Saint’s Row: future games will have “different direction”, says Volition

Monday, 8th July 2013 10:23 GMT By Dave Cook

Saints Row 4 drops August 23 in Europe, but Volition is always thinking about where it could go next. In a new interview the studio confirms that it wants the game to conclude the series’ characters and the Saints crew as they exist now, meaning that a fifth game would have to go in a different direction.

Speaking with GameReactor Saint’s Row 4′s design director Scott Phillips explained the studio’s thought process when fleshing out the game.

“I remember telling people: ‘I don’t know how we’re going to top this. We’ve got a mission on Mars, we’ve got a heli-carrier, we’ve got zombies. Where do we go from here?’” he recalled.

“But everybody took a vacation, we came back, started fresh, and very quickly we came up with: ‘Well we’ve got to have… let’s do superpowers. It’s something we’ve always been talking about. Wouldn’t it be great to run as fast as a car, or jump over a building, or be able to pick up somebody with your mind and throw them across the city.’

“Things started snowballing from there. You know, fighting aliens came out of that because we needed an enemy that properly fights you, and then being the President felt like the next logical step from being a celebrity. So it all sort of came together. We definitely have a mentality of like: ‘Alright, we did that last time. We’ve got to that, plus one. We’ve got to do better than that this time.’”

As the team pushed the boat out when coming up with Saint’s Row 4 concepts, Phillips added that if there is to be a fifth game, the studio would have to re-appraise the format and head in a new direction, “We’re definitely considering Saints Row IV sort of the end of that saga of this character and the Saints as they are.

“So if there’s any more future Saints Rows – which you know we always hope there will be, we hope there’s fans for future games like that – they will probably continue in a different direction.”

Would you like to see a fifth Saint’s Row game? If so, what would you like to see from the project? Let us know below.

Thanks OXM.

1. Bam007

Contradicting, but as a fan of Saints Row, it is dead to me. Yes, it took itself away from GTA and did its own thing, but when your new game is content from your previous game, I am a little worried and saddened.

I do hope to see it succeed and be bigger and better, but you killed an important, big character and never touched on it. I will end up getting a pre-owned copy of SR4, or doing an EB Games rent and finishing it within the week I have it.

No season pass for me this time.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lengendaryboss

I hope it goes back to its roots (SR1+2), i couldn’t care less if its a “GTA Clone”.

I was pissed about that.

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheWulf

I hope it doesn’t stray too far from what it is now. It’s knowingly a fun game meant for people intelligent enough to understand that. I don’t want it to be like GTA IV, I don’t want it to treat me like I’m remedial.

I know you mainstream guys love that, having plots which feel like they’re meant for preteens and all, but I prefer something that respects my being smart enough to distinguish a game from reality. I found GTA IV’s plot to be awful in that regard, as I’ve mentioned. I’m playing a complete nutcase but the game feels the need to remind me every few minutes that I’m a really nice guy.

GTA IV felt horrendously patronising, and that’s something that a lot of mainstream games feel like they do. I don’t want to be patronised by my entertainment. I don’t want that.

There, there. You just killed an old granny in the middle of that shoot-out, whilst cussing like a potty-mouthed idiot… but you’re still a nice guy, player! You’re totally a nice guy!

I had the ‘nice guy’ message crammed so hard down my throat in the first half hour of GTA IV that I just couldn’t continue playing it. I can’t enjoy something that believes that I’m a form of life more stupid than the average cat (and the average cat can be entertainingly stupid, as any cat owner will tell you). I don’t know, it just bothers me.

Plus, this move towards having super powers and aliens is brilliant. I’m tired of seeing normality being fetishised. This normality fetish is really just another way to patronise the audience.

There, there. We know you have a very small and slow mind, with a very narrow world view. You’re racist, misogynist, not very bright, and angry at everything. So what you want is to kill those people you hate in reality in the safety of a videogame. You want a familiar setting to act out your hatreds in. This is who you are, this is what you want, this is your power fantasy. You’re pathetic, but that’s okay, we’ll never tell you that.

This is why I’m such a fan of the indie scene and why I have little truck with the mainstream. The mainstream will always assume that, first and foremost, I’m not just of the lowest common denominator, but that I exist on some rung below that. That I’m unintelligent pondscum, barely aware, barely thinking, barely feeling.

But I’m not of the lowest common denominator. And Saints Row III wasn’t a game for people of the lowest common denominator. It was for people smarter than that, it was knowingly clever.

If they go from that to GTA, I’ll be very disappointed.

And if you don’t understand why Saints Row III was intelligent and why GTA IV wasn’t, then I pity you.

— Edit —

That aside, with all this talk of clever mainstream videogames… I’m now wondering when Quantum Conundrum will get a sequel, or if it will. I loved that game, as did my lady friend and my engineer friend. It was a very intelligent, very lovable game. I’m not sure if Quantum Conundrum was strictly mainstream though or indie, that’s a tricky one.

Magrunner seems like it might be a bit on the more intelligent side of things too, since I finally decided to pick that up. I’m not convinced about the story, yet, but the puzzles are pretty great. I honestly would love to see more Portal-inspired, well written games.

That’s what’s going around in my head, right now.

I want to see more Portal-inspired, well written games.

Sorry for the segue. I had to write something else because even thinking of GTA depresses me.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DSB

Wow, delusional.

@1 I don’t really mind them moving ahead from Saints Row 2, it was never a perfect game, but I think if you take something out of a series, you need to bring something else to fill it, and that’s where SR3 started to disappoint.

The gameplay was fun, it was whacky as hell, but it just went absolutely nowhere. It was like they didn’t have time to introduce anyone, or establish anything, or really string it together. A lot of bone, and not a lot of meat.

It makes Borderlands 2′s ultra-simple revenge quest seem like Dickens in comparison.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Bam007

@3 tl;dr :p

@4 nicely put. Other than achievements, I wasn’t interested in what was happening. I don’t think Volition were either.

#5 1 year ago
  6. fideos

Saints row 1 was the best so far, got too serious in 2 and 3 and dint get me started on the lack of multi player in 3! That was the worst mistake any game could of made.

#6 1 year ago
  7. SlayerGT

I liked 1 @ 2. 3 was ok. It had some neat stuff in it but nothing that would have me fire it up just to dick about in it like GTA. I played though 3, did the side quest, and had a decent amount of fun doing it..but that’s it. It’s not something I’ll go back to. I think the engine has something to do with it. My favorite thing about the series is that you can create your character. See them in cut scenes and all that. Probably one of the biggest reasons why I didn’t like 3 as much. The creator wasn’t as good as two’s imo.

#7 1 year ago
  8. johhnygat1266

I think you should make the boss wake up in a hospital bed and gat’s there and he’s like “well it’s about fucking time! You’ve been shot at, blown up but then when one crazy fan hits you with a car you pass out and we’re waitin here waiting for your lazy ass to wake the hell up.” Then you fastforward and you’re the boss’ s kid and it’s at the funeral but you’re like ten and that’s when gat like thirty years older walks up to you and says “I know it’s hard kid but you got to be strong and lead us. Don’t worry about it I’ll teach you everything after all I was your folks’ right hand man. How about we go get our picture taken as boss and mentor huh?” Then you create your character but its a kid or young teen and the gangs would be like fuck how can we get killed by a kid? And I think more voice options and I liked the body options on sr2 need more clothes you know stem it off that like it was all a dream

#8 7 months ago