Saints Row 4 Australian edition can’t co-op with international release

Monday, 5th August 2013 05:46 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If you purchase the Australian version of Saints Row 4, you won’t be able to play online with friends using the international edition.

The confirmation comes from the game’s official Facebook page:

“While we are very proud of all our different missions, we do feel that Saints Row IV on the whole remains largely the same without this single optional mission, and we also feel that you deserve to know what you are getting in Australia,” a post announced.

“Due to the changes we were forced to make, this version is different than the version rated by rating boards like the ESRB, USK, and PEGI, which is why it will be incompatible with those versions in co-op.”

The post notes that Volition and Deep Silver “would have very much preferred” to give Australia the same version as everywhere else.

Interestingly, New Zealand will receive the International edition.

As many commenters have noted, only the Xbox 360 version of Saints Row 4 will be region locked, so players could technically import it on PC or PlayStation 3 from New Zealand or, indeed, anywhere they like – but importing Refused Classification material has legal consequences and is certainly not recommended.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Aullah

Thats PRETTY BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 1 year ago
  2. dsr

I like how honest and upfront they are about this issue. It must suck having to cut your own game down, but at least they are giving their players some tips on which version might fit them better.

#2 1 year ago
  3. xBASSxMONSTAx

I feel bad for our aussie cousins. Not only do they have to pay more for there games, they get censored too, so they don’t get the full game experience.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Aullah

@3 … and they are cut off from the rest of the world.

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

After government censorshi… I mean, rating board forced them to butcher their game, of course it won’t work with international versions.

#5 1 year ago
  6. MrWaffles

Sad news… some censoring here and there is fine if the game must be sold.

I rather have access to the limited game than to no game at all, but the lack of co-op is just stupid.

Let’s see how long it takes for the servers to go ghost-town in Australia, if they ever get populated at all.

#6 1 year ago
  7. AwesomeGus

I live in Australia and dont view it as that bad, most of the people I play with are also from aus and when I connect to randoms, I connect to aussies. So dont stress guys, it’s not that bad

#7 1 year ago
  8. silkvg247

Ahh, thank God they forced the censorship, now their citizens can remain drug free and live in a little bubble detached from the rest of the world.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Sylrissa

This is why I refuse to buy this local, and getting it from EU now

#9 1 year ago
  10. Simmsy

If i import this from UK will my 360 play the game??????????

#10 1 year ago