New Saints Row 4 dev diary explains what Volition was thinking with this one

Tuesday, 13th August 2013 19:02 GMT By Phil Owen

I can’t say what I think about Saints Row 4 until tomorrow, but I will point out that this new dev diary, which is heavy on talking heads explaining what this game’s deal is, does a pretty good job of summing it up. It actually is an accurate description what it is, and so if you’re on the fence about that purchase for when it releases next week this will be informative.

HOWEVER, this video does show the controversial Rectifier DLC weapon — you know, the thing you stick in people’s behinds — in action, so consider that before watching the vid.

1. drewbles82

You want to jump throw my hoops. Go back to what made Saints row awesome, the 2nd was the best.

Map: no matter where you went, it had a look and feel to it, you could tell exactly where you were in the game without looking at the map every 5mins. even at the end of SR3, i still had to look at the map, the city felt boring.

Activities : you removed some the of best ones from SR2 and gave us less and made them so easy. I never finished the ones on SR2 as some were just too hard but SR3, get powered up, everything is easy.

Gangs : the gangs were better in SR2

Respect : Making you do side missions etc to earn respect so you can do a mission instead of just letting us do all the missions we wanted.

Hitman/Carjacking : Was far to easy as you just showed us exactly where they were, SR2 had us exploring for ages.

Customization : You removed some stuff, like the crazy eyes, the fact i could have two colours in my hair, how you walk.

I like the superpowers stuff but why not make a whole new game out of it, give us back the fun we had from SR2

#1 11 months ago
  2. DSB

Yeah, it’s like they care less about the actual gameplay overall. The activities are way too samey now. I personally miss the bodyguard activity a lot, and the customization really isn’t on par.

I’d like to think that Saints Row The Third was the result of rushing too hard, but what I’ve seen from these videos it’s apparently meant to be arbitrary. The driving is lacking the physics to make it feel responsive, and it still seems to be a game about just blasting everything, without ever putting anything into it.

It was fun for the duration of Saints Row The Third, but it’s really pretty forgettable once you strip away the cool gimmicks. I’m gonna wait for a sale/slump.

#2 11 months ago
  3. drewbles82

Same, defo wait for complete edition on the cheap which will be next year when a lot are moving to xboxone.
    I miss fight club, insurance fraud, bodyguard, demolition derby, it felt far more open in SR2, tagged, collecting cds,that tv show one they did, the zombie game in your crib, singing to the songs on the radio

#3 11 months ago
  4. DSB

I’m pretty sure The Third had Insurance Fraud though.

My guess was that they just didn’t have time to do proper activities, so they went with the easiest possible ones to put together in a hurry. It’s all checkpoints and awarding you points for stuff that you’re already doing in the game itself.

#4 11 months ago
  5. TheWulf

A rather wise fellow named SolidSharkey once said that games shouldn’t be about the completely mundane, that if one wished to deliver a pizza in a car that felt real, one should perhaps go and get a job.

And I feel that rings true. There’s a reason that arcade racers don’t have cars that really feel like modern cars, and there’s a reason why Burnout Paradise was a game that felt weirdly like a platformer with oddly car-shaped people in it. It all comes down to the age old Rule of Fun. The problem is is that with an open world you have so much space that you can’t make every bit of it interesting, so you can either actually accept that and go with how boring it feels and hope that your players buy into it, or you can make it all about the fun.

I’m always baffled by anyone who’d think that GTA IV is somehow more fun than Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Amazing Spider-Man, Prototype, or the game on offer here. And that someone would actually drool over the feel of realistic hydraulics when going around a corner or somesuch. I can’t help but think to myself that these people must lead exceedingly boring lives, at least much more so than my own, and I can’t say that mine is exactly super-exciting.

I just can’t understand what kind of mind wants a virtual world where you can do anything, and… they choose to do bland things. It’s the same as the fantasy setting thing, really.

You’re in an amazing world, what do you want to do?
    Shoot some guys, and drive super-realistic cars around bland environments!
    … You’re in a fantastic fantasy world, what do you want to do?
    Uh. Be a hero, I guess. Save the world from the corruption and shit. That’s what heroes do, right?

And I sit here genuinely wondering to myself, with no irony or nastiness intended, whether the majority of humankind are simply born without the capability for imagination. Whether they are unable to create characters and scenarios from nothing, and if they truly do desire the most boring things possible, all the time.

GTA IV, Call of Duty, Assassin’s Creed… good grief. Could you get any more dull? There’s nothing fantastic about any of this, but that’s what I’m beginning to see as a commonality from the mainstream, the mainstream wants comfortably dull, simple, and boring.

Welp.

Sign me up for the game that has the mechs and the super powers. You’ll never make an open world game as interesting as one with levels due to the nature of it, there’s too much space to make it all interesting, so you might as well make it a playground to do fun things in.

Hrmmmn… Do I want to be Spider-Man and swing around a city on webs, or do I want to be some Joe Shmoe and drive around in a car which has realistic hydraulics?

I woooonder…

I’m vexed by people, sometimes. Truly vexed.

#5 11 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I’d like to segue off to actually discuss a little why I buy games and retro stuff more than I buy games from the mainstream. And it has to do with this.

There are a number of obsessions that just don’t sit well with me:

* The obsession of realism to the absolute detriment of fun. This goes from iron-sights and sniping to cars with realistic hydraulics.

* The effort to make everything as comfortably grey, desaturated, and soothingly boring as possible. Over-stimulating your weak-minded audience is dangerous, of course.

* The complete glorification of real world murder, with familiar real world weaponry, encouraging smacktalk amidst a toilet paper-thin plot that would only see the light of day in the games industry.

* The absolute glorification of the player as The One who has godlike control over the situation, and is destined to save the world from the big bads. Often a male power fantasy, with the manly men surrounded by women with boob-windowed clothes.

Colour would be nice. Not saving the Universe (and even being helpless occasionally) would be nice. Having other things to do in mainstream games than wholesale slaughter around the clock would be nice. Fun would be nice.

And this is why I play indie games.

I don’t play indie games to be hipster or contrarian, I play indie games because they genuinely do their damndest to buck age-old tropes.

Maybe sometimes I just want to explore and have an adventure, maybe sometimes I just want to solve a mystery (new or ancient), maybe sometimes I just want to go crazy and have fun with over-the-top things which couldn’t possibly exist in our reality.

It’s weird to see the mainstream provide anything imaginative or fun, and the moment it does we admonish it.

Oh, stop with this new and interesting shit. Give me something I’ve played thousands of times before, and don’t be too daring! It must only have minor variations to just be fresh enough, but still completely familiar! Give me game XLVII of my favourite franchise, and never a new IP! Never a new IP!

Yeah.

Gamers are their own worst enemies. That games are becoming ever more boring and unimaginative is because, essentially, this is what people want. People like being braindead couch potatoes. Fun takes too much energy.

#6 11 months ago
  7. backup

looks like fun game like borderlands

#7 11 months ago