Battlefield 4 PC will be optimised for AMD components

Wednesday, 19th June 2013 00:40 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Thanks to the PC-like architecture found in next-gen consoles, the PC version Battlefield 4 will ship optimised for AMD components.

In a statement published on IGN, AMD said the fact that its components are also found in the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One enables a relationship between DICE and the tech company to optimise the multi-platform Battlefield 4 for its parts.

“It makes sense that game developers would focus on AMD hardware with AMD hardware being the backbone of the next console generation,” the company said.

Earlier in the day, there had been talk of an exclusivity deal extending to all Frostbite games, but both AMD and EA denied this was the case.

“At this time, though, our relationship with DICE and EA is exclusively focused on Battlefield 4 and its performance optimizations for AMD CPUs, GPUs and APUs. Additionally, the AMD Gaming Evolved program undertakes no efforts to prevent our competition from optimizing for games before their release,” AMD said.

“DICE has a partnership with AMD specifically for Battlefield 4 on PC to showcase and optimize the game for AMD hardware,” an EA representative added.

“This does not exclude DICE from working with other partners to ensure players have a great experience across a wide set of PCs for all their titles.”

Battlefield 4 is due on PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 at the end of October and early November, with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One release dates dependent on hardware launch.

1. powerbuoy

I assume this will happen a lot in the coming gen. Guess I’ll get an AMD card next time.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

Gunning for the 30th percentile.

That’s cool. I think it’s fair enough to give AMD users at least one game that’ll work properly.

#2 1 year ago
  3. NocturnalB

I’ve always stuck to Nvidia cards for my own personal use, though most of my old customers used to go for AMD first.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Samoan Spider

@2 Lol, to be fair, almost everything works without issue. What would be nice is to have some preferential treatment for once :D

#4 1 year ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

They’ve got a point, think amd will be on the up through next gen.

Just as well I’ll most likely buy this on playstation 4.

#5 1 year ago
  6. silkvg247

I’ve always found the AMD drivers and config screens pretty sub par tbh. Even though I have gone AMD a couple of times I prefer Nvidia.

BF4 is currently a 0% chance purchase regardless, because the online web launcher of BF3 only worked 60% of the time and I can’t be bothered with such hassle just trying to get a bloody game up. I wouldn’t even mind origin if it simply launched the game (quickly) and from in the game I’d have the regular, sensible, easy server list / join mechanic.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Llewelyn_MT

I can’t wait to see all games optimized for multiple cores (any serious gamer has 4+ core CPU) and run exclusively on 64-bit Windows. This should be the focus of AAA titles at least since Windows 7 become the most popular gaming system. I was using Radeons for a while now, but I’m planning to get NVidia next for one simple reason: PhysX. Now that it’s on consoles it’s bound to gain a foothold.

#7 1 year ago
  8. sh4dow

As I recently got my first AMD card, I am obviously happy to hear that – even though I have played BF3 for maybe two hours…

Drivers suck, yeah. Everything easy with nvidia (custom profiles, downsampling) seems to involve major hurdles with AMD. On the other hand, I’ve had issues with nvidia in the past that AMD is not supposed to have.
    Like color profiles not being used when playing games or the card being artificially locked down for some professional applications, so that you have to pay more money for a professional card. And a second computer, obviously, since obviously the professional cards suck for gaming. And then of course there are some professional applications where the professional cards deliver worse performance than the consumer cards… AHHH!! It also never fucking ends with nvidia. So… I figured I’d give AMD a shot for once and see how many hairs they will make me rip out.

#8 1 year ago
  9. bf4beta99

An announcement on twitter said BF4 Beta was released so I looked for more info and found out that anyone can get beta http://freebattlefield4.net

#9 1 year ago