Battlefield 4: DICE aiming for 64-players, 60FPS on Xbox One & PS4

Friday, 21st June 2013 10:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4′s PC edition is the benchmark developer DICE hopes to establish on Xbox One and PS4, according to executive producer Patrick Bach. He hopes to bring 64-player matches and 60FPS to your living room, and has discussed the challenges of the studio’s goal in a new interview.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Bach said, “We have a very complicated game with a lot of moving parts. We had to decide, yes, we will do this in 60FPS. Everything else is secondary.

“We know the game is great when you have 64 players and destruction, and if we could get what we had on PC for a long time in your living room with a pad, wouldn’t that be amazing? That’s what we’re aiming for.”

Bach stressed that while the PC version represents the “full Battlefield experience”, DICE does want to achieve a level playing field across all next-gen formats. He said that those playing on Xbox One and PS4 have a whole new level of chaos to look forward to in Battlefield 4.

He continued, “They [next-gen console players] will experience another level of chaos they haven’t seen before. 12 versus 12, you can keep track of quite a few people, but only so many. When you get to 32 versus 32, that’s when it becomes hard to keep track of the other team, when it feels like there are more things going on than just around me and what I can control.

“That’s the experience we always wanted to get to with the consoles without sacrificing the other core pillars of the franchise.”

Do you think DICE can manage to replicate the PC version of Battlefield on Xbox One and PS4? Would you like to see it happen? Let us know below.

1. Hvitdverg

This proves how much Infinity Wards “upgraded” Engine sucks.

They are doing 60fps with terrible graphics/ everything.

DICE is doing all of that, x 10 and 60 fps.

BF4>Ghosts

#1 1 year ago
  2. Aullah

So its not there yet. I mean its possible it wont be 60…

#2 1 year ago
  3. G1GAHURTZ

60fps sounds like a plus.

#3 1 year ago
  4. GrimRita

I dont see any reason why it shouldnt be possible. After all, both the Xbox1 and PS4 are just 8 years behind the PC in terms of tech. BF2142 would run on a pc thats of the same kind of spec the consoles are.

Still be crap though as you cant beat a mouse/keyboard

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fin

Think this and Watch Dogs will be the first third-party games I’ll get NG.

Eh?

#5 1 year ago
  6. AmiralPatate

They aimed for the best shooter ever with BF3. It turned out barely decent and a disgrace to the series. I’d say DICE aims even worst than me, and I can get 5 misses with a shotgun at point-blank range.

#6 1 year ago
  7. GrimRita

@7 the same was said for Bad Company 2 – those hit boxes were a joke but for action, it was a damn fun game, just annoying.

#7 1 year ago
  8. merrc

I do believe 32 v 32 would get too convoluted on console. I’d much rather see 16 v 16 with 60fps, and cross platform play between x1 and ps4. Why haven’t they done this??

#8 1 year ago
  9. MCTJim

Give me lobbies to move game to game with my friends..why is it so hard?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Kyle Jackson

I’m loving the alpha at the moment (when I can get on a server) The map feels absolutely huge, comparing to just watching trailers for it. The sound is great, love the feel of the vehicles, and you can press buttons to bring down the shutters on shops, and bring up/down electric bollards on the bridges.

#10 1 year ago
  11. livewired500

Believe it when I see it. How many game breakers *cough* PS3 input lag *cough* will be there for over a year. Never fixed the prone clipping bug in BF3. Will they shove out the door because EA’s arbitrary but strict release dates.

Not too much confidence in DICE right now. On the upside, maybe we get 128 player on PC. That would be cool.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Moonwalker1982

They said this during E3 too. They basically promised it. And the claimed the footage they showed was from a PC with X1 specs, i sure do hope that was true cause it looked insane good. 64 players @ 60fps sounds like a dream and hopefully it comes true.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Tavarish

Still no mention of definition so they are going for 720p60?

#13 1 year ago
  14. Max Payne

@13 Probably, considering this is their first game on next genconsoles, its solid result.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Tavarish

@14 Yeah, no doubt at some point we start getting glorious 1080p60 games when devs learn to tame all horsepower from next-gen into use :b

#15 1 year ago