Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn beta nets 676 lovely screenshots

Saturday, 15th June 2013 21:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

With the Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn beta now open to PS3 players, a beta participant has posted 676 screens from phase three on Flickr. You can have a look at the massive assortment through here. Final Fantasy is out on PC and PS3 in August and will release on PS4. Thanks, AGB.

1. Djoenz

Wish I had a beta code. I registered today way too late!

#1 10 months ago
  2. Toastrules

I got into the Ps3 version… It’s actually really nice

Cross-gameplay between PC and Ps3 is just an added bonus

#2 10 months ago
  3. Clupula

I’m actually surprised at how much I like it. I am only at level 15 and I’ve probably put in about 8 hours. I am so glad I got a lot done last weekend, because this one is going to be very unproductive. But, yeah, I’m surprised to say I’m actually loving it.

#3 10 months ago
  4. POOP CRUSTY

Any way to get in it this late? For either PC or PS3?

#4 10 months ago
  5. dkpunk

Yeah it looks and plays very well so far on the ps3. I hit lvl 12 last night and loving the game. The Fate system is really fun. Thinking I’ll preorder it.

#5 10 months ago
  6. ivycrew707

Great game so far, pre-ordered mine already..only level 13…was a pain in the ass to download tho but loving, love what they did with the controls…hoping they let us keep our progress tho

#6 10 months ago
  7. Toastrules

@6 Sorry bro… They’re clearing all progress made in “Phase 3″

Phase 4 they’ll start actually becoming permanent

#7 10 months ago
  8. Clupula

@6 – This phase, I recommend starting out in different classes and playing until, say, level 10-15, so you can get an idea of the different areas in the game, because it is absolutely huge. I had no idea there were two other giant Limsa Limosa-sized cities until I decided to see if other characters had the same intro as my marauder.

#8 10 months ago
  9. ActionGameKing

In one night, Square Enix has revived faith into the Final Fantasy brand. I for one, am relieved and happy that people are anticipating FF once again. I am fking overjoyed and excited for Square Enix’s future.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Schwarzerwind

Got my beta invite on Thursday night, finally managed to get on on Friday morning. Have only been able to put in a little time on it so far (it would have to come on a weekend I’m working stupid amounts), but with what I’ve seen, I’m really impressed.

It may sound kind of stupid, but everything about it that I’ve seen so far evokes the old feelings of Final Fantasy. I mean Character Creation is set to the classic FF theme. The Crystals are featured. The Warriors of Light mentioned. Just so much here and there.

I was even able to create Rhydia of Mist as a playable character, right down to the green hair and name. I was mega-hyped for ESO, but this has stolen some of that anticipation, I’ll say.

Final Fantasy for me is more than a brand. My first FF game was Final Fantasy II (US) when it was originally released. We couldn’t afford it, and video rentals were cheap back then, so we continually rented the same copy ($2 for 4 nights) until we beat it. I remember so much of that game it may as well be an entire year worth of childhood memories.

I tried to play any other FF games I could after that, which was hard considering we didn’t have internet back then, and importing Japanese games required a) you read Japanese and b) you had a large bank roll.

But I did buy FFIII (US) and I put probably 2 years of my life into that thing, finding every little hidden secret. The same followed suit with FF7.

But after X, things got weird. X-2 was more of a girl’s road movie and I couldn’t get into it. Then I lost all interest in what Square was calling Final Fantasy ….. until now.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Clupula

@10 – Since you’ve played IV (II) and VI (III), did you ever play I, II, or V? Just curious.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Gnosis

@4: It’s not too late, since they’re planning a forth phase. Just register, there will be more key waves and I’m sure they’ll go all out at some point for stress testing.

My impressions so far are quite positive. I’m glad they kept the nature of the main story missions similar to XI and not the first version of XIV and improved them. Especially at the beginning it’s nice not to require a whole party to win a fight. All of them are soloable with a little strategy and that’s a really nice touch. Low lvl fights tend to become pure button mashing. Oh, and a tripple “HELL YES!” for level cap restrictions. Didn’t have a chance to try out the Limit Breaks, next time, but from what I’ve heard they’re quite awesome too. Otherwise there’s not much difference from the previous tests. Thanalan and La Noscea are as expected incredibly beautiful and full of Easter eggs. If they keep their promise and implement our 1.0 chars next time, I’ll definitly try the high lvl dungeons and primal fights. Can’t wait.

#12 10 months ago
  13. POOP CRUSTY

@12 Awesome thanks! I signed up with the FF13 members card so hopefully that helps

#13 10 months ago
  14. CyberMarco

The 4th phase will be open-beta if I’m not mistaken. I would really like to get into this MMO, but I really despise subscriptions.

#14 10 months ago
  15. ivycrew707

AWWWWWWWWW over already…@14 agreed but this will be my first…..and for sure people getting it on ps3 add me PSN trev707….i wanna start clan building….or even pc for that matter lol

#15 10 months ago
  16. Clupula

@15 – It doesn’t show people’s screenname’s, but their character names. At least, I didn’t see any way to see their screennames.

But I wasn’t looking that hard.

#16 10 months ago
  17. Schwarzerwind

Played I, yes, can’t remember if I beat it or not, actually.

Did not get to play II.

I believe I got V as a rental copy once, like I did with Super Mario RPG (the local MicroPlay was renting Japanese copies of some games along with the converter), but I only remember pieces of it, likely because it was totally in Japanese.

#17 10 months ago
  18. Eddie Rodrigues

I got the Beta. It does look beautiful. But after playing TERA and RaiderZ the mechanics of this game, in battle terms, look a bit dull :/

#18 10 months ago
  19. Ireland Michael

Hilariously, this is probably the most Final Fantasy Final Fantasy I’ve played since FFIX.

That’s a little depressing.

#19 10 months ago
  20. ivycrew707

@16…yeah will be hard since everyone is going to have to re-create characters anyway….I’m looking on the forums but cant find any to gather a clan so I figure if added on ps3 we can meet up from there when its released

#20 10 months ago
  21. Gnosis

@20: Err… no. SE will transform all characters from the 1.0 into the new version. Although it’s not possible to transfer them onto the new servers, since it’d ruin the economy for the new players. Legacy chars will remain on legacy servers.

#21 10 months ago
  22. Vice

Got into a PC beta and boy oh boy, what a horrible piece OF GARBAGE!!! Is it a redone game? I never played original, but this one doesn’t looks like they been trying really hard… Same exploration, same “kill 10 of these monsters”, “bring me 5 of this item”, “use this item on that monster” quests. Nothing new, nothing original, and even quite unimpressive graphics-wise. Water has to be the ugliest I ever seen and fov leaves much to be desired. Anti-aliasing was absolutely broken.
    The only thing I liked is a breasts size slider, even though the maximum limit is far lower than what I’d want for my character.
    In short, this crap is gonna tank as hard as original did. Don’t waste your time on this.

#22 10 months ago