Elder Scrolls Online: new footage & console talk inside

Thursday, 18th July 2013 08:06 GMT By Sam Clay

The Elder Scrolls Online lead gameplay designer Nick Konkle gives us a look at the cross-platform MMORPG in action, explaining how it was built for a control-pad friendly future.

Look closely at the TESO gameplay footage below and you’ll see self-explanatory control prompts; it looks quite a lot like Skyrim, doesn’t it? But Zenimax Online didn’t want to just strip down the controls and call it a day; the whole thing was designed as a new kind of MMORPG, where you have more on your plate than watching your cooldown timers.

The Elder Scrolls Online is coming to Mac, PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2014.

1. Aullah

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I lost every interest I had in this game. I hate when they make the game more dumber because of the console ports.

#1 9 months ago
  2. DrDamn

Yeah damn them for doing something different to 20 hot key bars and cool down watch. Pfft.

The worrying thing is more combat like Skyrim. That was it’s worst aspect.

#2 9 months ago
  3. silkvg247

If controller friendly means Mouse/Keyboard unfriendly then I’m out from the start.

#3 9 months ago
  4. TheWulf

Pretty much. I never saw the Elder Scrolls games as games that required skill, anyway. The Fallout 3 was just as bad, too, and it was only mods that fixed that game up by making it play like more of a skill-based FPS (which I thoroughly enjoyed more than the nonsense Bethesda created).

This is why I put such importance on having mods, but I digress.

The problem for me isn’t that it won’t have lots of buttons/hotkeys, I hate that too. The problem for me is that it’s going to be a combat system that isn’t going to require any amount of skill at all, and ‘difficulty’ is going to be created by enemies with bigger or smaller numbers rather than doing anything genuinely interesting (like having an interesting, skill-based combat system with enemies that have good AI).

To be honest, I’d still love to see MMOs which have the scale of the Elder Scrolls Online, but use say… spectacle fighter combat systems, or something like a twitch FPS system for their bread and butter.

Consider, which is better: Having a hotbar with 20 buttons, having Skyrim combat, or having Quake combat?

I’ll leave you with that.

#4 9 months ago
  5. TheWulf

On a different topic, though… it annoys the hell out of me that more MMO developers won’t do some things client side, or more things in instances. This would allow for twitch-based combat to work in an MMO. Oh, yes, having enemies handled client side would allow for cheating, but frankly… I dooon’t caaare. Does anyone? I don’t give a damn what other people do to have fun.

This is endemic of what’s wrong with the MMO scene, in my opinion.

#5 9 months ago
  6. _LarZen_

This is great news for me and probably many other PC mmorpg players. The sole reason for my decent PC gaming setup is to play mmorpg games.

Now with the coming XBO and PS4 it looks like open world games and mmo games are finally making a big push on consoles.

Elder Scrolls Online look’s great, but I gotta say I am super excited about what Sony Online Entertainment is going to show 2th august with EverQuest Next.

I know many are crossing their fingers for a PS4 version. That would blow my mind….

#6 9 months ago
  7. DrDamn

Not Quake combat, Demon/Dark Souls combat :)

#7 9 months ago
  8. lookingglass

That combat has been done before in MMOs and its terrible. To make two players, both in plate armor with a sword and a shield, fight in a meaningful way that looks good, is responsive, and still deep just hasn’t been possible or its very much not worth it gameplay wise to work so hard to implement. Now add a third player into the melee and make sure that works and is meaningful… No ones figured it out from either a gameplay perspective or from a tech perspective.

And I find its the people who complain about games being too simple who often get crushed and aren’t remarkably skilled at gaming. They are the people who can bash 20 abilities as they come off cool down; hardly skill. Put them in a 2v2 duel with 5 abilities and they’ll get stomped. Why? They’ll just mash buttons like usual and ignore timing, positioning, when to defend/retreat, when to attack/push, using terrain and environment, etc, etc.

League of Legends is a crazy simple game, but the skill level between the worst and best players is massive.

#8 9 months ago