Saints Row 4 is getting a Game of the Generation Edition

Friday, 26th July 2013 15:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Saints Row 4 is getting a Game of the Generation Edition which comes with all sorts of goodies, and is limited to 5,000 copies.

For $130 the edition comes with a light-up rotating display case with an individually-numbered plaque, a velvet pouch and all items in the previously announced Super Dangerous Wub Wub edition as well.

It comes with a 12-inch Dubstep gun replica, an 8-inch Johnny Gat Memorial Statue, and a pocket-sized Dubstep Doomsday Button.

Those who purchase either collector’s edition will also receive all in-game items from the Commander in Chief pre-order bonus, which include a Screaming Eagle that fires rockets out of its talons and can invoke the “Sonic Scream” attack; a limited-edition American-iconic “Uncle Sam” uniform; and a stimulus package featuring the ‘Merica gun.

Both editions along withe the standard game are available for pre-order in North America.

Saints Row 4 launches August 20 across North and Latin America and August 23 in the rest of the world.

1. unacomn

If it included a purple blazer and those swanky glasses as well, I’d be all over that baby… after I win the lottery, because that would probably be expensive.

I’ve been complaining for years that games have lost that crucial crazy factor that made it so glorious back in the old day, which is why I’ll do my damnedest to get this game on day one. Insanity deserves compensation.

#1 9 months ago
  2. melonbuster1

Lol.. they do over the top better than anyone

#2 9 months ago
  3. melonbuster1

@1 I agree

#3 9 months ago
  4. Lengendaryboss

Really? I can think of plently of other games that deserve this title than Saints Row 4.

#4 9 months ago
  5. hitnrun

As RockPaperShotgun put it, “If a trailer starts off with a West Wing inspired walk and talk, and ends with the American President telekinetically throwing a cosplayer through a neon sign, then by any standards it is a good trailer.”

This will be the game of our generation, without a doubt, until the next one.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Sadismek

@4 It’s just Saints Row’s specific over-the-top comedy and style. Not a good one (for my taste), but each to their own.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Mjorh

Game of Generation my ass! Laughed my ass off!

#7 9 months ago
  8. Hvitdverg

This is a fucking joke!

Saints Row IV is going to be mediocer at best.

GTA V = Game of this generation

#8 9 months ago
  9. deathm00n

@7, @8 You two clearly don’t know what Saints Row is about…

#9 9 months ago
  10. alterecho

You guys don’t get it. This is supposed to be taken as a humor and not seriously, like rest of the, over-the-top, action in the game.
    The PR team is doing a fantastic job IMO. Hope the game isn’t a let down like DN:F.

#10 9 months ago
  11. Hcw87

Humor is all well and good (Borderlands 2), but having anal-probes and dubstep guns is just embarassingly stupid. Only pre-teens or man-childs will find that funny.

Would be OK if it was a budget/XBLA title, but for a full priced game i just don’t see anything worth buying here.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Astral Frost

It’s funny because we’ve seen a number of games claim to be GOTY. Remember Two Worlds and Two Worlds II GOTY? (Yes, Two Worlds had a GOTY Edition before the Epic Edition).

So Volition is all, “oh yeah? We’re GAME OF THE GENERATION!”

#12 9 months ago
  13. TheWulf

See, the first time I saw this, the first thing to pop into my head was that I was mildly amused that they’re so obviously trying to troll mainstream types who take themselves far, far too seriously. And that this is going to fly right over someone’s head, making them angry.

And here you are.

Oh, don’t bother. They think that intelligence is linked to seriousness, and it very much isn’t. (Which is pretty much why any person with a decent amount of intelligence is as eccentric as fuck.) This leads to a circlejerk of pseudo-intellectuality where people pretend like they’re grown-ups, now. Even though they never show maturity when it actually matters.

You should just be amused by it. Because honestly? It is kind of funny.

For what it’s worth though, I agree. Let them have their emo-angsty characters in grimdark settings, with their pseudo-intellectual mixed messages. I’d prefer a game that doesn’t put up the façade, and besides, you can be meaningful without any of that. (See Botanicula, Bastion, and To the Moon et al.)

And once again we have a pseudo-intellectual begging to be taken as smart by trying to make a correlative argument laced with insults which only illustrate how incredibly insecure he is.

Except what our little specimen here doesn’t understand is that Borderlands is every bit as bad. Butt Stallion, guns that shoot lightning rockets, and… need I even mention Claptrap? Honestly, would you try and posit that Claptrap is somehow less ridiculous than a dubstep gun? I think you’d have to play with your ears closed to not realise that Borderlands 2 is always every bit as bad as Saints Row IV when it comes to being silly.

The only thing about it is is that I prefer Saints Row IV as I find Borderlands 2 to be too monotonous of a grind. I’ve often said that I love Gearbox’s world-building, but I wish their games could actually live up to that.

You’re not actually very smart, Hcw, or you’d know all this to be true. The act doesn’t become you.

Oh pseudo-intellectuals.

P much. It’s just designed to troll the idiots who’d actually bite.

B-BU-BUT I’M SMART ENOUGH TO TELL YOU WHY YOU’RE WRONG, VOLITION!

Of course, the idiots would likely curl up foetal if they realised this was the case, and Volition would be laughing it up. I wouldn’t blame them!

#13 9 months ago
  14. pukem0n

some of you people really lost their sense of humor in this dark and bitter world.

i pity you

#14 9 months ago
  15. Hcw87

Nah, we’re just adults.

Seriously dude, nobody takes you seriously after your posts about the ”Zombie MMO players”. You’re just a random dude with a big ass superiority complex. I don’t know why you have such a huge urge to try and prove people that they’re wrong.

Bottom line: Release this as a budget title, or it’s a no-buy from me. Way too similar to the previous game, and visually/animation wise there’s no distinction at all.

#15 9 months ago
  16. MidlifeAxe

Whoosh

#16 9 months ago
  17. DSB

Being a comedy doesn’t excuse lazy writing or bad jokes. Whether you choose to be silly or serious, you still have to actually put a bit of effort into it.

It’s pretty pathetic to try to make the argument that because Saints Row is slapstick, it doesn’t actually have to be good in any way. Bad slapstick is every bit as intolerable as bad drama.

That being said, I think Saints Row always had the potential to be stellar in terms of narrative. Interesting characters, good premise. They just never managed to put it together in a way that made sense, or didn’t completely throw it away to the cheapest clichés imaginable.

It’s the same with “Game of the Generation”. It’s “Oh, right” funny, not “Haha” funny.

#17 9 months ago
  18. Lengendaryboss

You read that? i couldn’t even begin to attempt ;)

@DSB
    This.

#18 9 months ago
  19. Armitage Shanks

Yes you pseudo-intellectuals,stick to your grimdark games with their operant conditioning and leave the truly cerebral experiences such as Saints Row 4 to those with the intellect to truly appreciate their genius,Wulf! defender of furry’s everywhere has spoken.

#19 9 months ago
  20. NeoSquall

@12, 13 Spot on!
    This edition is a bitch slap to all those GOTY-like collections of DLCs publishers throw for other games such as the Two Worlds series, which are by no means the “Game of a particular year”.
    I like this PR humor, Deep Silver is doing a good job at keeping up the mood started by THQ for SR3, although I hope this edition remains US exclusive, so I won’t be angrier because I can’t afford it for the time being, and actually hope my local GS will keep an unsold copy of the PC Super Dangerous Wub Wub Edition for me until at least early October :\

#20 9 months ago