Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn targeting major three-monthly updates

Thursday, 29th August 2013 12:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn developer Square Enix is looking to release major content updates for its MMO every three months.

Speaking with PS Blog US, the game’s producer and director Naoki Yoshida said, “We’re planning on doing a major update every three months once the game has been released, and continuously adding large-scale content. Ongoing support for the game will be included in the monthly subscription.

“We’ve already begun work on the first update that is currently called patch 2.1 and will introduce a large-scale housing system, as well as “The Wolves’ Den” — the first ever PvP content in the series. Furthermore, the update will include new dungeons, a new daily quest system, new Primal battles, extensions to the main story, and loads of other new content to enjoy.

“There will be a significant update every three months, so everyone will be able to continue enjoying the game for a very long time! Of course we also have long-term plans to release full expansion packs, so watch out for future updates on those, too.”

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn has been struck by server issues since it launched on Tuesday. Square has since apologied to players for the hiccup.

Via Destructoid.

1. Hcw87

Three months? GW2 has new content every 2 weeks, content that actually takes two weeks to complete aswell.

Sub based games needs new content WEEKLY. New MMO’s especially.

#1 8 months ago
  2. viralshag

Yeah but no one plays GW2 so no one knows that! :P

#2 8 months ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

@2, shut yo mouth fool :-), if you still played you’d know it’s probably at it’s most populated now.

@1, every 2 weeks indeed, but they aren’t what I’d call major updates.

#3 8 months ago
  4. viralshag

@3, Haha, I’m only messing. It did look busy that ONE TIME I logged in with you. :D

I actually picked FF14 up on Tuesday but I haven’t gotten around to playing it yet. Definitely going to make some time tonight I think.

#4 8 months ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

@4, yeah I know lol.

I been looking into it, but I don’t really like traditional mmo’s, I can see myself quitting in the first month. Let me know if it’s any good though, just biding my time till ps4 at the moment :-(.

#5 8 months ago
  6. viralshag

@5, To be honest since Saturday I’ve been hooked on Star Trek Online. Absolutely loving it haha.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Lv01

@5 im not a big MMO player either, but the beta was awesome for this. im torn between picking it up now for PS3, or waiting for the PS4 version. good game!

#7 8 months ago
  8. TheWulf

Cryptic’s MMOs are frankly some of the best I’ve played. I implore you to give the subscribed version of Champions Online a go if you actually do like Star Trek Online. It kept me entertained for years, and it’s continued to be my go to game. I only stopped because I exhausted the content and I’m just so familiar with it that I can’t play it any more. That’s the only game I’ve ever done that with, though.

The reason for it? The game is fun. You need to go freeform and build a good character (this will help), but once you’ve done that, you’ll have a blast. I’m still so fond of some of my Champions Online creations, especially Benson the steampunk cybernetic werebear pirate bloke.

If you like STO, though, I really do think you’ll dig Champions Online. And try out the adventure packs and comic book series content when you’re there, too, as that’s all pretty damned great.

#8 8 months ago
  9. CycloneFox

@6: Star Trek Online is indeed a really underrated game. I love it too.

#9 8 months ago
  10. viralshag

The only update they need for this game is to let me make a character on a frigging EU server! Very disappointed so far.

#10 8 months ago