Prey 2 development shifted to Arkane Studios – rumor

Friday, 31st May 2013 14:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Prey 2 is no longer in the hands of Human Head, but Arkane Studios, according to a source close to Kotaku who is “in a position to have this information.”

According to the source, Human Head was in limbo for a year waiting on Bethesda to make a decision regarding the game’s development.

Since the game’s debut at E3 2011, the game was also moved into the hands of Obsidian “for at least a few months.” Bethesda even tried to get Rebellion to take over development, according to the source, but turned the project down.

Now, according to the source, the game is in the hands of Dishonored developer Arkane Studios, and some of the team members aren’t too happy to be working on the title.

However, the tipster said, higher-ups Arkane are telling the team to “forget that it’s called Prey 2 and just treat it like a new System Shock.” The game is being re-tooled, and now slated for 2016, according to the source.

Arkane has two teams: one in Austin, TX and one in Lyon, France. It’s rumored the studio is also working on a sequel to Dishonored, so the second team could be working on Prey 2.

Kotaku said it held off on this information until it could confirm the majority of it, and went live with the information once Prey 2 fansite Alien Noire seemed to have gleaned the same information.

Bethesda won’t comment on the matter, according to Kotaku.

Take all this as a rumor until something official is announced.

1. KrazyKraut

mh….kotaku..

mh…rumor…

mh..looks logical after Dishonored success.

2. Dark

Sad.
    oh well , Arkane is a much better choice
    i don’t want to touch anything from Obsidian.

3. bitsnark

If true, I reckon Arkane could knock that shit out of the park.

Excited!

4. YoungZer0

Wow, that would make me actually really, really angry.

Who in their right mind would do that? What kind of fucking asshole publisher do you have to be to do something like that to a developer?

Stop the development mid-way through, leave it in limbo for a whole year and then hire someone else to finish the Job? How is that even legal? I don’t care for Arkane. I loved Dishonored but why are they doing this to Human Head? It’s not like they refuse to finish it. What the fuck is going on there?

Whenever you hire work forces to finish the work of someone else, it always ends horribly. See Duke Nukem and Alien Colonial Marines.

If this turns out to be true, I’m not buying anything from Bethesda again. This is just an insane way to treat a developer.

5. Ercarret

Too bad Obsidian’s no longer on it, if that was ever the case. It could have been really interesting.

Arkane made a great game in Dishonored, but if it’s not the same actual studio working on Prey 2 then that doesn’t really say anything. I’m kind of wary with regards to multiple same-name studios. It makes it difficult, as a consumer, to keep track of what pedigree any given studio has. There are some studios that can pull that off. Bioware is a good example, even if they’re also a good example of when the developer name is diluted by too many studios.

Still, I’m glad Prey 2 isn’t dead. It looked really promising. It would be nice with an update at E3.

6. Moonwalker1982

Getting a huge Duke Nukem Fornever vibe from this. Very sad for Human Head, it looked fantastic and while we don’t know what really took place and happened, this is quite a shit situation for them. I do think Arkane can get this one out there though.

7. bitsnark

Its a shitty situation for HH for sure, but as far as Arkane are concerned, I was under the impression that they would be starting from scratch.

From the article:

“Last week, the tipster says, Bethesda finally forced their hand: Arkane would develop Prey 2, scrapping all the work that Human Head has done and starting from scratch, with a targeted release date of late 2016.”

8. OnionPowder

All these references to Duke Nukem are hilarious because this was the original Duke Nukem Forever. Before Duke Nukem came out Prey 1 had the longest development cycle ever at 11 years. Also the original Prey was originally a 3D Realms project before being handed over to Human Head who finished it up, just like DNF.

This brand is cursed and is destined to be in development hell it seems. It’s already been in development for ~4 years or more even and now there is the possibility it’s been scrapped and we’ll have to wait until 2016 to see it? Which sucks because the gameplay video they showed off was mighty impressive and I’ve been extremely excited for it.

9. Moonwalker1982

What the fuck man. Scrapping all the work HH did? How fucking shitty is that? It truly looked really damn nice.

10. Edo

I honestly don’t know what to think about this…

11. Phoenixblight

It happens if a company is not making milestones the publisher can just stop the work on it and since Bathesda own the rights they can move it to another developer and far more competent one that is able to meet milestones.

“Which sucks because the gameplay video they showed off was mighty impressive and I’ve been extremely excited for it.”

This happens all the time most devs make a really good demo but the game is only 10% done. The same thing happened with Thief’s reboot and they did it with 1313.

12. Ali

That’s easily the most laughable rumor ever. Why would Bethesda bury all the work it has done on the game with Human Head but making Arkane turn it into a totally different game ?

Rebellion and Obisidian have been mentioned plenty of times on the Internet by the fans speculating who is gonna touch the game with HumaHead out of the way.

And then we have this 2016 release date, what’s that, none would bother remembering Prey 2 if it didn’t get released within these years.

I really expect Bethesda to shoot this down ASAP !

13. TheLastDodo

Sucks for Human Head obviously.

I can’t moan about Arkane getting the job if the rumour is true, very talented studio, Dishonored was one of my favourite games of 2012 and if left to their own devices I’m sure they could knock out something amazing.

It could be worse…..Bethesda could get Nihilstic to do it.

14. The_Red

I love System Shock and I love Dishonored but Prey 2 was NOT a SS game. It was an awesome and unique game that looked phenomenal when it was shown at E3, better looking than even Bethesda’s own Skyrim but no, they had to take the project away from Human Head and ruin it.

15. OmegaSlayer

Prey 2 was maybe one of the game that spiked my interest more this gen.
    The concept and artstyle hooked me up totally.
    Arkane could be good, changing it to System Shock no.

16. unacomn

If this turns out to be true, I may need to change my pants. Arkane does one thing, and it does it well, emulating Looking Glass. This could be one of the best things ever.

17. apollyonbob

The irony of course being that it looks like HH had said “Forget it’s called Prey 2 and just treat it like a new Deus Ex.”

Prey 1 was not about a bounty hunter and crazy cyber enhanced FPS. Treating Prey 2 like it’s a new System Shock is much closer to the original Prey than what this sequel had previously looked like.

18. YoungZer0

@7: If that really is the case then I’m done with Bethesda. This is the worst case scenario coming true.

@17: Doesn’t matter. I wanted an open world bounty hunter sci-fi game and now all I’m gonna get is a system shock rip-off.

If the rumors are true. This doesn’t sound like it’s made up.

19. harr0w

While I don’t doubt arkane won’t do a great job depending on how much they will change. It should of stayed with human head studios Bethesda acting like children with they way they treated them.