.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Moonwalker1982

I’m using a 360 Arcade, so quite old and aside from the game crashing when taking a picture, i have no problems at all.

#26 1 year ago
  27. VibraniumSpork

@24 Yep, I tried selling at £40 – no joy. GAME will only give me £10 (!) trade-in for the 360 itself; I think I’ll actually get more for the controller on its own in that case!

@25 Really? Dang…I should literally just put it on the pavement outside my house with a ‘Free to a good home’ sign on it by the sounds of it ^_^

I just imagined there’d be some hard-up kid somewhere who’s still rocking a PS2 and whose parents would have jumped at the change for a cheap 360. I guess the little fuckers are all on their iDevices now…

#27 1 year ago
  28. sepehrasadi

I nearly 75 persond do I have delete my save game or I can do any thing
    I had problems now but I really don’t want to delete my save plz help

#28 1 year ago
  29. sepehrasadi

I have an idea can I move and replace again my saves

#29 1 year ago
  30. game_on

Does anybody have experience with GTA 5 on a 360 with 20GB HD? I bought my Xbox in 2007.

#30 1 year ago
  31. jermzhi

2006 White Original Non Jasper (its a Xenon or Zephyr) Xbox here..have had to fix the red ring thermal issues several times, still running strong. Performed a hard drive swap spoof from a 10gb to a 260gb 2.5 that I found on sale for $40 a few years ago. Installed Gta 5 disc 1 on hard drive, selected an 8gb usb key when disc two demanded a drive and my xbox has been running the crap out of it without a hitch or glitch.

What I really want is for Rockstar to get to work on the PC Version, the PC Versions of GTA have always been better! Great game though so far. Good luck all!

#31 1 year ago
  32. rydog73

I have an old-school 360 says it was manufactured in March 10 of 2006……. Smallest hard drive you could get. GTA five has been crashing a lot on me I’ll get pretty far and then it will just freeze and I have to shut the system down. I probably have 300 MB free on the hard drive do you think that could be the issue since it’s such a small drive. It was hard enough to find the room to install disc one. Not sure what to do getting so frustrating it’s not even fun to play anymore

#32 1 year ago
  33. DMentMan

i have this problem, i did everything it said here, it did not work.

#33 12 months ago
  34. 360mark

Console killing pos. I have a v2 xbox 360 that has always run perfectly and cold. After 20minutes, mid-play, gta5 crashed and would only give the ‘open tray’ error.
    This console is just out of warranty also, so I opened it this morning to investigate. Disc drive lens is in correct starting position/clean lens/solid connections etc, the drive is just dead/bad after crash. I now have to spend $250-300 to replace my console 1 month from launch of next gen. I had character deleted 4 times by GTA online cloud servers, then it kills my optic drive!!! seriously R* wtf. This games final production feels rushed was not ready for launch and R* has given the gaming community a faulty product.

#34 12 months ago
  35. sg1974

What a fucking joke this game is. All that time and money and they still can’t make a game that works properly.

Rockstar have nothing but contempt for their customers. They should be ashamed.

#35 12 months ago
  36. SplatteredHouse

@28 save it on an MU? @31 Are you joking. The PC version of GTA IV was so poorly optimised at launch (still is, of course unpatched) that even cards way over the “recommended” specs were losing frames to unplayable levels. A wait and a botch, what a treat.

@12 They might as well recommend you tap your heels together three times and turn about, while chanting “there’s no place like home”! They aren’t going to be the ones to resolve technical problems with GTA.

#36 12 months ago
  37. ChunkyLover112

Just stop playing this sad excuse of a game. It’s certainly not worth crashing your Xbox for. Your ps3, sure why not? But not your Xbox.

#37 12 months ago